Rumors: Xbox Live Gold and Game Pass Restructuring? [2020-07] *spawn*

The funny thing is, that the only issues people had with xbox live was the fact that online play was part of gold.
They could've easily removed that aspect and everyone would've been happy.

So if they are getting rid of gold, it's because without the online it holds no value and will be hard to sell.
The games with gold are pretty much a joke at this point.
Cloud saves etc are just part of live, you can't start charging for that, and it would actually break their vision for the ecosystem anyway.

I posted something related to this in another thread, but they could create gamepass basic/silver which is cheap but you don't get XS games. A way to get people into gamepass.
Maintain revenue, and their all about gamepass now anyway.
https://forum.beyond3d.com/posts/2140665/

As I've alluded to earlier, sometimes you need to cannabalize your own products to gain further.

XBLG inhibits Xbox Game Pass, Xbox the console, and Windows Store from succeeding.
  • Anyone on PC who buys the 2 license (xbox/pc) will feel like they will never be able to go to Xbox because they'd have to pay for gold. So skip the option and go to steam.
  • Anyone on Xbox is already paying for gold, and very few want a second sub. So Game Pass, as much as they want to, that money has to go towards Gold.
  • PC users only want or need GP PC, removal of Gold makes for a better option to spread out to try gaming on console.
  • As for unification between their PC and Xbox platforms, to make Xbox more attractive, they need to align the features, in this case, PC will always be free online. And that's taking away from Xbox, because the only reason you'd go Xbox (will all exclusives going to PC now) is because Xbox is a cheaper platform to play on vs PC (with respect to hardware).
  • Any Xcloud will have to support multiplayer, and if you want the service to be universal, MS needs to remove Gold.
It will hurt, but in the long run I think this will be best for them.

Last edited:
As I've alluded to earlier, sometimes you need to cannabalize your own products to gain further.

XBLG inhibits Xbox Game Pass, Xbox the console, and Windows Store from succeeding.
  • Anyone on PC who buys the 2 license (xbox/pc) will feel like they will never be able to go to Xbox because they'd have to pay for gold. So skip the option and go to steam.
  • Anyone on Xbox is already paying for gold, and very few want a second sub. So Game Pass, as much as they want to, that money has to go towards Gold.
  • PC users only want or need GP PC, removal of Gold makes for a better option to spread out to try gaming on console.
  • As for unification between their PC and Xbox platforms, to make Xbox more attractive, they need to align the features, in this case, PC will always be free online. And that's taking away from Xbox, because the only reason you'd go Xbox (will all exclusives going to PC now) is because Xbox is a cheaper platform to play on vs PC (with respect to hardware).
  • Any Xcloud will have to support multiplayer, and if you want the service to be universal, MS needs to remove Gold.
It will hurt, but in the long run I think this will be best for them.

I agree with your points but there is a risk in this. If a Gold subscription operated like a stick(in order to play online you need this) GamePass subscription operates like a carrot(please buy this because it's a good value).

In other words they will have to work hard to sell GamePass subscriptions...where as Gold sold itself.

I agree with your points but there is a risk in this. If a Gold subscription operated like a stick(in order to play online you need this) GamePass subscription operates like a carrot(please buy this because it's a good value).

In other words they will have to work hard to sell GamePass subscriptions...where as Gold sold itself.

It has to happen for them to have a truly united platform across console/PC and mobile. The latter two are never going to accept paying for online play so the console fee has to go for them to realize their larger ambitions.

It has to happen for them to have a truly united platform across console/PC and mobile. The latter two are never going to accept paying for online play so the console fee has to go for them to realize their larger ambitions.

Right but here's the thing. If the PC community was never going to pay for online why do you think they will ever buy GamePass? I'm not sure what Microsoft's ambitions are on PC other than selling more games on Steam. So I'm not sure what they would be trying to appeal to with subscription services there..

Right but here's the thing. If the PC community was never going to pay for online why do you think they will ever buy GamePass? I'm not sure what Microsoft's ambitions are on PC other than selling more games on Steam. So I'm not sure what they would be trying to appeal to with subscription services there..

To play the games. Paying for access to play the game and paying for access to play the game (via a purchase or otherwise) and then paying more to play online are two distinct things.

MS's ambitions on PC are to bring as many PC gamers as they can into their ecosystem. Selling games on Steam is a sideline, not the main thrust. "You can buy this game for $59.99 on Steam or play it for $5.00 (for a month) via GamePass for PC. Your choice (we know you'll make the right one)."

Last edited:
To play the games. Paying for access to play the game and paying for access to play the game (via a purchase or otherwise) and then paying more to play online are two distinct things.

MS's ambitions on PC are to bring as many PC gamers as they can into their ecosystem. Selling games on Steam is a sideline, not the main thrust. "You can buy this game for $59.99 on Steam or play it for $5.00 (for a month) via GamePass for PC. Your choice (we know you'll make the right one)."

I just feel of all the gamer demographics the pc community is the most resistant to new/changing business models...

Maybe they'll talk about it when they finally reveal Lockhart and prices. :p

Any month now... :rolleyes:

Not sure how right this guy usually is or not but he thinks multiplayer paywall won't be folded into gamepass...

He's just commenting on the speculation. No more no less, not based on insider info or anything.

He's basing it on the fact would seem pretty bad to force people to pay for gamepass to play online.
It could actually be a worse look than having to pay for gold for online.

You can keep Gold just sell "Platinum" as Gold+Game Pass. And Game Pass Ultimate+Gold as " Xbox Rhodium' or some shit. LOL. You don't need Gold if you have Plat and you don't need either if you have Rho.

You don't want one sub dependent on another. Thats ass backwards as it cuts off a portion of the library unless you plan to have no online-all the time games like TD1&2.

Last edited:
His thinking is that you could get Gold for $60/year for multiplayer & if Gold is folded into Game Pass then a year of multiplayer will cost $120/year($10/month) instead. No Game Pass subscriptions offer discounts if you buy more than 1 month at a time. So he doesn't think Microsoft would double the cost of multiplayer. However, if you compare on the monthly cost it's the same for Gold or Game Pass($9.99). That makes Game Pass free if you just bought Gold, or it makes Gold free if you just bought Game Pass. That's all based on pricing staying the same. Personally, I don't see them making multiplayer more expensive, but I also don't see them introducing another subscription level either. The whole point of Gold going away is to simplify the options. Having 3 options($5 PC, $10 Console & $15 Both) is more than enough. Maybe they will offer discounts for 3-month, 6-month & 12-month subscriptions like Gold did, but I don't think they will. That's what the 24-month Game Pass Ultimate subscription with All Access is for.

Tommy McClain

Back