How to sell next-gen consoles, Marketing, Positioning, and Pricing [2020]

When were they not? An I9 coupled with a 2080S should see anyone through this gen comfortably.
That setup isn't exactly going to set the world on fire either, at least not much more than the consoles would. And still easily nearly double the price

That setup isn't exactly going to set the world on fire either, at least not much more than the consoles would. And still easily nearly double the price

DLSS and ray-tracing will be the main difference maker of this gen. Invest in tensor & RT cores.

DLSS and ray-tracing will be the main difference maker of this gen. Invest in tensor & RT cores.
2080TI alone is still more than 2X what these consoles will be.
I'm all for PC, but these price points aren't for mainstream markets. Even $499 is still very high for most people.

They will have some ML stuff, VRS, and some RT. That should be sufficient for it's price point.

Sony had a poor showing after all the hype going into the show only to show Spiderman DLC and Horizon Zero Dawn 2 cut-scenes. Massive disappointment when it came to showing why they invested so much into a revolutionary SSD.

The showcase wasn't a massive dissapointment, only if people expected that 'truly next generational leap' like from 2d to 3d, or from ps3 to ps4 etc. But that's all thanks to the hyping.
Ratchet did show the advantages of a SSD over a mechanical 5200rpm drive though, GT showed ray tracing for cars. Those where the only two really showing something next gen i think. HZFW while looking much better ofc then HZD, it didn't deliver that UE5 moment.

MS is the only one who has shown a glimpse of next-gen with it's "in-engine" footage of Hellblade.

IF that was ingame or what we get, yes then they have completely destroyed everything else. But it certainly was not, it looks way to good for that as DF mentioned in their analysis. It ran at 24fps also.
I don't think we can expect much more then HZFW and infinite graphics.

meh, PC's are getting very expensive at the high end. The consoles will do fine at their respective price points.

They always have been, high end gaming pc's have historically been expensive when new released parts are considered. The best thing would be like usual, wait a year in to next gen with getting a new one. A pcie5 zen 3/ mid range ampere or rdna2 setup will be much more capable then either console, and won't run you into 2000+ dollars worth of hardware.

Or if you have a 2070/3700x/nvme setup right now, just live with that, it will last an entire generation and won't differ all that much from the lowest end console coming generation (PS5). Games scale very well these days, and with NV's DLSS, there's not all that much to worry about i think. DLSS2.0 is seriously amazing.
Yes pc's are more expensive, but you also get more hardware which you can do alot more with. It's also easier to upgrade (just the GPU is needed most likely) instead of ditching the console and get the mid-gen upgrade. With the advancements made on the pc front, as in more and more console exclusives seem to make a appearence on pc, it could be a viable alternative.

But yes, if you want the highest end at the console launch, your going to have a worse-then-console value if only gaming is what your going to do. Like said, wait a year in after ampere is released and the mid range variant (3070), and just about any 8 core CPU will do.
You get both MS and to a lesser extend, sony exclusives on one platform. Yes DS and HZD, come later but with the ability to run 60fps and better graphic settings, and mods if you want.

The showcase wasn't a massive dissapointment, only if people expected that 'truly next generational leap' like from 2d to 3d...
No-one was expecting that - we'll never have a leap like that again. As for expectations not being met, I point again to reveals of yesteryear. The quality of launch titles and things shown in reveals is well below what the consoles actually achieve in their lifetime, except for fake trailers like Deep Down. Look at this launch trailers and scale up what devs will be achieving five years from now and be impressed. If you lack vision and only know what's in front of you, just stick with current gen consoles until next-gen hits its stride.

Five years from now, we'll be reviewing games and saying, "that's so much better than last gen could have done. These SSDs are awesome," and the like. Same as every generation. The doubters just don't appreciate the software arc from launch titles to end-game titles and for some reason are wanting third-gen games (third titles a dev has created for a platform, when they've mastered its potential from experience) appearing at launch. As if for the past three years, these devs should have been working on next-gen launch exclusives.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

No-one was expecting that - we'll never have a leap like that again. As for expectations not being met, I point again to reveals of yesteryear. The quality of launch titles and things shown in reveals is well below what the consoles actually achieve in their lifetime, except for fake trailers like Deep Down. Look at this launch trailers and scale up what devs will be achieving five years from now and be impressed. If you lack vision and only know what's in front of you, just stick with current gen consoles until next-gen hits its stride.

