Putting my PC in a new case with a few upgrades, but...

SUCCESS!!!

I really screwed the pooch on the project though. Took her all apart, cleaned everything, put her lovingly in her new case, arranged all the HDDs just so, fans just right, even did neater than usual cable management!

And she just would boot loop when I plugged her in.

After a lot of bad words and self hatred, I took the mobo out figuring it was a short or something...that's when I noticed the back of both sticks of memory were totally not seated. :rolleyes:

Reseated the memory all proper, put the whole thing back together, and she booted.

To the bios, only to the bios. I couldn't find any drives in the bios either! It was driving me nuts!

Then I realized my second idiocracy, I hadn't replugged the SATA power lines back in to the PSU. :oops:

Got 'em plugged in and here I am, just gotta go get her OC back and set her memory speeds and such as I totally wiped the BIOS trying to get her going.

Picts later, right now I gotta get her up to speed and drink something. I've been going non-stop for about 6 hours now.

Xgeqfcb.jpg

W9lDaYG.jpg

RAPPTPt.jpg

OgHTEVt.jpg

PdDUE6c.jpg

i3WOIVl.jpg

cZW5oud.jpg

nCXgnGp.jpg

ZGfKa3P.jpg

xcWMFji.jpg

jnWKA6G.jpg

W07MVGy.jpg

dW8ubtu.jpg

N1DFAse.jpg

And my fatal error:

zK2VCoB.jpg

Nope, I just didn't seat it right because I put it in after I installed the motherboard. ALWAYS install memory beforehand, there's too much flex in the mobo when it's installed so it's easy to not mount it right.

All better now, everything is running great. :)

Wait... I though the flex was by design and I always plug them while the motherboard bending. Ugh I'm so dumb.

Wait... I though the flex was by design and I always plug them while the motherboard bending. Ugh I'm so dumb.
Don't feel bad, didn't you hear the bit where I spent 20 minutes in the UEFI trying to find my HDDs only to realize I hadn't plugged the SATA power lines back in to my modular PSU?

No one knows everything, I didn't realize the importance of doing memory before putting it in the case until today though so don't feel bad. You're not dumb for not knowing things, you're dumb if you don't learn from others mistakes or just go blindly in to it.

Fan filters are sort of a waste for me, I have two german shepherds fighting next to my computer about half the day so dog hair is an insane issue. I have a "tool" I use to wipe down the external filters every day and usually open her up once a month to clean her.

Right now I'm trying to decide if I want to replace the tempered glass window with a different material or if I'm able to cut a fan hole through the tempered glass. I need a side fan for my GPU I think, just adding it where there is no place for it needs a little bit of digicreativity but I don't wanna just use my tinsnips and hammer on this case. :|

I'm thinking on it. If nothing else a decent piece of cardboard would work. :p

EDITED BITS: My "tool" is a medical swap, a little sponge on the end of a stick. I think it's meant to wipe iodine/disinfectant on the skin to prep it for surgery/procedure, but it works fantastic as a dog hair magnet that can reach weird places and form strange shapes. ;)

Right now I'm trying to decide if I want to replace the tempered glass window with a different material or if I'm able to cut a fan hole through the tempered glass. I need a side fan for my GPU I think, just adding it where there is no place for it needs a little bit of digicreativity but I don't wanna just use my tinsnips and hammer on this case. :|
The problem are your hard drive cages and drives. Get rid of them to get some actual airflow. Need mass storage space? Get a home NAS instead. At minimum consolidate all those hard drives into a single large drive.

The problem are your hard drive cages and drives. Get rid of them to get some actual airflow. Need mass storage space? Get a home NAS instead. At minimum consolidate all those hard drives into a single large drive.
I'm not disagreeing, I'm just budget limited.

Wait a tic, a NAS? What is a NAS really? I don't have to buy one, do I? If I threw together a system with left over bits and put all my HDDs in it wouldn't that sort of be a NAS if I had it hooked up to our gigabyte network?

EDITED BITS: I could use it as my torrenting box too so I don't have it qbits running in the background constantly. This isn't a stupid idea, is it?

Thanks Malo!

I'm not disagreeing, I'm just budget limited.

Wait a tic, a NAS? What is a NAS really? I don't have to buy one, do I? If I threw together a system with left over bits and put all my HDDs in it wouldn't that sort of be a NAS if I had it hooked up to our gigabyte network?

EDITED BITS: I could use it as my torrenting box too so I don't have it qbits running in the background constantly. This isn't a stupid idea, is it?

Thanks Malo!
You most certainly can build a NAS as opposed to buying one. You can use something like Unraid or Freenas which are free and gain software RAID for some of your important content you want redundancy on. Old PCs are perfect for it.

And yes, they're great for torrenting since they're usually always on.

There is a one time cost for an unRaid lifetime license that's valid through version upgrades. I picked mine up on version 4 when it was 32bit only OS with barely any plugins supported. I'm still using it on 6.8 and it now supports easy user plugins, VMs and Docker Containers. I run nearly all my software as a Docker Container now. The beta 6.9 supports multiple cache pools and all sorts of nice improvements.

Having a dedicated NAS system frees up your main PC and really can support a "set it and forget it" approach to applications like Torrents/Usenet, Cloud Backups, and Multimedia Streaming (Plex/Emby/Jellyfin etc).

Then again, I could do both. Build a separate NAS/torrenting PC and put a fan in the side of my case and keep most of my drives....

I'm lousy with focus, it's the ADHD and my lack of taking my meds lately. :p

I thought I had a tempered glass window, turns out it's cheap plastic. Decided to add a 120mm to the side and of course cracked it getting over excited with a drill. Made a cardboard replacement, covered it with bright blue duct tape, and stuck a 120mm fan on the side of it. :)

rbm5tha.jpg

aYciv3S.jpg

3uVMgjT.jpg

jwTivww.jpg

Discovered a slight problem, the power supply was in the way so it wouldn't fit. Quick fix. :)

k2LpCSD.jpg

dIQdI3t.jpg

Laugh all you want, my GPU was running 78-81 in Control before and it hasn't cracked 70 since. 8)

Back