Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War (COD BOCW) [PS4, PS5, XO, XBSX|S, PC]

I don't think Activision actually thought it all through before making any decisions.
Its the most confusing thing I've seen with BC so far.
Complete Tally: https://www.resetera.com/threads/yo...old-war-to-xbox-series-x.274979/post-43588163

PS5 Physical Version ($70): Runs on PS5; Doesn't run on PS4
PS5 Digital Version ($70): Runs on PS5; Doesn't run on PS4
PS4 Physical Version ($60): Runs on PS4; Runs on PS5 via BC (no visual/performance upgrades); Offers a paid ($10) upgrade to the native PS5 version
PS4 Digital Version ($60): Runs on PS4; Runs on PS5 via BC (no visual/performance upgrades); Offers a paid ($10) upgrade to the native PS5 version

XBSX Physical Version ($70): Runs on XBSX; Runs on XB1
XBSX Digital Version ($70): Runs on XBSX; Runs on XB1
XB1 Physical Version ($60): Runs on XB1, Runs on XBSX via BC (no visual/performance upgrades); Doesn't offer a paid ($10) upgrade
XB1 Digital Version ($60): Runs on XB1, Runs on XBSX via BC (no visual/performance upgrades); Offers a paid ($10) upgrade to the native XBSX version. <-- not sure about this; still being evaluated

this is balls:
Both current generation versions (PlayStation 4 and Xbox One) will be playable on their respective next-generation console via backwards compatibility by downloading the game from your account’s digital library. But, the game will not include any of the next-generation features, such as higher framerate, hardware based ray-tracing, faster load times, and more.

About as much text as Ubisoft versions.
Cross-generation compatibility

• PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5: Purchase the Ultimate Edition on PlayStation 4 and receive a digital entitlement to both the PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5 versions of the game. The PlayStation 4 version will download immediately to your console when Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War launches on November 13th. The PlayStation 5 version of the game will automatically become available for download from your account library once the PlayStation 5 launches later this year. If you purchase the Cross-Gen Bundle on PlayStation 5, you will also receive an entitlement to the PlayStation 4 version of the game. The Battle Pass, Tier Skips, and Land/Sea/Air Pack content will be available for use across both the PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5 versions of the game when upgrading/transitioning between console generations within the same family.
  • Xbox One and Xbox Series X: Purchase the Ultimate Edition on Xbox One and receive a digital entitlement to both the Xbox One and Xbox Series X versions of the game. The Xbox One version will download immediately to your console when Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War launches on November 13th. The Xbox Series X version of the game will automatically become available for download from your account library once the Xbox Series X launches later this year. If you purchase the Cross-Gen Bundle on Xbox Series X, you will also receive an entitlement to the Xbox One version of the game. The Battle Pass, Tier Skips, and Land/Sea/Air Pack content will be available for use across both the Xbox One and Xbox Series X versions of the game when upgrading/transitioning between console generations within the same family.
The digital Ultimate Edition is available for pre-order on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC on Battle.net through platform stores and select Call of Duty in-game stores.

Last edited:
So if you get the physical version of the XB1 you can't upgrade. The digital version is still TBD.

All PS4 version are upgradable for 10$.

edit: MS is doing Activision a favor by forcing every XBO user to buy the next-gen version just in case.

So if you get the physical version of the XB1 you can't upgrade. The digital version is still TBD.

All PS4 version are upgradable for 10$.

edit: MS is doing Activision a favor by forcing every XBO user to buy the next-gen version just in case.
so basically this is what Activision did from a technical perspective on Xbox.
2 SKUs: XSX and XBO
  • XSX supports the smart delivery license
  • XBO is XBO only license no smart delivery support.
Here's the kicker @jayco tell me what to expect in terms of stuff for us 4Pro and X1X owners? Because it's sounding like they didn't make that version. I did a ctrl+F on that FAQ page, 4Pro and X1X do not come up. Here's some interesting language:

The entire community across PlayStation (PS4, PS5), Xbox (Xbox One, Xbox One S, Xbox Series X), and PC (Battle.net) can party up and play together.

Maybe it's a given? That the premium systems are still covered under their respective brand names.
Nah, it’s the first time I’ve not seen details on mid gen enhancements for such a large release. And listing Xbox One and Xbox One S but not the X is suspect.

I think it’s on purpose to move those to the PS5 and XSX versions respectively.

both mid gen devices are normally capable of fauxK60 and I think they moved this to next gen to charge more.

It's still possible it's upgraded, but they certainly aren't talking about it.

Last edited:
Though come to think of it this is basically a cross gen game....it's likely running 1080p(dynamic) 60fps on PS4....so 4K(dynamic) 120fps on next gen consoles may very well be possible?....

Looks really good for a cross gen game, better than i expected.. Base consoles going to suffer heavily i suspect.

Love it or hate it, COD has been looking mighty fine since the last MW remake. Ray Tracing on PS5 while running that fast? Interesting.

Did they show any actual gameplay? The last bit in the desert looked really nice if that's how it looks while playing.

Did they show any actual gameplay? The last bit in the desert looked really nice if that's how it looks while playing.
I understood that as a peek at the large scale mode in multiplayer with the preceding footage as single player. Hence the drop in visuals.

Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War will bring back Zombies, but the Zombies Onslaught mode will only be available on PS4 and PS5 for a full year, leaving Xbox and PC players behind. By the time the mode heads to other platforms, most will already be moving on to whatever next year’s Call of Duty ends up being.

Hope PC Players have plenty of space available, like 175 GB to 250 GB.

---
https://www.theverge.com/2020/10/30...tions-requirements-250gb-space-ultra-settings

Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War needs up to 250GB of space on PC
It could take up an entire SSD

Activision has revealed the full PC specifications for Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War, and the storage requirements are hefty. If you’re planning to play the game in 4K with ultra settings enabled and ray tracing, you’ll need to free up 250GB of space. That’s the top end of the specs, but anything else still requires 175GB of space. That’s a lot of storage, and for some, it could take up an entire 250GB SSD or get very close to it.

BOCW_PC_SPECS.jpg

Back