How to sell next-gen consoles, Marketing, Positioning, and Pricing [2020]

once again, as if this were some comedy, i would like to defer back to the spreadsheet lol. But yea, we could layer in licensing fees if the players play their games, the owe money, and there is a flat fee to just have the game on gamepass for a limited amount of time?

Sorry no, the spreadsheet is lacking so many vital datapoints it's not helpful. You can chose to ignore me, but don't try to convince me the spreadsheet is remotely representative :nope:

If you watch the YouTube discussion, paying particular attentions to the comments by an actual dev with titles in GamePass, who is acknowledges he is skating real close to NDA issues by commenting, you'll learn some useful information. But not enough to make your spreadsheet useful because the actual costs aren't known.

That's possibly only applicable if it was only about people upgrading. There's new gamers coming in all the time as an example.
There will certainly be a number of people who don't own an Xbox One (or PS4) interested in the new Xbox Series S but there's no evidence to suggest this is going to be a massive number, i.e. it's not like the overall console user base is growing massively every generation to suggest that there is appreciable new growth. I'd speculate that anybody thinking of buying an Xbox after Series S/X launch, are also probably considering getting a cheap second-hand Xbox One/S/X from somebody who is upgrading. What is motivating genuine new persons to the Xbox ecosystem buying a Series S then they hadn't considered buying the more affordable One S for years and years? What's is the purchasing catalyst?

The same is true for PS5. That does have exclusives but why would Horizon 2 and Spider-man Miles Morales appeal on PS5 when those previous games did not on the relatively cheap PS4? :???:

Reminds me of the discussion, how can GTA5 keep selling so much years after release. Obviously the people who wanted it would've bought it when it came out.

Sorry no, the spreadsheet is lacking so many vital datapoints it's not helpful. You can chose to ignore me, but don't try to convince me the spreadsheet is remotely representative :nope:

If you watch the YouTube discussion, paying particular attentions to the comments by an actual dev with titles in GamePass, who is acknowledges he is skating real close to NDA issues by commenting, you'll learn some useful information. But not enough to make your spreadsheet useful because the actual costs aren't known.

There will certainly be a number of people who don't own an Xbox One (or PS4) interested in the new Xbox Series S but there's no evidence to suggest this is going to be a massive number, i.e. it's not like the overall console user base is growing massively every generation to suggest that there is appreciable new growth. I'd speculate that anybody thinking of buying an Xbox after Series S/X launch, are also probably considering getting a cheap second-hand Xbox One/S/X from somebody who is upgrading. What is motivating genuine new persons to the Xbox ecosystem buying a Series S then they hadn't considered buying the more affordable One S for years and years? What's is the purchasing catalyst?

The same is true for PS5. That does have exclusives but why would Horizon 2 and Spider-man Miles Morales appeal on PS5 when those previous games did not on the relatively cheap PS4? :???:

One humongous factor that the spreadsheet and everyone else seems to have forgotten about is that Netflix has over the years amassed studios and producers who can make exclusive Netflix content, which is why a lot of people pet for the service.

Now, we are assuming that MS will want to do the same, as it does make some sense.

BUT. Let’s not forget that Netflix is available on literally every platform that works on electricity. You sign up, and you can watch on your TV, Phone, PS4, Xbox, PC.

If MS want to have their own fabulous exclusive games for Gamepass then they are already losing a huge chunk of people who have PlayStation platforms. And there is a whole lot of them, 120 million on PS4 and whatever number the PS5 can muster. There is a lot of actual gamers who have Sony platforms and asking them to buy a £400 Xbox or a PC is NOT the same as signing up for Netflix and play content on whichever device we already have.

If MS want to have their own fabulous exclusive games for Gamepass then they are already losing a huge chunk of people who have PlayStation platforms. And there is a whole lot of them, 120 million on PS4 and whatever number the PS5 can muster.

Do none of them own Android or Apple Tablets?

You do know that Microsoft's xCloud platform will be a part of Xbox Game Pass in September, right?

Do none of them own Android or Apple Tablets?
Some will. Do they also own game controllers? Streaming removes that vital console barrier to entry but you are going to struggle without a good controller. Even if xCloud offers one of those touch-based controller interface, you can use it but you probably won't enjoy it.

Some will. Do they also own game controllers?

Yes they all do. They can pair their existing DS4 controller with their Android tablet using BlueTooth or wired USB.

{ This is LondonBoys set of 120+ million Playstation 4 console owners, which all have BlueTooth controllers. }

Yes they all do. They can pair their existing DS4 controller with their Android tablet using BlueTooth or wired USB.
I thought that only the Xbox controller was officially supported by xCloud. That was the case at one point.

Not really comparable to gaming on actual platforms, is it? Look at Stadia and that mess.

If they want the cheapest way in, they'll make due.

This was more to point out that MS is already aiming for part of that market you focused on.

If they want the cheapest way in, they'll make due.

This was more to point out that MS is already aiming for part of that market you focused on.

Sorry but they’re not going to convince people that they have the “best games” when they’re playing on their phones or iPads.

I say, make it available on Sony platforms and we’re all happy ;)

Sorry but they’re not going to convince people that they have the “best games” when they’re playing on their phones or iPads.

I say, make it available on Sony platforms and we’re all happy ;)

I think there's some interviews already mentioning how Nintendo and Sony may not allow that.

XCloud will be on laptops and PC as well. It’s not limited to small mobile devices.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...Jj8EORS4T36SJmLyN40sj86dcHNQovSpCeVVO8Wsn34Ww

''Microsoft is having a good time on Steam right now''

''This all ties in with the idea that Xbox is pushing more than the Series X console. As Oli argued following Microsoft's Xbox Series X reveal event, Microsoft's message is as much about selling Xbox Game Pass as it is selling its new console - perhaps more so. Well, even away from the console and Xbox Game Pass debate, it looks like Microsoft is already enjoying success on Steam.''

I understand Sony wants in on Steam also with their games.

IMO MS are all-in on GamePass now.

Their vision is simple:

1. Buy 20 studios
2. Each studio produces a AAA game every 40 months.
3. That means that a new AAA game is released about every 2 months.
4. Make GamePass available on PC, 299 Series S, 499 Series X and xCloud.
5. Sell 100 million subscriptions.
6. Take in $5 per user per month after distribution costs.
7. $6 billion in annual gross profits.
8. Pay the teams $2 billion ($100 million each) annually.
9. Rake in the money.

That's the plan. Let's see if the execute it. :)

Last edited:
Maybe the people who wait a few years before jumping into a new gen? Basically the people who picked up a ps4/xbone last year on black friday.
Right. So Xbox Series S isn't really going to have a clear demographic of appeal for a while? That may be fine, we don't know yet that it's definitely launching this year. It would be weird if it did, but it would also be kind of weird if it didn't. I'm keen to hear Microsoft's to see Microsoft's marketing for Series S.

Back