Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I found enlightening and interesting was that he said that the xsx would take approx 5ms to do ML upscaling, not sure what resolution that's from though.
Be interesting to know how many extra ms it takes to render 2160p from say 1440-1660p, as I don't remember there being any comparisons apart from to rtx and 4pro.

The 5ms was at 4k based on the XSX having half the ML capability of an RTX 2060 with takes 2.5ms at that resolution.

Assuming those timings are for DLSS quality mode then I think it would be using a base resolution of 1440p.

It was also created for hardware pushing 4.2 teraflops. I think it looks amazing for the hardware it was designed for. I mean it took Nvidia till the beginning of this year to have tech like DLSS2.0 available. Yes I know DLSS1.0 was available before but certainly not as impressive as 2.0. Maybe @Dictator can do a comparison of the two technologies as that would be a better comparison imo.

He did! There’s a new video comparing Decima Engine (Death stranding) on Pro using checker boarding and on PC using DLSS. Look it up, very impressive.

The 5ms was at 4k based on the XSX having half the ML capability of an RTX 2060 with takes 2.5ms at that resolution.

Assuming those timings are for DLSS quality mode then I think it would be using a base resolution of 1440p.
And if it used those 5ms just to render natively what resolution would it roughly equate to?

The nice thing about ml upscaling is it can seem to add some detail in.
So would be interesting to see a game made with it at its core. Not just tacked on, or as a secondary method.

I still don't get why it's so "slow" in external view (and not over a big city).
hmm, I think you're only going about 575 mph at the highest altitudes for commerical planes. Which is very fast, but not what your'e expecting which is military plane fast? F22 Raptors cruise at 1200 mph

Sorry, I mean't slow like fps-slow.
I did half my capture at 4K and another half at 70% of 4K. It was not a stable 60 fps at Ultra settings, either CPU or GPU limited at times. I thought for this game showing the best settings for the preview was "better" than showing the most stable framerate.
Er..i didnt mean to imply naughty dog uses temporal upsampling like insomniac. Just that the iq method in general used looked good enough to clean up well on a 4k tv like insomniacs iq method.

I was saying devs will refine these techniques even further to get good iq results and performance savings despite not having a standardized reconstruction method like dlss

Oh! That is what you meant. Sorry!

I did half my capture at 4K and another half at 70% of 4K. It was not a stable 60 fps at Ultra settings, either CPU or GPU limited at times. I thought for this game showing the best settings for the preview was "better" than showing the most stable framerate.

Sure. What I mean is, I don't see what is so hard on the gpu. Cpu, I can get it, a lot of simulations I guess.
But in some scènes, I see only some mountains, a ground texture, and that's about it. What is keeping the gpu busy ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back