Bloomberg on PS5 yields, orders, and price ranges [2020-09-14]

That’s not the only reason chips yield poorly. It’s also likely 300 mm^2 or thereabouts. It’s not a 70nm chiplet like AMD is known for.

I still think that is the biggest reason, that some chips are probably not hitting the boost clock stably.

powershift allows them to never have to announce a downclock. to the end user they wont notice if the ps5 hits max clock speed 10% of the time or 90% of the time (numbers out my ass). How would an end user even be able to check it.

Are you saying they can cheat their way out in giving big numbers because nobody is able to spot it?

I see no correlation between the Bloomberg article and what you're suggesting (or is happening) at the upcoming PS5 event?

The event will have to tie down everything about the PS5, they can sneak in a lowered clock figures after prepping the news about yields problems?

Presentationally, this is bad if your part of the AMD/Sony/TSMC trifecta, consumers don’t care or won't be impacted as long as they can buy a console at a decent price.

It’s always interesting to watch the market react to news like this, Sony’s share price dropped but it may not be them picking up the tab. Of course, if may. It depends on their AMD/TSMC contract. I struggle to muster genuine concern regarding the finances for these multi-billion companies. :yep2:

I'm not a shareholder so as long as somebody (not me the consumer) eats the cost and I can get a PS5 - of which there will be more than PS4 - I’m good. :yes:

Last edited by a moderator:
The event will have to tie down everything about the PS5, they can sneak in a lowered clock figures after prepping the news about yields problems?

The Bloomberg story doesn't even mention high-clocks being the source of the cause. So, I see no correlation of that being presented in a conference dealing with mostly games and possible pricing.

The Bloomberg story doesn't even mention high-clocks being the source of the cause. So, I see no correlation of that being presented in a conference dealing with mostly games and possible pricing.

High clocks usually are part of the causes to lowered yields is that not the case?

Back