Nvidia Ampere Discussion [2020-05-14]

But it is indeed curious how they could keep this under the wraps, and if JEDEC wasn't involved, how will it react to one memory manufacturer going solo and using their naming convention?
The same way HMC brigade reacted to MCDRAMs I guess.

To me Occam's razor says that it is a dual-GPU card.

1) xx90 name is apparently back. Usually reserved for dual-GPU cards.
2) Memory on bosth sides.
3) (independent) Cooling in both sides.
4) Chip on both sides! And leaker covered it, to not disclose what it is. Probably to leverage it latter in some way. Second big leak/reveal for a lot of clicks, etc.
5) Power requirements.

If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck...

It could have 100TF and 10TB/s bandwidth and I still wouldn't consider paying a price like that for a graphics card. I really hope this generation doesn't become that ridiculous or I may be checking out.

Since consoles are rumoured to get ridiculous, it doesnt seem that far fetched.

PC gaming will go back to being a sikrit club.

Keep dreaming, it has only been growing, despite nv pricings, it's not the console market :)

Previous consoles sucked.
Those don't.
Very nice packages at very nice prices vs the absolute dilapadation of PC market.

Nah, at 10TF, it's about as mid-range as it can get. The CPU is a generation behind, and lower clocked at that. A total of 16GB ram.
Not far of from the 2013 PS4 which had a mid-range GPU and perhaps more impressive ram. Only thing that's better for the time is the CPU, but it's basically a 3700x at much lower clocks and probably much more constrained power budget in the PS5's case.

Their rumoured to be very expensive also. Nah, not much has changed.

Nah, at 10TF, it's about as mid-range as it can get. The CPU is a generation behind, and lower clocked at that. A total of 16GB ram.
Not far of from the 2013 PS4 which had a mid-range GPU and perhaps more impressive ram. Only thing that's better for the time is the CPU, but it's basically a 3700x at much lower clocks and probably much more constrained power budget in the PS5's case.

Their rumoured to be very expensive also. Nah, not much has changed.
Sweet denial broski.
The CPU is a whole load of goodies (being a ~60W Zen2 config), some good storage and some nice GPU.

Sweet denial broski.
The CPU is a whole load of goodies (being a ~60W Zen2 config), some good storage and some nice GPU.

It's a downclocked 3700x in terms of specs and performance :) Never said the GPU wasn't nice, it's a midranger, in special when ampere and rnda2 make the charts.
Your console might be best and all, but you can't keep up with the PC's hardware.

To me Occam's razor says that it is a dual-GPU card.

1) xx90 name is apparently back. Usually reserved for dual-GPU cards.
NVIDIA has had 7 dual GPU cards, only 2 of which have model number ending in "90" (or 6 if you don't want to count Titan Z)
2) Memory on bosth sides.
Actually we don't know that, only 1 side of the card leaked and for all we know, it could have memory only on the backside
3) (independent) Cooling in both sides.
The what now? If you're referring to the rather weird "3080" cooler, it's not cooling on both sides. It got fans on both sides of the heatsink, but even the fan on the "backside" is flat with the back of the card.
4) Chip on both sides! And leaker covered it, to not disclose what it is. Probably to leverage it latter in some way. Second big leak/reveal for a lot of clicks, etc.
Some unidentified chip, but it's supposedly on the backside of the GPU so it definitely isn't another GPU, nothing would ever cool that (+the back of the card is flat on the strange cooler thing) ((+ just imagine how fat PCB you'd need to route it))
5) Power requirements.
It's supposedly Powercolor's Vulcan-series card, they had 3x8pin on 2080 Ti Vulcan too.
If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck...
But if the hunter thinks a goose is a duck the goose doesn't become a duck :runaway:

For now, and depends on what Ampere is and DLSS....
And the goalposts went up.
C'mon, these are nice boxes.
Previous gen had rust and netbook CPUs clocked at sub-2GHz, this one does not.
I'm not even a console dude due to being a slav, but I'll grab an XSX somewhere early-mid'21.

