When will current-gen console production stop? [XO, PS4] *spawn*

• Thread starter Deleted member 11852
  • Start date
On the other hand, Xbox One wasn't BC with 360 games from the start. When released, the Xbox Series S/X will be compatible with previous gen Xbox games.

When you can buy XSS, which is compatible with new and old Xbox games, for the same low price than Xbox One S it doesn't make sense to keep producing Xbox Ones.

XSeS is really not compatible with new and old games, what are you talking about?

It doesnt have disc drive, so it is only compatible with digital versions.

So if someone needs a console that plays xbox one + 360 games, and have discs = XSeX or xses+one it is.

Dunno if XSeX runs xbox games at all. (First Xbox)

Dunno if XSeX runs xbox games at all. (First Xbox)

Xbox Series S & X will both run backward compatible games including Xbox, Xbox 360 & Xbox One. The backward compatible system only checks the disk to see if it's valid & then it requires you to download the full digital game. With no drive on the XBSS it will only play digital backward compatible games that are on your account.

BTW, if you want to use an abbreviation for the Series consoles these are the accepted ones: XSS, XBSS, XSX or XBSX. No E's are needed.

Tommy McClain

Not new, but the second hand market will likely balloon as folks upgrade.

Yes. I expect that to be a boom for GameStop or the other shops which deal with the second hand market. There used to be a few different ones in my area but they had all closed down because they couldn't compete with GameStop.

As for trade-in values, I expected anywhere from $0.52 to $2.74. Surprisingly, their trade-in values aren't as bad as I thought they'd be.

Xbox One 500GB Launch edition $75
Xbox One S Digital edition $85
One S 500GB $100
One S 1TB $110
One X $175

PS4 500GB $100
PS4 Slim 1TB $140
PS4 Pro 1TB $175

In Italy they give 200 euros for a ps4 (this is incredible, even 7 years old ps4)... 230 for ps4pro and oneX, 100 for oneS, 70 for One....

Microsoft has removed the xbox one s from the company store. The last time this happened was the one x getting removed and then two months later it was discontinued. So speculation time but I think after the holiday there wont be restock of Xbox one s and MS will be all next gen

Makes sense. Presumably they continued to make PS4 Pro units until their stock of parts was exhausted. It would be fascinating to know who is in the market for a new PS4 Pro right now though!

4pro also have the same price as PS5 digital edition here. Better to buy PS5 haha

It'll stop when Sony says so lol.
I think MS is long done with their last gen consoles though, no reason to build them when everything is BC and Series S is superior and cheap.

So, apparently Sony plan to produce one million PS4s for 2022. If sales continue like they did in Dec. then that might be an appropriate number. They sold a bit less than 100k PS4's worldwide in December. However, that was the lowest sales of any month in 2021 which shows constantly declining sales. However, it's been relatively flat (slight decline) since Aug, 2021. So one million looks like a reasonable number for how many they might be able to sell in 2022.

At a rate of one million per year, only 40 more years until PS4 sales catch PS2. ;)

Regards,
SB

Sony has started making even more PS4 consoles. It seems last-gen for Sony will survive until 2023 if not even later. Does this mean they will continue making even more firstparty games as cross-gen?

Older consoles continue to sell well in markets where economies are a bit lower than your typical G20 country and Sony has a long history of manufacturing consoles way past when the successor is introduced, e.g.

PS2 launched in 2000, original PlayStation discontinued in 2006.
PS3 launched in 2006/07, PS2 discontinued in 2013 which was PS4's launch year!
PS4 launched in 2013, PS3 discontinued in 2017.

Older consoles continue to sell well in markets where economies are a bit lower than your typical G20 country and Sony has a long history of manufacturing consoles way past when the successor is introduced
This isn't for those countries.

Think I heard last month that second hand market for PS4/Pro was through the roof.
Guess a lot of people sold or gave away their PS4's expecting to be able to pick up a PS5 and got fed up waiting.

This isn't for those countries. Think I heard last month that second hand market for PS4/Pro was through the roof.

My bad, I didn't read the article in full. I only recently donated my PS4 Pro to the local children's hospital about two months back. I thought I had already done this, then I found it and realised I hadn't. I must have dreamt doing it or I'm just losing it with age. :-|

MS have confirmed they stopped manufacturing all One consoles at the end of 2020. We know they'd stopped making OneX's but this is the first official confirmation of the OneS and SaD being discontinued.

https://www.theverge.com/2022/1/13/22881211/microsoft-discontinues-xbox-one-consoles-2020

TIV for Xbox One and PS4 generation is quite high, meaning store stock has plummeted and only the used market is still going. I can't believe some TIV prices for One X right now. Higher than when I TIV at launch.

Back