Best 4K HDR TV's for One X, PS4 Pro [2017-2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both are B9. B9S and B9D differ only in the number of TV tuners apparently.
https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/comparison/22bf10935f

Your link indicates a lot more than a tuner difference. D and S supports HDCP 2.3 and HFR (High Frame Rate) while P does not. They also support GSync, Apple AirPlay 2, Alexa, HEVC and a number of other features while P doesn’t.

P seems to have 4 HDM1 2.1 ports with eARC while D and S only support eARC on 1 of 4 ports.

Your link indicates a lot more than a tuner difference. D and S supports HDCP 2.3 and HFR (High Frame Rate) while P does not. They also support GSync, Apple AirPlay 2, Alexa, HEVC and a number of other features while P doesn’t.

P seems to have 4 HDM1 2.1 ports with eARC while D and S only support eARC on 1 of 4 ports.

What a mess. So there's no clear low, mid, high tier. So P will be the best to be used for easy installation (due to 4 earc ports) but you'll miss awesome features, while d and s will be the best for anything as long as you properly put the AVR into the 1 earc port.

This makes me remember Intel years ago with confusing features / cores / threads / clocks / TDP-SDP / gen.

Edit: scratch that. Intel 10th gen is confusing.

Is the second season comparable for the HDR? Already saw the first season and don't want to watch it again. Got too many other shows I still want to watch.

I meant the intro only. I usually look at it as a benchmark of what to expect from HDR on that TV. It's got bright CGI drawings on a completely black background, and then it subtlety changes to dark but still clearly defined backgrounds.

I think most of those omissions on the P-model (2019 B9) is a mistake or might have been valid when it launched early 2019, but it does support atleast Gsync, Airplay, Alexa and HEVC now, not sure about HDCP 2.3.

Ehm, I didn't mention P because @Pressure was asking about B9S specifically, and PLA is usually sold only in UK AFAIK. My memory could have served me wrong.

Oops, I am actually wrong. Lesson learnt: don't trust your memory too much. :D

Last edited:
I'm gravitating towards the 55" LG CX. The BX is AWOL in the UK and I know I can get the C9/B9 cheaper and that there aren't massive differences between the 2019 and 2020 LG models but I just can't bring myself to buy a year-old model. I'd prefer the Sony A9G but given it didn't support VRR/ALLM out of the box and Sony have not indicated it's coming (but some LED sets will be updated to support it. I can't consider that - not for nextgen console gaming. :nope:

But the lack of native support for 1440p@60Hz on the C9? Just, why LG? :cry:

edit: also I bought a HENMES TV bench from IKEA (in black/brown), which solves my problem of lack of room in the current AV centre for nextgen consoles. One of the top three shelves will take the Series X and the magnificent and ludicrous PS5 can stand vertical next to the TV in is bonker's vertical glory! :yes: And my Roomba has enough clearance to make it underneath! Two days of researching AV centres, many phone calls asking online retailers how high the legs are and having had people go and open a box and measure the damn things, then finally I stumble into IKEA's online store. Why is IKEA always the last place I look when invariably they always have what I want!?!?!:runaway:

hemnes-tv-bench__0679567_PE719638_S5.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm gravitating towards the 55" LG CX. The BX is AWOL in the UK and I know I can get the C9/B9 cheaper and that there aren't massive differences between the 2019 and 2020 LG models but I just can't bring myself to buy a year-old model. I'd prefer the Sony A9G but given it didn't support VRR/ALLM out of the box and Sony have not indicated it's coming (but some LED sets will be updated to support it. I can't consider that - not for nextgen console gaming. :nope:

But the lack of native support for 1440p@60Hz on the C9? Just, why LG? :cry:

edit: also I bought a HENMES TV bench from IKEA (in black/brown), which solves my problem of lack of room in the current AV centre for nextgen consoles. One of the top three shelves will take the Series X and the magnificent and ludicrous PS5 can stand vertical next to the TV in is bonker's vertical glory! :yes: And my Roomba has enough clearance to make it underneath! Two days of researching AV centres, many phone calls asking online retailers how high the legs are and having had people go and open a box and measure the damn things, then finally I stumble into IKEA's online store. Why is IKEA always the last place I look when invariably they always have what I want!?!?!:runaway:

hemnes-tv-bench__0679567_PE719638_S5.JPG

Isn't the X series a downgrade from 9 series, except for better post processing?

