Microsoft Xbox digital events [E3 2020 Replacements]

The games all showed Xbox One, Series X, Windows PC badges at the end of the trailers. Lots of games didn't show Xbox One badges.
Even this they seem to be trying to muddy the waters, swear i heard that they said even though it may not say XO it doesn't mean it's not coming to it.
Think it was Greenburg that said it. Hopefully I'm not spreading fud here, as I just stopped reading when i saw that.

Can't find who said it now, but halo launching last year would've gone down better.
Then do xsx patch this year on console release.
As it is it looks like a decent what will be previous gen game, not what you want from tent pole title.
Before this showing very few people would've thought that.
They should've spent the last year working on the patch.

Last edited:
Even this they seem to be trying to muddy the waters, swear i heard that they said even though it may not say XO it doesn't mean it's not coming to it.
Think it was Greenburg that said it. Hopefully I'm not spreading fud here, as I just stopped reading when i saw that.

I dunno, that kind of makes sense to me?
They develop with XSX in mind and when they are feature complete or whatever they see if they can reasonably make it work on the XBOne family of machines.

who knows. Like i said however Spiderman is its own force with a gigantic IP that transcends all media and has done so for decades.

We will have to see what happens this fall and beyond.
What I do know is that when the PS show started, there were 4 million live viewers on the main PS channel. That number increased to 6.9M live viewers during the show and that was the max. When the XBox show started, I saw 907k live viewers. Unfortunately I didn't have a look at the viewers later and stopped watching after Jack Black started singing and went to play GoT.
With regards to the other PS regions, I did have a look when the show was on and PS Japan had 900k live viewers and Brazil had 2M. I can't remember Europe, I think it was 1 million closer to 2 million but also think most of those would be watching the main PS channel.

1. They need to learn how to manage expectations.

Microsoft conceded they has "set some wrong expectations" for their May event. But I think events like these are very difficult to manage people's expectations for because you do want some things to come as a genuine pleasant/terrifying surprise, e.g. the Demon Souls remaster.

2. They need to stop wasting money on CGI trailers.

I don't think CGI trailers are that expensive any more and they're often produced by folks who are not working on the game so it's not like their production is slowing development. There is always going to be a stretch in any game's production/development where it's too early to show gameplay even if the game is a year out. I don't think we'll stop seeing CGI trailers at any of these events any time soon.

3. They need to be more specific about the footage they DO show.

There is also a bugbear of mine but Microsoft are not the only ones doing this.

4. They need to give fans a better sense of what the games are actually like earlier.
This is often my biggest irritation. Where there is gameplay footage, you often can't get a sense of what the broader gameplay will be like. Again, Microsoft are the only people showing trailers that do this. Which brings me on too..

My issue is with Halo: Infinite. Its the one game I was looking forward to. Halo is a series I adore simply for the campaign. It means a lot to me but I was left hugely deflated after yesterday's showing. The E3 2018 trailer showed an engine that looked remarkable; wide-open areas with lots of foliage and trees, high-quality textures and geometry, remarkably impressive lighting. The fidelity of graphics on display in that trailer was everything I wanted in a Halo game; the art of earlier Halo with the graphic quality that matches contemporary engines/games.

Ignoring the art/graphics stuff, the Infinite gameplay let me with more questions than answers. In past games your mission imperative has driven you from one locale to another, so what is changing in Infinite? The moment-to-moment combat looks like Halo plus a shield and grapple mechanic but I wanted to see more of this new Halo ring. Is it truly open? Are their 'quest givers'? Is the campaign still linear or can you complete objectives in (reasonably) any order? If so, are there consequences for not doing certain missions in Order (ala Mass Effect 3)?

After nineteen years they've fundamentally changes the broad strokes structure of Halo and didn't explain this at all, showing us Halo combat which is largely the same. :-|

What I do know is that when the PS show started, there were 4 million live viewers on the main PS channel. That number increased to 6.9M live viewers during the show and that was the max. When the XBox show started, I saw 907k live viewers. Unfortunately I didn't have a look at the viewers later and stopped watching after Jack Black started singing and went to play GoT.
With regards to the other PS regions, I did have a look when the show was on and PS Japan had 900k live viewers and Brazil had 2M. I can't remember Europe, I think it was 1 million closer to 2 million but also think most of those would be watching the main PS channel.
Beats me man , i watched on mixer so i wasn't keeping track.

I wonder how the xbox 360 reveals were received vs the ps3 reveals. People watching online videos does not equate into sales. I thought we all learned that with Snakes on a plane

I don't think we'll stop seeing CGI trailers at any of these events any time soon.

Which is a shame. Couldn't get hyped about State of Decay 3, Avowed or Fable as a result.

Maybe in a few years an UE5 mockup will be the new offline replacement. 'in engine' but they can crank up Lumen and resolution. Plus the assets could actually end up in the real game.

I'm confused. You seem to be complaining both that Halo didn't change and that Wolfenstein did.
I do not complain against changes or lacking them in general, i only point out that turning Wolfenstein into a soap opera does not work for me.

