PC Game Pass, now includes EA Play! [PCGP, XGP:PC]

It kicks in during the Holidays, so its not launched anywhere yet.

EA Play is not some highly generous GamePass PC subscription service, it's old games with a push for users to spend on microtransactions and DLC for those games, and for users to upgrade to Play Premium. Neither EA nor MS are being altruistic good guys here. Both companies profit from what is essentially a service addition with practically zero cost for either company.

Considering I've avoided EA games for the past however many years due to them withdrawing from Steam, it's quite valuable to me. :) MS could have easily limited it to Game Pass Ultimate like they did on consoles, but it's great that they didn't.

Regards,
SB

Considering I've avoided EA games for the past however many years due to them withdrawing from Steam, it's quite valuable to me. :) MS could have easily limited it to Game Pass Ultimate like they did on consoles, but it's great that they didn't.

Regards,
SB
in the last few years I haven't played many games 'cos of studies and having the chance to play wonderful EA games like Star Wars Battlefront, Need for Speed, BF4, BF1 and many many other games, made me abandon Steam for a while. I still have some Steam games that are like my favourite games: RE2R. PES 2020, AO Tennis 2, Tennis World Tour..., but with EA Play and gamepass PC I barely touch Steam now, except when I play a game with my best friend -like sports games for the most part-

I think the subscription model will be the death of Steam. It surprises me how Valve has failed to adapt, or even meaningfully drop their 30% take.

I think the subscription model will be the death of Steam. It surprises me how Valve has failed to adapt, or even meaningfully drop their 30% take.

They haven't had to. Even Epic giving away free games hasn't made a dent in their sales volume.

At least unlike Epic they reinvest a lot of that money back into the service. It took me using EGS to fully grasp what I'd have to give up if I stopped using Steam. And it's just not worth it to go to crap store with a crap launcher. So now, I have a game (that I paid for) and all the DLC for it on EGS that I'll never play again.

Steam continue to be at the forefront of storefronts not because they attempt to force users to use their service (Epic Games Store) but instead they make their store easy to use with many features that some find invaluable. IE - make people WANT to use your store, don't FORCE people to use your store. Likewise, make developers want to use your storefront instead of paying them to use your storefront.

As a storefront the biggest threat to Steam right now is GoG because they are also now focusing on the user experience of their launcher. But they'll never truly be able to surpass steam because they don't allow games with DRM to be on their storefront.

Game Pass is certainly going to eat into Steam sales...and EGS sales...and GoG sales. Or is it. Many people who like a game that leaves Game Pass...buy the game on Steam. Or if they find out that this game they just played that they like on Game Pass makes other games...off to Steam many of them go.

Epic certainly has the money to take on Steam, unfortunately their are going about it all ass backwards.

Regards,
SB

don't FORCE people to use your store.
Do you mean like when I bought the orange box and realised I was FORCED to install steam ? or when I realised If I wanted to install the latest version of Counter Strike I would have to install steam
the same with Half Life

Do you mean like when I bought the orange box and realised I was FORCED to install steam ? or when I realised If I wanted to install the latest version of Counter Strike I would have to install steam
the same with Half Life

Games developed and published by Valve? Why? I had no problems with EA not selling their games on Steam. I just didn't buy EA games. Valve didn't pay other developers for exclusivity and force them to not release on other storefronts like Epic.

I do have a problem with a game that I kickstarted on Fig which promised a release on Steam and GoG and then Epic paid them money so that it suddenly became exclusive to the EGS. And then the company breaking their crowd funding promise which got people to fund their project because that was part of the contract with Epic. So now I have a game I paid for on a platform I'm never going to use again unless it improves significantly. And I don't just blame Epic for this, I'll also never be buying or funding another title by Snapshot games.

So yeah, when Epic demands that you fuck over the customers that got your game funded in return for money? That's scummy trash tactics in the extreme.

Regards,
SB

Wasn't Counter Strike actually officially released before Valve bought it and it has been exclusive to Steam ever since then? I've never seen Valve having to take shit for that.
I found this article and it says the game had more players than TF Classic by the time Valve contacted them
https://www.pcgamesn.com/counter-strike/the-making-of-counter-strike

I don't particularly like Epic's methods, but Valve is also living on old goodwill IMO. Valve does deserve credit however for having dominated the digital stores for almost 20 years and basically made Steam synonymous to PC gaming.
Sales on Steam aren't like they used to be and the last "pro consumer" I actually remember liking them for was when they gave away free games about 9 years ago during the Christmas event.

