Microsoft Xbox digital events [E3 2020 Replacements]

I think that when the prettiest comment to your reveal event is "at least the cg modeld in the teaser weren't bad", you can call it a failure.

Heh. I wasn't that underwhelmed like others but then I also didn't expect to get my mind blown either.

P.S. I hope you watch the mentioned trailer and you might understand why I thought it stands out.

Xbox seems to be more out of touch with what the majority of gamers want and seems to only be catering for the elite few who seem to be happy with anything Xbox has to show.
This is a fairly bad hot take here.

MS and Sony make dramatically different 1P games. I'm not interested in TPS adventure titles that get drawn out over 40 hours of gameplay that is trying to be movie art and providing thought provoking commentary. I respect it sure. But it's not what I want in games. If that's all everyone wanted, then the most played games today would be Sony games and they aren't the most played.

Looks like some media are spinning this as a 180/flip. Kinda disappointed that Everwild may not show up on XB1. But if it's 2 years away from release I should have the Series X by then.

This would make any Xbox gamers drool as he seemed to promise, better fps, and other things(graphics, gameplay) because the XBSX hardware had advantages.

That's some stretching. With all their chatter after the May showcase the word "gameplay" was the one thing they did not hype at all. They consistently said they were showing Halo gameplay & other first party games. To hold them to higher standard to expect gameplay is unfair. Yes, everyone was expecting gameplay when they kept hyping gameplay in May. That expectation wasn't met & they were rightfully called out on it. I believe this showcase met the goals they set out. I don't believe they over promised in this case.

TA has a decent summary post up with every announcement video associated with the show: https://www.trueachievements.com/n42587/all-games-announced-xbox-games-showcase

Nice write up.

Are these the official xbox game videos? They don't have too many views so is there some other source people went? Ori is about 700k views, Fable almost 600k, Halo is third most with a little bit less than 400k views. I'm number addict and trying to understand trends based on youtube/... views.

https://www.youtube.com/c/xbox/videos

That's all of them. I counted 49 videos & over 7.4 million views. Not PS5 great, but respectable. I was surprised that the 1:46 STALKER 2 trailer was the most watched individual game video(930k) with 189k more views than the 8:58 Halo Infinite gameplay(741k). :oops: If you add up all the localizations of the whole show you get 1.743 million views.

BTW just checked the Halo channel on Youtube & the 1:06 gameplay trailer had 652K views, the 8:58 gameplay video had 2.2million views & the 1:52 Step Inside trailer had 326k. The Xbox channel had 397K, 744k & 167k respectively. That's a 1.87million difference between the 2 channels. :oops:

Tommy McClain

I was very critical of the may event for multiple reasons.
This time, felt it was a lot better.
  • Production was 1000 times better
  • Decent amount of exclusives
  • Confident to announce games that are far out
  • Reasonable variety
  • Just remember every single game was day and date into gamepass
  • Some console launch exclusives
Negatives
  • Not enough gameplay for games that are closer to release
  • Still holding games back for August
  • Thought might be halo multiplayer beta
It seems like both Sony and MS due to no E3 are dancing around each other and drip feeding these shows.
Wanting to have something in response to the other. I'm assuming August will be the last shows though hopefully.

So mind blowing no, everyone will have their own views of if they did enough or not.
I think they more than did enough for gamepass, next gen there wasn't the UE5, Spiderman, rachet type of high light I suppose.
I think hellblade demo could've done that.

Last edited:
Was The Gunk not gameplay? I thought that looked pretty good. Like Ori in 3rd person.

I thought it was too. Checked around could only 1 place that covered it that thought it was gameplay too. BTW, didn't realize this was by the SteamWorld folks. I've only played a little of SteamWorld Dig. I'll probably check it out.

Tommy McClain

Looks like some media are spinning this as a 180/flip. Kinda disappointed that Everwild may not show up on XB1. But if it's 2 years away from release I should have the Series X by then.
Ms has said a couple of years or two years for over a year now in terms of exclusives. I think its a game your going to want to play on the Series X also. In this time line we are at the phase where games were made for xbox one/x and are being enhanced for xbox series x . We are transitioning to games being designed for xbox series x and down graded to xbox one/x. There will of course be over lap due to development cycles and the like but this was always going to happen. But hey at least there is a solid year or two where you can continue to play the new ms content on your xbox one.

That's some stretching. With all their chatter after the May showcase the word "gameplay" was the one thing they did not hype at all. They consistently said they were showing Halo gameplay & other first party games. To hold them to higher standard to expect gameplay is unfair. Yes, everyone was expecting gameplay when they kept hyping gameplay in May. That expectation wasn't met & they were rightfully called out on it. I believe this showcase met the goals they set out. I don't believe they over promised in this case.
Yup exactly

That's all of them. I counted 49 videos & over 7.4 million views. Not PS5 great, but respectable. I was surprised that the 1:46 STALKER 2 trailer was the most watched individual game video(930k) with 189k more views than the 8:58 Halo Infinite gameplay(741k). :oops: If you add up all the localizations of the whole show you get 1.743 million views.

