The scalability and evolution of game engines *spawn*

Point was 1440p 30fps will get scaled down to something in the range of 720p 30fps, instead of 1080p.
1440p scaling down to 1080p only decreases the resolution by a factor of 1.77 and by current knowledge isn't doable with 1/3 of the same FLOPS on the same architecture.

My point was to expect 720p~900p on the XBSS, not 1080p across the board.
Hi, next gen graphics with 720p/900p.
What happens when XBSX and PS5 struggle to hit 1080p on an unknown future game?
will we be expecting SD definition?
Sure, I an probably run crysis on integrated graphics at something like 240p, but is that what we want?
There is a floor there in which you can scale. Scale the resolution down to some point and it breaks down.

Memory is another issue but apparently everybody thinks scaling down textures will fix the missing 6GB, which I don't think makes much sense.

4K=>2K is 1/4 the size, so 6GB=3/4 of the size, implying 8G of 4K textures for PS5/XBSX?

...And apparently we're back to the "lazy devs" argument 10 years ago.

I get what you're saying - genuine question - how are XBO games these days? That's not had to drop massively and that was a weak machine with a weak CPU etc, so maybe the XSS won't be so bad?

I can't believe that one machine has 10GB and the other 16GB
I asked this before but noone replied, has this actually been confirmed?

Its crazy, sure I can understand lower TF as thats easy to scale down but less memory!!! This will hamper every single game in development much much more than 12TF vs 4TF and will make it impossible to extract maximum performance from either machine

and yes I do understand textures can use 1/4 size so consume less memory and the framebuffer stuff will use less but its still not gonna work well

Its crazy, sure I can understand lower TF as thats easy to scale down but less memory!!! This will hamper every single game in development much much more than 12TF vs 4TF and will make it impossible to extract maximum performance from either machine

and yes I do understand textures can use 1/4 size so consume less memory and the framebuffer stuff will use less but its still not gonna work well

Rumored specs were pretty much spot on so I would say that the rumored 10GB size is worth debating.
Lets not mention that 4TF is also unconfirmed but we're talking about it anyway.

Memory difference works very well for xbox one and xbox one x.

Memory difference works very well for xbox one and xbox one x.
Yes because no one targets the extra memory of the xbox one X, its just sitting there unused (except larger RT's or perhaps larger textures on a few games) Thats not what I call working well
I assume you're not seriously suggesting that they just limit themselves to just 10GB and the let the SX use its extra 6 GB for similar stuff, now that seems a waste
This will also potentially harm multiplatform PS titles

The same way the console in general always has done 'harm' to the pc by having much lower ram amounts (and are still going to harm going forward 2021)?

That's certainly not true. A new console generation usually defines a new spec baseline for PC gamers. Most hardcore PC gamers usually want their specs ahead of the consoles.

I must have the wrong rumor in my head. I thought the speculation/ "leak" information had it with 12GB of RAM and the same OS reservation, leaving 9.5GB for games instead of the 13.5 on the Series X.

...and now I go hunting rumors only the find that everyone is listing the 10GB figure. I could swear it was 12GB not long ago....

There are some who said 12 GB and gave bus widths. There are others who listed 10 GB but no bus widths. We have speculated on both configurations in the other threads, I believe.

That only makes the situation worse. So what data are you going to cut from the RAM to free up 6 gigs?

Given that 4k=>2k saves 75% on textures it was a good candidate. The more 4k textures, the easier time the XBSS has in shaving off the required ram. Other stuff won't scale nearly as well.

Faster SSD probably exacerbates the problem because it should reduce the proportion of the ram reserved for textures as devs load in/out textures as they need it.

Good points. With blazing fast streaming and proper virtual texturing systems, It makes you think how much of SeriesX 16GB will actually be used for texture caching. If it is less than 6GB, and if your virtual texturing system is working right it damn well should be, than SeriesS will need to cut something else.

The thing is, surely screen resolution does affect the size of your texture cache. Sebbbi used to explain how he would do the math to determine the allocation for his own system based on the premise the virtual texture cache should have roughly enough memory to store a texel for every screen pixel, plus a bit extra overhead to account for whatever inneficiencies ofcourse.

But still, even if you slash the texture cache to 1/4, for a game going from 4k to 1080p, that will only save you full 6GB of ram on S if on X the cache was taking 4x that, which is 24GB. Ugh, seems like the math don't add up hugh...

Other easy candidates for memory reduction that are also somewhat correlated with screen res are shadow maps resolution, atmospherics voxel volumes, and maybe GI volumes. That already don't smell too good to me because all of those are, at least currently, pretty low res for 1080p even, so their curting-back won't go un-noticed.

Point was 1440p 30fps will get scaled down to something in the range of 720p 30fps, instead of 1080p.
1440p scaling down to 1080p only decreases the resolution by a factor of 1.77 and by current knowledge isn't doable with 1/3 of the same FLOPS on the same architecture.

My point was to expect 720p~900p on the XBSS, not 1080p across the board.
Hi, next gen graphics with 720p/900p.
What happens when XBSX and PS5 struggle to hit 1080p on an unknown future game?

I wouldn't worry too much about that. I don't think many games will fail 4k on series X.

If it's a first or second party games, MS will probably recommend they hit that target, and it will make sense to hit it anyway so the S and X versions play nice together.

If it's a third party game, it will most likely be hitting PS5 as well, and targetting 4k or close to it on both. If their graphics become so demanding that resolution will start to suffer, ir will happen on PS5 FIRST, and Series X will still have its 2TF and extea bandwith leeway to not stray from target when PS5 does.

It seems to me like the power differential between X>PS5>S makes it the most obvious and easy choice for devs to target a solid 4k native on X, whatever that gets them on PS5 and 1080p for S or whatever higher res they can muster there.

I would predict games that don't hit 4k on X will be about as rare as those that don't hit 1080p on PS4, which despite the apocaliptic predictions from pessimists years ago turned out to not be that many.

I think games will only break away fron 4k native on X when they have some fancy reconstruction tech that makes the difference irrelevant, in that case, same reconstruction will be inherited by the S version too.

A Senior Technical Producer's opinion on this matter is the equivalent of a janitor's hot take. (hint: a technical producer is not a developer... they do HR, budgets, management etc)

He is not a developer but he knows what the teams are thinking and this is not the first time we hear this. Digitalfoundry Richard Leadbetter told in a video devs don't like Xbox Series S and he said this is the polite version of what they said to him.

How do you budget a game? if you don't have any idea of high level technical side of the job...

Back