I remember the first Halo was first outdoor shooter with vehicles which was interesting back then. Both technically and for gameplay. And if they go back to those roots i'm fine with that.
However, i really can not associate with this 'Masterchief superhero fights dwarfs from space' kinda background that would be good for TV cartoons targeting 5 years old kids to feed them with power fantasies.
I would be fine if it would not try to be serious, like e.g. Duke Nukem does.
I would be also fine if they would just go without this shallow trials of story telling cut scenes at all. I can't remember the first Halo game did this, so in this sense both franchises have changed in the same bad way.

Or i would be very fine if the story would be some intelligent science fiction, tackling either hard science ideas or doing social critique, which science fiction usually is about.
Feed my brain, not just my eyes and reflexes. Give me something to think about, so it's worth to spend some time on it. Either that, or give up on storytelling - to go back to the roots for real.

Which is a shame. Couldn't get hyped about State of Decay 3, Avowed or Fable as a result.
I agree, but for Microsoft it's about letting GamePass subscribers, or people who might be tempted by GamePass if there were more games, that there are indeed more games in development even if a way off. It's Microsoft underlining it's commitment to this service.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree, but for Microsoft it's about letting GamePass subscribers, or people who might be tempted by GamePass if there were more games, that there are indeed ore games in development even if a way off. It's Microsoft underlining it's commitment to this service.

As a Gamepass subscriber I'm happy they're future titles . I don't care really how any of those games actually look in the end. As something to get me excited about XSX and the possiblity of next gen graphics it didn't deliver.

I liked Thursday's game showcase. I don't need to see Series X power before I buy mine at launch. I know it's powerful. I believe MS will sell everything they can produce for the next 9 months. That gives them time to impress us with something before casual gamers are even considering dropping $499 on a new machine.

Hard-core gamers on forums always think the sky is falling. Most gamers i run into aren't even aware there are new consoles coming out. We live in a bubble. More people are watching the latest cat videos on YouTube than Spider-Man Miles Morales. 5M views ... LOL.

I have been thinking how MS ended up with bad launch again. Last time it was tv,tv,tv. Now it's most powerful, most powerful and then forgetting to show how that power manifests in games.

Only explanation I can come up with is that there is some kind of reality distortion field at MS happening preventing them from seeing what gamers like(awesome games). Is there someone there calling shots who doesn't get gaming? Are those people who know better ignored or maybe they don't dare voice their opinions? I can't believe it's just covid19 causing this. I could understand covid19 causing the demos to be scaled down to smaller areas of games or focusing fewer games or gasp. tech demos only. Or in worst case do in engine graphics but record it non realtime allowing unoptimized code to hit 30/60fps in video and hope to fix it before launch so trailer matches reality.

Hard-core gamers on forums always think the sky is falling. Most gamers i run into aren't even aware there are new consoles coming out. We live in a bubble. More people are watching the latest cat videos on YouTube than Spider-Man Miles Morales. 5M views ... LOL.
And yet on the BBC news program they are talking about how xbox isn't impressing the way PS is.
That's not hardcore forum, that's as main stream as your going to get.

Hence my point in the past about what gets picked up in the mainstream and what doesn't.

By your own definition your the one that will buy regardless, it's the general mood of the mainstream as well as the hardcore that matters.

I can't believe it's just covid19 causing this. I could understand covid19 causing the demos to be scaled down to smaller areas of games or focusing fewer games or gasp. tech demos only.
If you consider the Mine Craft demos that were created during covid-19 and displaying next-gen features, something definitely seems fishy regarding MS console showcase and the lack of next-gen graphical features.

We live in a bubble. More people are watching the latest cat videos on YouTube than Spider-Man Miles Morales. 5M views ... LOL.
I always wondered are the view(s) based on people watching beginning to end or does it include people who watch first 5 seconds and move on?

I liked Thursday's game showcase. I don't need to see Series X power before I buy mine at launch. I know it's powerful. I believe MS will sell everything they can produce for the next 9 months. That gives them time to impress us with something before casual gamers are even considering dropping $499 on a new machine.

That 5M views was within first 24hours. Sony live stream was likely 10M-20M viewers all sources combined. The sony channel miles morales standalone trailer is 13M views now. Same video in marvel channel is 2.7M views. So based on how one looks at it the miles morales likely got around 15-35M views so far. There also are many reaction videos to spiderman that have decent amount of views.

But yeah, it's still less than cat videos but a lot more than 5M.

I don't think I agree with this.

Positive word of mouth starts with the hardcore gamers, the early adopters. You have to win them first otherwise you can relive the have Xbox One 2.0 launch. The 360 did that, the Xbox One did not. The XSX is floating in some world in between.

And yet on the BBC news program they are talking about how xbox isn't impressing the way PS is.
That's not hardcore forum, that's as main stream as your going to get.

Hence my point in the past about what gets picked up in the mainstream and what doesn't.

By your own definition your the one that will buy regardless, it's the general mood of the mainstream as well as the hardcore that matters.
Meh. MS will still sell out of launch period allocations. I'm sure there are going to be negative stories given the hiccups. My point is they have months to fix things. We'll see if they do. They have good hardware which is critical as that can't really be fixed at this point. Marketing can.

Back