BTW just checked the Halo channel on Youtube & the 1:06 gameplay trailer had 652K views, the 8:58 gameplay video had 2.2million views & the 1:52 Step Inside trailer had 326k. The Xbox channel had 397K, 744k & 167k respectively. That's a 1.87million difference between the 2 channels. :oops:

Tommy McClain

MS didn't get the same buzz as sony but sony is coming off a more successful console.

Negatives
  • Still holding games back for August

I think that is extremely unlikely, because people are underwhelmed about what was shown now the messaging is "oh boy, you've seen nothing. That show we overhyped for weeks? that's nothing, in two months we'll show the real games". Maybe some 3rd party stuff but nothing huge. We know both lineups already, yes maybe Sony has their COD reveal in august but I'm not expecting much more unless Silent Hill shows up.

edit: next big things are price and services. In the case of Sony, backcompat.

I think that is extremely unlikely, because people are underwhelmed about what was shown now the messaging is "oh boy, you've seen nothing. That show we overhyped for weeks? that's nothing, in two months we'll show the real games". Maybe some 3rd party stuff but nothing huge. We know both lineups already, yes maybe Sony has their COD reveal in august but I'm not expecting much more unless Silent Hill shows up.

there are games i've seen that weren't shown at this show . For what reason I don't know and i don't know if they will be shown in august or closer to launch or even next year. MS themselves said they had other teams on other projects.

We just have to wait and see what comes out in august.

There are still a few titles that have been known for awhile that they didn't get into: Cuphead DLC, Battletoads & Age of Empires. Agree with your edit though. August should be all about that. I think we will get OS previews in September.

Tommy McClain

State of decay 3 looked good however it was a cutscene, no gameplay. I wasn't impressed with Halo Infinite's gameplay or graphics.

LTTP but yeah, State of Decay 3 and STALKER 2 pipped my post-apocalyptic game radar. I really hope SoD3 returns to a heavy single player focus, or is at least equally balanced for single/co-op. Grounded is looking better and better every time I see it. A good diverse selection of games shown, good job Microsoft. :yes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Am I the only person that defines exclusivity in terms of, a game being available for only one system?
I seriously believe that Microsoft considers pc gamers being a part of the xbox family.
And if their goal is to sell subscriptions in the future, they need to convince and convert many people into their platform.
Then again, they may not care...

Am I the only person that defines exclusivity in terms of, a game being available for only one system?
I seriously believe that Microsoft considers pc gamers being a part of the xbox family.
And if their goal is to sell subscriptions in the future, they need to convince and convert many people into their platform.
Then again, they may not care...
considering all their games are coming to steam, windows store. Yea, I mean, they are treating PC users as first class buyers in that regard. The game-pass PC will need to catch up, but the products are available.

I suppose exclusivity is console exclusivity.

considering all their games are coming to steam, windows store. Yea, I mean, they are treating PC users as first class buyers in that regard. The game-pass PC will need to catch up, but the products are available.

I suppose exclusivity is console exclusivity.
Gamepass is an amazing deal.
But it does need to catch up to compete with other offerings in many ways.
The financial benefits of it though, are simply miles ahead.
I have no idea if developers like it, but consumers should be very happy with it.
So much so, that they should pressure more platform holders to provide something similar.
As I'm sure many are already considering to do so.

This is a fairly bad hot take here.

MS and Sony make dramatically different 1P games. I'm not interested in TPS adventure titles that get drawn out over 40 hours of gameplay that is trying to be movie art and providing thought provoking commentary. I respect it sure. But it's not what I want in games. If that's all everyone wanted, then the most played games today would be Sony games and they aren't the most played.

I know this is wrong thread for this but,... I would only play with pc if sony didn't do those sony games like uncharted, horizon, ratchet&clank, gran turismo, little big planet, dreams,... I don't like all of sony games but there is enough to make me want to invest into console in addition to gaming with pc. I seriously don't want to play any kind of competitive game with pad so destiny, halo,... type games I would never play with a console.

I applaud for microsoft making pc first class citizen. That makes my life much better as I can go with pc+sony console and have enough content to play. No desire to get more platforms to game on as there is already more than enough games with the pc+sony combo.

I know this is wrong thread for this but,... I would only play with pc if sony didn't do those sony games like uncharted, horizon, ratchet&clank, gran turismo, little big planet, dreams,... I don't like all of sony games but there is enough to make me want to invest into console in addition to gaming with pc.
I'm definitely interested enough in them to want to play them, but not enough to buy separate hardware and the title at launch to. These are the type of games that if they show up on Gamepass I'll play for sure to check it out. But I may not finish.

Back