Five years from now, we'll be reviewing games and saying, "that's so much better than last gen could have done. These SSDs are awesome," and the like. Same as every generation. The doubters just don't appreciate the software arc from launch titles to end-game titles and for some reason are wanting third-gen games (third titles a dev has created for a platform, when they've mastered its potential from experience) appearing at launch. As if for the past three years, these devs should have been working on next-gen launch exclusives.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Its the same as it always is. Remember the xbox 360 launch with people making fun of it saying it was an xbox 1.5 because of perfect dark zero? People stopped saying that once they caught view of gears of war.

Nope. Sony had a poor showing after all the hype going into the show only to show Spiderman DLC and Horizon Zero Dawn 2 cut-scenes. Massive disappointment when it came to showing why they invested so much into a revolutionary SSD. They are right there for the taking.

You obviously can feel that way but I was impressed by the show, lots of games with lots of variety. I'm sure the Horizon Forbidden West was in-game cutscenes but here's the thing Horizons real time graphics was very comparable with there in game cutscenes if I remember correctly, it has been a while since I played Zero Dawn. That things were running at native 4k means there's quite a lot left in the tank also.

No-one was expecting that

Some did.

If you lack vision

Absolutely not, ive always thought and said that expectations should be kept in check. That's for both XSX and PS5, both 1st party titles for those consoles will look equally great on the hardware their games are developed for.

Five years from now, we'll be reviewing games and saying

Maybe, even though looking back at the PS4, going from Order 1886, UC4 to Last of us 2 and death stranding, yes the latter look better, but not by so much. Uncharted 4 still is visually impressive, and while ND's newest is doing things better visually, it's not that big of a leap. I think this was more true with the older generations like PS2 and 360 era.

Nope. Sony had a poor showing after all the hype going into the show only to show Spiderman DLC and Horizon Zero Dawn 2 cut-scenes. Massive disappointment when it came to showing why they invested so much into a revolutionary SSD. They are right there for the taking.
As far as I am concerned, MS is the only one who has shown a glimpse of next-gen with it's "in-engine" footage of Hellblade. If this too turns out to be bullshit, then double yikes. PC it will be for the duration of this gen. Again.

The two are quite literally the same "in engine cut-scenes". And you can add Demon Souls to that too, even though I'm still not sure that was really realtime. Why is one a disappointment and the other is a "glimpse of next gen"?

Interesting how late they are willing to leave the pricing/pre-ordering of these consoles. Were you not able to pre-order Xbox One and PS4 pretty much around E3 last time?

Interesting how late they are willing to leave the pricing/pre-ordering of these consoles. Were you not able to pre-order Xbox One and PS4 pretty much around E3 last time?
It was for the first week of July for PS4 in the UK. 4 July to be specific.

It was for the first week of July for PS4 in the UK. 4 July to be specific.

Oh Ok, I thought both were available to pre-order pretty much right when they were announced at E3.

I guess it doesn't really matter if it's June or September as most people pre-ordering probably do it in the first few days anyway.

In the US it was June 10 for both the Xbox One & PlayStation 4.

The EU has more regulation that the US on this, for example in the EU there is anti-fraud Regulation that unintentionally covers this situation, which states that you cannot entertain a contract of sale (including pre-orders) if you do not have "reasonable assurance" that you'll be able to meet the contract, which means not only delivering but delivering on launch day. For this reason, most retailers through the EU will not entertain pre-orders until they know what their launch allocation of hardware is going for be - this is good because if your pre-order is accepted you know the retailer will have enough stock and they've not oversold like airplane ticket availability.

It may be that PlayStation US were ahead of other regions but I suspect it more likely that US retailers were entertaining pre-orders even before they knew what their launch allocation was.

The EU has more regulation that the US on this, for example in the EU there is anti-fraud Regulation that unintentionally covers this situation, which states that you cannot entertain a contract of sale (including pre-orders) if you do not have "reasonable assurance" that you'll be able to meet the contract, which means not only delivering but delivering on launch day. For this reason, most retailers through the EU will not entertain pre-orders until they know what their launch allocation of hardware is going for be - this is good because if your pre-order is accepted you know the retailer will have enough stock and they've not oversold like airplane ticket availability.

It may be that PlayStation US were ahead of other regions but I suspect it more likely that US retailers were entertaining pre-orders even before they knew what their launch allocation was.

I guess that no longer applies to the UK?

Yeah, the latter. US retailers will take pre-orders for vaporware with no problems.

Tommy McClain

I guess that no longer applies to the UK?
That won't change, all EU Regulations become UK law on 1st January 2021. Nothing will change for a while and although there are some batshit crazy EU Regulations that will changed pretty quick, things like consumer rights and protection aren't among them. The UK has been a strong proponent of increasing consumer protection but other countries have been resisting it. More regulation = more enforcement = more money.

6fx6ZXW.jpg

Back