A few I remember from the top of my head.

X loses DTS
X got buggy black level or something (Workaround by upping the gamma or something on settings, lg promise an update to fix it)

Personally I'm planning to get 48inch X after Y released. I'm chasing old stock discount. Currently using 55inch and its too big as a pc monitor. I used to use 49 inch and it was perfect, so 48 inch probably also good.

Edit:
It seems you can set a custom resolution profile to run c9 at 1440p.

Edit 2

It seems no longer need to use custom profile for 1440p. May need to enable pc mode.

Last edited:
Isn't the X series a downgrade from 9 series, except for better post processing?

Yeah, there's not a lot between them. Post-processing, i.e. the picture, is a step ahead and is more important to me than the regressions which all seem to be on the audio side and don't bother us.

Yeah, there's not a lot between them. Post-processing, i.e. the picture, is a step ahead and is more important to me than the regressions which all seem to be on the audio side and don't bother us.
Yeah for that needs x series is better.

Hmm I wonder if Sony will properly support hdmi 2.1 next time. Because
I prefer to get the most original picture from TV but I hate judder. so I always disable all post processing, except motion interpolation (for movies / TV series). So Sony should be nice, as their motion interpolation is the best.

Or I'll just use Splash's motion interpolation, as usual.

Hmm I wonder if Sony will properly support hdmi 2.1 next time.
Sony's position is bewildering. The Sony A9G (OLED) was released in April with and almost all notable HDMI2.1 features except for VRR.. The Sony X900H (LED) released in May was released without VRR but at least a commitment to add it in a future patch.

Huh? :???: You've bloody seeded doubt in my mind now though, the lower price of the LG C9 is really, really tempting. I know it's a great set and I know almost certainly I will never be able to tell them apart.

I'm gravitating towards the 55" LG CX. The BX is AWOL in the UK and I know I can get the C9/B9 cheaper and that there aren't massive differences between the 2019 and 2020 LG models but I just can't bring myself to buy a year-old model.

Have you seen this comparison?

The CX uses a TV SoC with embedded HDMI 2.1 that limits the maximum bandwidth to 40Gbps (should be 48Gbps), whereas the C9 uses a more expensive external controller for HDMI 2.1 that is actually more capable in certain aspects.
The C9 is the better option for gaming, supposedly.

I love stuff like this, but this doesn't really help. Better blacks and BFI on CX, more bandwidth on C9, along with some audio formats that I'll never use. CX handle low-bitrate videos better and we do a fair amount of 1990s/2000s media on DVD that was never remastered in HD that we don't really watch because it just looks ass.

I am leaning towards the C9 at the moment though, that £700 quid saved could buy a much larger SSD for PS5 for legacy PS4 games. Really I'm conjuring reasons to avoid making a decision in the hope Sony update their OLED A9 set with VRR support. I know it's not going to happen, if it was they'd have said so already.

I am leaning towards the C9 at the moment though, that £700 quid saved could buy a much larger SSD for PS5 for legacy PS4 games. Really I'm conjuring reasons to avoid making a decision in the hope Sony update their OLED A9 set with VRR support. I know it's not going to happen, if it was they'd have said so already.

Well I wouldn’t put my eggs in Sony’s basket when it comes to updating their TVs. Pretty sure we had to wait more than a year to get a promised Dolby Vision update. Took bloody ages.

Sony is weird. So the only synergy between their gaming and tv division is deliberately gimping the "game mode" auto detection? Reports says it only able to auto detect PS4.

The CX uses a TV SoC with embedded HDMI 2.1 that limits the maximum bandwidth to 40Gbps (should be 48Gbps), whereas the C9 uses a more expensive external controller for HDMI 2.1 that is actually more capable in certain aspects.

Maybe the current 2.1 chipsets are too costly.

May be why a lot of 2020 products still doesn't have 2.1.

Yet both panels are only 10bit not 12bit so 48Gbs makes no difference.
Only time it may make a difference is Nvidia currently does not support 10bit output for some crazy reason.
So you need to output at 12bit and let the tv dither it down to 10bit.
Don't know if Nvidia supports DCC, if it does then even that would not be an issue.

People should be petitioning Nvidia for 10bit output.

The C9 certainly seems popular in the UK. Currys: Out of Stock. John Lewis: Out of Stock. Richer Sounds: "Erratic Stock".

Amazon: 6 in stock. Ordered the C9, it arrives Friday or Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back