Switch 2 Speculation

The most probable choice is to find a non-Nvidia SOC for future next-gen consoles, and use 7nm tegra for backward compatibility and a secondary SOC.

It would be pretty costly... And going the non nvidia route means another dev environment/api/dev tools...

If you're gonna do this, hell, stay with nVidia even for the new soc. I really believe a dlss2.0 capable SoC would do wonder (of course devs have to implement it on their engine). Yes tensor cores are not cheap, but raw power to deliver 1440p or more isn't either...

The most probable choice is to find a non-Nvidia SOC for future next-gen consoles, and use 7nm tegra for backward compatibility and a secondary SOC.

nintendo have experience with software emulator, they could emulate Switch in Switch 2.

I don't think they had any software BC for the previous console in a new console? GC and Wii BC was all done in hardware on the Wii and Wii U right?

Personally I think Nintendo should just go for 1080p, maybe with some 4k assets for the UI and DLSS if that is possible. I've said it before but 4k isn't really that much better, especially not on the most common screen sizes. 1080p with good IQ and better in game settings will probably end up being a fair bit better than butchering IQ just to hit 4k.

Also, is there any chance there is going to be mobile hardware to truly do 4k while running the same games on the next gen consoles in the next couple of years while also being affordable?

My target would be next gen compatibility at 1080p 2 ~ 3 years from now.

Unless Nvidia wants to make a marketing exercise out of it I don't see how this makes much of a difference for Nintendo. Nvidia already makes ARM based chips so there probably wasn't anything from holding Nvidia back to do another SoC for Nintendo, be it something off the shelve or more custom, if both parties could come to an agreement.

It means Nvidia wouldn't need to licence a newer CPU for a new customer SOC for the Switch successor. I dont see how this wouldn't make it less expensive for Nvidia to crate a newer Tegra processor for Switch 2.

Nvidia kind of need to recoup the 40 Billion from somewhere, right? If anything it could mean costlier SOCs for Nintendo.

Nvidia kind of need to recoup the 40 Billion from somewhere, right? If anything it could mean costlier SOCs for Nintendo.

I doubt that. If your a landscaping company that always rents your equipment, you think that would make your company more money? Yes, there is the upfront cost buying equipment far greater than renting, but over time the increased profits from not having to rent equipment pay back the initial investment and now profits are even greater. Im sure Nvidia is looking to the mobile market to recoup the investment far more so than their partnership with Nintendo. Some of the cost of the Tegra X1 in Switch went to ARM, now it will all be Nvidia. If Nvidia buys ARM, and this actually increases the cost of supplying ARM CPU's, then that was a poor business decision that could sink the ship, and an SOC for Nintendo would be the least of their worries. At the worst, Nvidia will be positioned to supply Nintendo with an SOC in the same price point as the X1, but with higher margins thanks to no licensing.

The buy will not be effective before 12-18 months, right ? So short term, I don't think it changes a thing for Nintendo.

I dont think it really changes things for Nintendo even down the road. I just think it makes it possible for Nvidia to offer a SOC with better margins because they wont have the licensing cost. I doubt we will see the Switch 2 for another 3 years.

I dont think it really changes things for Nintendo even down the road. I just think it makes it possible for Nvidia to offer a SOC with better margins because they wont have the licensing cost. I doubt we will see the Switch 2 for another 3 years.

Rumors say something will be out by 2021...If true, the hardware is already done. Will see...

They need to be careful in the long run. The switch isn't anything unique that other companies can't mimic or make better.

how about the dell UFO but with Xbox series s hardware on 5nm tech in 2021/22 ?
https://www.yankodesign.com/images/...-10-gaming-device/alienware_concept_ufo_4.jpg
https://cdn.oneesports.gg/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/UFO_Unit-1024x576.jpg

Better yet what about a that design but running a newer Zen cpu and navi 3 targeting 4tflops . You get access to all backwards compatible xbox , xbox 360 , xbox one games and you get to play all the xbox series games also.

Its the same for sony in all honesty. What if they target ps4 pro performance using newer amd tech for a new psp/vita experiance that can play ps4 and ps5 games.

I think for Nintendo the biggest issue will be IO performance , a simple sd card isn't going to match the ssd performance in even the xbox series s. So what does Nintendo do ? If ms made a portable unit they already have a hot swappable solution.

Given Switch launched four years after Xbox One, at a much lower performance point and at quite a high price, and has now outsold Xbox One, I don’t think raw hardware performance is a priority for Nintendo.

It’s clearly not holding them back. :nope:

Given Switch launched four years after Xbox One, at a much lower performance point and at quite a high price, and has now outsold Xbox One, I don’t think raw hardware performance is a priority for Nintendo.

they haven't been competitive since the gamecube in terms of power.

I think the main reasons the switch was popular is 1) Nintendo first party titles 2) its the only portable system in town really 3) the xbox one/ ps4 didn't really add any gpu features that the tegra couldn't do and so it was easy to drop resolution and effect quality to make it work.

I think 1 and 2 are a shoe in for a switch pro. However with 3 if they don't come out with a chip with raytracing and other features they will have a lot more issues as the generation goes on and ray tracing becomes a standard feature on the home consoles.

For the moment it's not, but it may fare worse when its 1080p-1440p competition is a 4TF RDNA2 GPU, with 8 Zen 2 cores at 3.6/3.8GHz, and 2.4GB/s I/O.

They'll be fine for at least a year, maybe two. But at a certain point, the Switch will lose some glister.

If a Switch 2 releases within a couple of years and can be mentioned in the same breath as the XSS, I think it'll be pretty exciting hardware, even if it's nearly as underpowered as the Switch is compared to the XB1.

Back