NextGen Games new $70 price point and paid upgrades? [2020-07]

BRiT

(>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
Legend
Supporter
This kind of goes along with the thread asking about viability of game development. However, this is a bit of a slap to the face when it's a sports title asking for more money. What innovations can be done there? It seems like the easiest genre to make money in, just do a roster update and some jersey and stadium style updates and you just printed yourself millions of dollars.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/07/will-nba-2k21s-70-price-set-a-new-next-gen-console-standard/

2K breaks gaming’s de facto $60 ceiling, asks $70 for next-gen NBA 2K21
Inflation has eroded big-budget gaming’s $60 standard for about 15 years now.

A new generation of video game consoles may come with a new standard price point for big-budget games. That's the impression 2K Games is giving, at least, with today's announcement that the Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5 versions of NBA 2K21 will come in at an MSRP of $69.99.​

That price point is $10 higher than the $59.99 asking price for the Xbox One and PS4 versions of the same game, which are due to launch September 4. And an NBA 2K spokesperson confirmed to Ars Technica that the premium pricing is based on what it sees as the increased value represented by the power of new consoles.​

"We believe our suggested retail price for NBA 2K21 on next-generation platforms fairly represents the value of what's being offered: power, speed, and technology that is only possible on new hardware," the representative told Ars Technica. "While we are confident that NBA 2K21 will be a monumental leap forward for the franchise and a standout visual showcase on next-generation consoles, we recognize that it's our responsibility to prove this value to our fans and NBA 2K players."​

Cyberpunk on amazon is little more than 60, and cost of licenses excluded, that is way more expensive to produce

i am totally not agreeable with this
Officially licensed sports games like football and basketball barely have the risk of other IPs. They have guaranteed sales and advancements over the previous installments are usually scarce.
Also the industry is MUCH bigger. This is most likely milking the cow.

I guess some Sony gamers got their wish, paid for patches for PS5. If you figure you could just play the base game in BC mode for $10 less.

This has been long and coming. I kinda wish they would have gone to $80 and just cut all micro transactions.

I don't mind paying more.. I buy 3 or 4 games a year at release of the title if even that anymore. For everything else I can judge based on reviews and impressions on what price point I'm willing to buy at and make a purchase then

They innovated by removing the loot boxes/microtransactions & now need more money?

Tommy McClain
What makes you think 2k would remove MTX from NBA 2k21? Considering they went all out this year with literal slot machines in the game.

More anticonsumer bullshit from 2K, from the article:

2K also confirmed that NBA 2K21 won't be supporting Microsoft's Xbox Smart Delivery system, which lets players buy a game once and download versions across multiple console generations. That said, 2K is offering a $99.99 "Mamba Forever Edition" for NBA 2K21, which includes a current-generation version and a download code to upgrade to a next-generation version in the future.​

What makes you think 2k would remove MTX from NBA 2k21? Considering they went all out this year with literal slot machines in the game.

Thought loot boxes were banned in a few European countries, no?

Tommy McClain

More anticonsumer bullshit from 2K, from the article:

2K also confirmed that NBA 2K21 won't be supporting Microsoft's Xbox Smart Delivery system, which lets players buy a game once and download versions across multiple console generations. That said, 2K is offering a $99.99 "Mamba Forever Edition" for NBA 2K21, which includes a current-generation version and a download code to upgrade to a next-generation version in the future.​

I expected it being optional on 3rd party titles, especially yearly sports titles. The whole business is based on making players buying it every year. Smart Delivery would go against that.

Tommy McClain

Thought loot boxes were banned in a few European countries, no?

Tommy McClain
Belgium only so far, maybe 1 other is more regulated. UK just announced a bombshell though pushing for gambling classification immediately. I'm not sure why that would stop 2k from raking in millions from loot boxes in every other country it can though.

I expected it being optional on 3rd party titles, especially yearly sports titles. The whole business is based on making players buying it every year. Smart Delivery would go against that.

Tommy McClain

No it wouldn't. You'd still have to buy the current year. Smart delivery would not give you 2022 game when you bought 2021. It would only give you Series X updated version of the game you bought.

If anything, it makes more sense because the game may come out before NextGen is released. Now players have option of not buying it at all and waiting for next gen release or spending 66% more for deluxe edition to play it now and also includes NextGen version. The publisher is trying to squeeze even more money. I hope everyone doesnt buy it initially as they wait for nextgen.

Anybody know what sales for the NBA2K series have been like or the overall finances of the publisher?

Has to be one of the most successful publishers around right?

And NBA2K is one of the few showcase sports games when they launch FIFA might sell more but NBA2K has to also do very well.

No it wouldn't. You'd still have to buy the current year. Smart delivery would not give you 2022 game when you bought 2021. It would only give you Series X updated version of the game you bought.

If anything, it makes more sense because the game may come out before NextGen is released. Now players have option of not buying it at all and waiting for next gen release or spending 66% more for deluxe edition to play it now and also includes NextGen version. The publisher is trying to squeeze even more money. I hope everyone doesnt buy it initially as they wait for nextgen.

I see what you're saying. I thought this was a similar deal to the Madden deal. With that you got the XSX version free before a certain date(January 2021?). Looks like this one is tied to the pre-order of one specific version. So yeah, it's not as good of a deal.

Tommy McClain

Back