NVIDIA has had 7 dual GPU cards, only 2 of which have model number ending in "90" (or 6 if you don't want to count Titan Z)

295, 590, 690. Then they stopped (excluding Titan Z). Fact is in the last 15+ years the xx90 name has only been used for dual-GPU. And more so, historically only the 5900 and 7900 have used a 9, but they are too old. EDIT: And I just noticed they were both refreshes of 5800 and 7800, so Nvidia hasn't actually released a single xx90 single GPU card at launch in its entire history...

Actually we don't know that, only 1 side of the card leaked and for all we know, it could have memory only on the backside

Well either we believe the leaks or we don't. Thanks to Micron GDDR6X we know that for more than 12 GB == double the chips. So yeah, memory on both sides.

The what now? If you're referring to the rather weird "3080" cooler, it's not cooling on both sides. It got fans on both sides of the heatsink, but even the fan on the "backside" is flat with the back of the card.

Some unidentified chip, but it's supposedly on the backside of the GPU so it definitely isn't another GPU, nothing would ever cool that (+the back of the card is flat on the strange cooler thing) ((+ just imagine how fat PCB you'd need to route it))

You don't know how the cooler actually is... no one really does from the limited screenshots, unless I missed some.

It's supposedly Powercolor's Vulcan-series card, they had 3x8pin on 2080 Ti Vulcan too.

I'm also talking about the 20+ chokes... (which refers to the reference card afaik)

Last edited:
295, 590, 690. Then they stopped (excluding Titan Z). Fact is in the last 15+ years the xx90 name has only been used for dual-GPU. And more so, historically only the 5900 and 7900 have used a 9, but they are too old. EDIT: And I just noticed they were both refreshes of 5800 and 7800, so Nvidia hasn't actually released a single xx90 single GPU card at launch in its entire history...
The early dual-GPUs were marked with "GX2"
Well either we believe the leaks or we don't. Thanks to Micron GDDR6X we know that for more than 12 GB == double the chips. So yeah, memory on both sides.
Leaks can have both right and wrong information, sources mixing quadros with geforces would easily explain double memory for example
You don't know how the cooler actually is... no one really does from the limited screenshots, unless I missed some.
We'll I'm assuming you mean this cooler since it's the only one we know of, and this image clearly shows both sides of it, one is flat with the PCB, other is not and it's 2 slots (or 2.5)

upload_2020-8-15_2-2-41.png
I'm also talking about the 20+ chokes... (which refers to the reference card afaik)
All the leaks this past 24h have been about that colorful model afaik (except for the micron gddr6x one)

The early dual-GPUs were marked with "GX2"

Yeah, early ones. Then all x90 until Titan Z. (including Titan Z I can only count 6 btw, must be missing one, tho I don't think so.) The fact remains that Nvidia hasn't released a single xx90 single-GPU card in its entire history, and for it to happen now it requires an special explanation. 3090 being dual GPU doen't require any special explanation. Ergo, Occam's razor.

Leaks can have both right and wrong information, sources mixing quadros with geforces would easily explain double memory for example

It's the same leak that has shown the memory/chip on the back that talked about 22 GB initially and now apparenty 24GB.

We'll I'm assuming you mean this cooler since it's the only one we know of, and this image clearly shows both sides of it, one is flat with the PCB, other is not and it's 2 slots (or 2.5)

It's 3080 anyway, and supposedly the PCB ends in an V before the second fan, so I concede I was wrong there.

EDIT: And no, the ones that I was talking about didn't have any shroud, they were only fins with heatpipes and maybe a vapor chamber iirc. They were supposedly pics taken from the fab.

All the leaks this past 24h have been about that colorful model afaik (except for the micron gddr6x one)

No, I don't think so. Could be wrong too.

Last edited:
Another info Kimi got is that nvidia doubled the FP32 core count and kept INT32 core count same within a SM.
He says SM counts for GA102 SKUs are 84, 82 and 68SM so if it's true would be like;
  • 84SM=10752FP32+5376INT32,
  • 82SM=10496FP32+5248INT32,
  • 68SM=8704FP32+4352INT32,
He personally doesn't believe this info though.

Interesting. Will give the benefit of the doubt since they’ve basically been right about everything else so far.

Could be they added back FP support to the INT pipe so you can issue either INT + FP or 2xFP per clock.

Or maybe the FP32 pipe is still 16-wide but now VLIW2 per lane.

Back