Cuphead. Classic cartoons; [XO, XOX, XPA, PC, NX, PS4]

Why are we talking about Gold in here when Cuphead doesn't even have online multiplayer?

Tommy McClain

I kinda want to see them do a sidescroll beat-em-up. I feel like the difficulty for this game is a bit of a turn-off for most people to want to come back for a sequel even if the graphics were a big selling point; that may not work a second time, but that's just my personal experience. I was happy to support the title at release, but I doubt I'll come back for the same gameplay formula; I dropped the game after a few weeks and don't really care to play it again. I haven't even bothered watching youtube to see all the amazing artwork that I was too shitty at the game to see firsthand.

They could even keep the flying stuff like those levels in the Captain America and the Avengers arcade game.

I kinda want to see them do a sidescroll beat-em-up. I feel like the difficulty for this game is a bit of a turn-off for most people to want to come back for a sequel even if the graphics were a big selling point; that may not work a second time, but that's just my personal experience. I was happy to support the title at release, but I doubt I'll come back for the same gameplay formula; I dropped the game after a few weeks and don't really care to play it again. I haven't even bothered watching youtube to see all the amazing artwork that I was too shitty at the game to see firsthand.

They could even keep the flying stuff like those levels in the Captain America and the Avengers arcade game.
In a new interview, now that the game was ported to the Switch, the creator of the game mentions that he never wanted the game to be so hard.

https://variety.com/2019/gaming/fea...culty-is-more-about-being-intense-1203177572/

Cuphead” isn’t so much hard as it is different.

At least that’s Tyler Moldenhauer’s take on the game he helped create.

We never aimed to make it super hard,” Moldenhauer told Variety in a recent interview. “It was just that we kind of wanted to keep the action intense and that was sort of the way that it came out.”

Moldenhauer sees the perceived difficulty of being more a byproduct of player habits.

“Honestly, I find that a lot of people, once you get used to it, once you sort of Grok the controls at that point it’s a lot smoother ceiling. It’s kind of unlearning a lot of things that modern games have taught people that they can just get away with.

“Once you unlearn those tricks and kind of get back into the game and have a good time.”

This game shouldn't have been in Dark Souls territory. It wouldnt hurt anyone if they allowed casual players to be able to enjoy the game.

They no-doubt suffered from the dev-difficulty syndrome, where you play a game so much that it's dead easy to you. You want a bit of a challenge, so make it easy based on your point of reference, and then everyone else gets utterly crushed. You can't tell what's good for other people without copious amounts of testers and feedback - can't use the same people long-term because they'll get good too. And small indies just can't get that sort of feedback.

That why difficulty options are important. Possibly an algorithmic solution that transparently shifts the game difficulty based on performance if you want to be really accessible.

A recent article that hits on the difficulty levels, that I wish more developers would take to heart: https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/sekiro-shadows-die-twice-accessiblity-equal-mode/

... snippet ...

That quickly turned into half the internet screaming about how accessibility would ruin their game. “The point of Souls is to GIT GUD,” an angry tweeter replied.

That attitude is something you’ll encounter often in gaming. Sekiro and other skill-based games tend to attract players that pride themselves on their ability to beat a very difficult game. This strong sense of pride comes from repeated failed attempts that, with enough persistence and determination, result in sweet triumph. Like a glorious Hollywood movie, they went through the training montage after being beaten down in the beginning, only to come out on top before the end credits roll.

But that “Git Gud” mentality doesn’t work for everyone.

But that “Git Gud” mentality doesn’t work for everyone.

yeah, not all people can "git good" for various reason. people also can't expect all games can be played by "git good"
as some games PUNISH the players for "git gud".

Oh you found a nice vantage point to perch and shoot the enemy? HAHAHA now with this patch, we put a death zone right there HAHAHA.

While not all people can "Git Gud", I think it's perfectly fine for games to exist that expect that type of skill level or persistence as long as the game can survive on that type of fan base.

Just like not everyone finds open world games, games on rails, MMORPGs to be enjoyable, obviously not everyone is going to find high skill games enjoyable or high persistence games to be enjoyable.

Every game doesn't have to be enjoyable to every person.

I remember how my beloved computer RPG genre was basically dead because of the sort of thinking that everyone must be able to enjoy them or they shouldn't exist. Thankfully, Kickstarter was key in reviving the genre and giving the middle finger to the mantra that everyone should be able to enjoy your game and now we have plenty of modern examples of great computer RPGs that have a limited audience.

In this day and age when there are literally thousands of games available, there is no reason that any single game has to be accessible to every gamer alive.

Regards,
SB

Reactions: JPT
In this day and age, there's also no reason that games should be exclusionary. The developers can still convey the experiences they want while also being more accessable.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAH this game is super annoyingly hard.

Not as annoying as yoshi crafter World tho (it's easy but the level design is confusing)

Back