Last edited:
Wasn't Counter Strike actually officially released before Valve bought it and it has been exclusive to Steam ever since then? I've never seen Valve having to take shit for that.
I found this article and it says the game had more players than TF Classic by the time Valve contacted them
https://www.pcgamesn.com/counter-strike/the-making-of-counter-strike

Sure, and while I don't like Epic buying the Rocket League developers and making that exclusive to EGS (at least future updates and releases), Epic can do what it want with it's own studios.

Thank goodness Microsoft no longer has that same mentality. It would suck for people that crowd funded Wasteland 3 to no longer be able to get it from the stores they funded the game for or the platforms that were promised.

I don't particularly like Epic's methods, but Valve is also living on old goodwill IMO. Valve does deserve credit however for having dominated the digital stores for almost 20 years and basically made Steam synonymous to PC gaming.
Sales on Steam aren't like they used to be and the last "pro consumer" I actually remember liking them for was when they gave away free games about 9 years ago during the Christmas event.

The most recent "pro consumer" thing they've implemented and I can't do without anymore is local multiplayer over internet. Prior to that it'd be a hassle sometimes getting friends together to play those games at 1 person's house. While not perfect (some games are more susceptible to internet latency than others) it works surprisingly well for games that weren't designed to be played over the internet.

With the pandemic, it's even more useful than it was before.

The other one that I use almost religiously. The user ratings graph over time. Invaluable for seeing if a game is potentially getting review bombed, but more importantly absolutely invaluable to see how the developer is supporting their game (seeing if user reviews are trending upwards or downwards over time) post release.

Regardless, they aren't perfect. None of the stores are. But they are certainly head and shoulders above everyone else. Although as I keep mentioning GoG are working hard to close the gap. Their launcher is pretty impressive now although they are still missing key features that I use on Steam.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
It surprises me how Valve has failed to adapt
Adapt to what? Their yearly record sales volume?
Especially this year where digital content revenue is hitting all-time highs?

Everyone around Valve has had to adapt to Steam, not the other way around.
EA tried selling their PC games exclusively on Origin at the start of this last console gen and eventually they had to come back to make money. Microsoft tried the same with their 1st party titles exclusive on the windows store but it also failed and they had to go into Steam as well.

Adapt to what? Their yearly record sales volume?
Especially this year where digital content revenue is hitting all-time highs?

Everyone around Valve has had to adapt to Steam, not the other way around.
EA tried selling their PC games exclusively on Origin at the start of this last console gen and eventually they had to come back to make money. Microsoft tried the same with their 1st party titles exclusive on the windows store but it also failed and they had to go into Steam as well.
Steam is more vulnerable now than it has been in a long time. Everyone is looking for ways to move away from it. If they simply dropped their cut to something like 15% I think that would all stop.

Steam is more vulnerable now than it has been in a long time. Everyone is looking for ways to move away from it.

These statements are in direct contradiction with hard data.

Don't believe Epic's narrative made to promote their competing store, it's just PR.
Steam isn't going anywhere and all that Epic's been achieving so far is splurging money. Thankfully, it's money from Tencent and the chinese government, so it's fine.

These statements are in direct contradiction with hard data.

Don't believe Epic's narrative made to promote their competing store, it's just PR.
Steam isn't going anywhere and all that Epic's been achieving so far is splurging money. Thankfully, it's money from Tencent and the chinese government, so it's fine.
like everything there are cases and cases. Personally, Steam has RE2R, F1 2020, PES 2020 and tennis games I play with my best friend IRL on my PC.

However, I never thought I'd say this but it's been a lot of time since I used Steam or GoG regularly. Now I spend ALL my gaming time -save the odd RE2R play- playing EA Access and Gamepass PC, just as an example of my library of games, this is a screenshot from gamepass PC I took today. (didnt install RE7, cos I already have it)

t3ErQ10.png

On the 17th gamepass will be $10 per month
sure, the app is a bit beta at the moment, but anyways. They collected the monthly fee september 14th, still 3,99€ but I guess it is going to be 9,99€ the next month.

Back