Beyond science!

Fusion Startup Claims Breakthrough Will Provide “Unlimited” Energy
"We are sidestepping all of the scientific challenges that have held fusion energy back for more than half a century."
VICTOR TANGERMANNFEBRUARY 21ST 2020
An Australian fusion startup called HB11, a spin-off from the University of New South Wales, claims to have found a way to revolutionize current nuclear fusion technology, potentially laying the groundwork for a new era of power generation — without running the risk of a nuclear meltdown.
https://futurism.com/fusion-startup-breakthrough-unlimited-energy

I believe there's some actual proper physics behind that, it just needed lasers to catch up! Not sure what the road from theory, to a working net energy positive reactor, to rapidly rolling out a product would look like for them.

My money is on Commonwealth Fusion Systems reaching net energy positive fusion first. Years of MIT small reactor experience + new high temperature super conductors + sensible development and productisation plan seems like a winner.

UNNATURAL SELECTION
SCIENTISTS ARE CREATING MOUSE-HUMAN HYBRIDS

Mighty Mouse
A team of scientists has created the most thoroughly-integrated mouse-human hybrid yet.

Eventually, doctors hope that these chimeras — organisms engineered to have the cells of multiple animals — could serve as more accurate models for medical research, or even farm human organs for patients on donor waitlists, Science News reports. Those days are still far off, but the biological tricks learned while creating these new chimeras could usher in such a future.
https://futurism.com/the-byte/scientists-creating-mouse-human-hybrids

Ok, this is a bit scary. And I'm surprised this doesn't come with the typical ethical debate.

I suppose I'm ok with it but it just made me feel a bit uncomfortable.

SCIENTISTS CLAIM TO HAVE RECREATED EARTH’S FIRST LIFE

Playing God
A team of scientists believe that they’ve recreated the biochemical processes that gave rise to the earliest forms of life on Earth.

Researchers from the University of Duisburg-Essen recreated the harsh conditions deep within the Earth’s crust as it existed some 3.8 billion years ago, which is where they suspect life began. Under those conditions, they say they managed to create and destroy 1,500 vesicles — bubble-like biological structures similar to a cell’s membrane — over a period of two weeks.
https://futurism.com/the-byte/scientists-claim-recreated-earths-first-life

Hm... If this is confirmed and validated AND we can go further from here, that would be awesome.

But should we? :p

Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they didn't stop to think if they should!

But should we? :p

Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they didn't stop to think if they should!
That's a good question! I'm not sure about the answer, myself. If it's just low scale and they have full control... But things could go unexpectedly wrong, I know.

What do you think about it? Should they?

This Scientist Says He’s Built a Jet Engine That Turns Electricity Directly Into Thrust
If this plasma propulsion tech is real, it could change everything.
DAN ROBITZSKIA DAY AGO

This past autumn, a professor at Wuhan University named Jau Tang was hard at work piecing together a thruster prototype that, at first, sounds too good to be true.

The basic idea, he said in an interview, is that his device turns electricity directly into thrust — no fossil fuels required — by using microwaves to energize compressed air into a plasma state and shooting it out like a jet. Tang suggested, without a hint of self-aggrandizement, that it could likely be scaled up enough to fly large commercial passenger planes. Eventually, he says, it might even power spaceships.
https://futurism.com/scientist-jet-engine-electricity-thrust

I hope this gets funded and implemented in real, practical uses.

It's a fascinating idea. Doesn't sound like it could be practice for a long time due to the power demands.
Yes, but think of all the space a rocket (I know, I'm totally ignoring cars and going straight for the rockets :D) needs to store fuel. Maybe use that space (or less?) to store efficient batteries, instead?

Yes, but think of all the space a rocket (I know, I'm totally ignoring cars and going straight for the rockets :D) needs to store fuel. Maybe use that space (or less?) to store efficient batteries, instead?

So from that article:

The basic idea, he said in an interview, is that his device turns electricity directly into thrust — no fossil fuels required — by using microwaves to energize compressed air into a plasma state and shooting it out like a jet.

But both said they were fascinated by the research and hoped to see future progress. They also pointed out that a plasma thruster could be useful for pushing satellites or spacecraft that are already in orbit — though at that point it would need to bring propellant with it rather than using atmospheric air, since there’d be none in the vacuum of space.

If you're taking propellant with you it doesn't sound a million miles from the electric propulsion systems (ion drives) that are already commonly used quite commonly in space-based applications (eg. Starlink, but lots of others too).

So from that article:

If you're taking propellant with you it doesn't sound a million miles from the electric propulsion systems (ion drives) that are already commonly used quite commonly in space-based applications (eg. Starlink, but lots of others too).
Hm... I don't know. I guess we'll have to wait and see if this goes anywhere.

Hm... I don't know. I guess we'll have to wait and see if this goes anywhere.

Ion engines are really low thrust, but they can keep it up for long time (ahem). The Tang thruster, if it scales, is high thrust. From the article, power density is a big issue. We can feasibly create batteries with 3x the energy density of those available today and that's still not going to be enough for even short haul flights. Micro fission reactors are not going to be a popular option. Not even some of the more promising small fusion reactors are promising ones that'll fit in an airframe for the foreseeable future.

Ion engines are really low thrust, but they can keep it up for long time (ahem). The Tang thruster, if it scales, is high thrust. From the article, power density is a big issue. We can feasibly create batteries with 3x the energy density of those available today and that's still not going to be enough for even short haul flights. Micro fission reactors are not going to be a popular option. Not even some of the more promising small fusion reactors are promising ones that'll fit in an airframe for the foreseeable future.
Well, that sucks...

Regarding nuclear options, I read an article a few days ago related to space travel. I'll post it if I can find it again.

Ion engines are really low thrust, but they can keep it up for long time (ahem). The Tang thruster, if it scales, is high thrust.

I'm missing the physics here. Where does this extra thrust come from?

To be clear about my question: jet engines and ion thrusters have completely different applications. A jet engine will not work in space, and using an ion engine in the atmosphere would be silly.

So in what way is a Tang engine better for space-based applications than an ion drive?

I'm missing the physics here. Where does this extra thrust come from?

To be clear about my question: jet engines and ion thrusters have completely different applications. A jet engine will not work in space, and using an ion engine in the atmosphere would be silly.

So in what way is a Tang engine better for space-based applications than an ion drive?

Don't see how it's suitable for space either, just responding to it being compared to ion drives.

The Tang engine's an air jet, rather than electric jet really. It's the compressed air being turn to plasma and expanding out of the back that's making it go. It'd be crap for space as it's massively power intensive and you still need to bring load of air as propellant.

ONLY HOPE JOKE
SCIENTISTS CREATE TRUE, “STAR WARS”-STYLE HOLOGRAM
gclXOazq

KENTARO IWAMI/ TUAT
https://futurism.com/the-byte/true-star-wars-style-hologram

I wonder if this is the real thing, at last.

I learned something new today, ever wonder why there is a law requiring headlights to be a certain height? The answer is roadsigns, the closer to your eyes the headlights are the further you can see roadsigns. Why? because the signs use retroreflectors which reflect light parralell to the direction it hits it reducting the effect of the inverse square law (the tendency of light to spread out )

Back