What do you prefer for games: Framerates and Resolutions? [2020]

What would you prioritize?

• Total voters
What BS from Phil Spencer. Full scene ray-tracing is the biggest step change since the 2d to 3d transition (the recent NVIDIA demo with transparent beads come to mind). All that tells me is that the upcoming consoles are severely lacking in the ray-tracing department.

Maybe the fact that in the demo you mentioned your “playable character” is a marble rolling around in a very pretty and very static environment should give us an idea that expecting that level of realism and RTRT in games with all sorts of other technologies, animations, dynamic objects and environments, is not going to be easily attainable on consoles or even super duper Nvidia hardware. Hence, Minecraft RTX.

I think he talks more about the launch title. They have many impressive title coming later and many uses UE5, Hellblade2, Project Mara or the game from The Initiative after they have cross gen games for the beginning of the gen.

I forget Fable too.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...l-be-immersion-more-than-visuals-spencer-says

framerate over visual*

unknown.png

*Damage Control

I think it was very telling that Gears 5 ran at higher framerate on a 2080 than on Series X. AMD provides a great solution for both Sony and MS and, while the have made a lot of progress on the CPU front, they don't seem to be able to close the gap with NVIDIA on the GPU side. They can compete in the mid-tier market, which may be enough for them, but they can't catch 2080 and even 2070 super performance (the 5700XT is very close tho). Will RDNA2 close the GAP? My bet is that a 3060 (even with less theoretical performance) paired with a 3600X will offer better performance in multiplat games than both consoles.

*Damage Control

I think it was very telling that Gears 5 ran at higher framerate on a 2080 than on Series X. AMD provides a great solution for both Sony and MS and, while the have made a lot of progress on the CPU front, they don't seem to be able to close the gap with NVIDIA on the GPU side. They can compete in the mid-tier market, which may be enough for them, but they can't catch 2080 and even 2070 super performance (the 5700XT is very close tho). Will RDNA2 close the GAP? My bet is that a 3060 (even with less theoretical performance) paired with a 3600X will offer better performance in multiplat games than both consoles.

We need to wait, this was not the final devkit. Wait end of year we will have a better idea of performance of the two consoles. There will be game on Xbox Series X with a true gap with Xbox Box One X but they will arrive later whent they will stop to do crossgen game.

And we will probably see some game during July event.

Not a fan of this focus Phil, I’d rather maximize visuals first to get a proper leap over current gen. But hey we now have options. For the best looking visuals go PS5, for the smoothest experience go XSX, everyone's happy.

Even if this was true(it's probably not) you can't have the best overall visuals at 30fps, you can only have the best screenshots.

BRiT said:
Remains to be seen how this plays out when one side has more performance available.

Can we not and say we did?

Expect performance modes as well as visual/resolution modes in XSX games, is my real takeaway from that. Especially since the PS5 is already confirmed to be doing that with the Demons Souls remaster and Avengers.

Even if this was true(it's probably not) you can't have the best overall visuals at 30fps, you can only have the best screenshots.
Unless XSX is a 20.6TF console then yeah, it most definitely will be true, pure math here.
And yeah sure you get more motion clarity with 60fps but at the end of the day 30fps is clear enough for majority of the folks, the sheer amount of graphics afforded would be way more noticeable than being smoother in motion. But I guess you can call it however you wanted. The most eye pleasing, smoothest, etc.

Remains to be seen how this plays out when one side has more performance available.
Remains to be seen indeed. If both are aiming for 30fps for their respective first party title then the extra Tflops should offer either better Raytracing, slightly higher res (15% higher?) or a few settings higher in shadows, volumetric lighting etc. While the 2x faster SSD could potentially stream in more high res assets or higher res assets, better LOD, maybe even more advanced level design?
But what's certain is if it's 60fps vs 30fps then you could easily tell which one looks better right away, unless XSX magically attains 20.6TF at launch.
Interesting times ahead.

While the 2x faster SSD could potentially stream in more high res assets or higher res assets, better LOD, maybe even more advanced level design?

Remains to be seen. I'm still not convinced by that, considering the scene diversity requirements while remaining a visually coherent presentation.

Next year's GDC would be something alright. Can't wait to see how first party devs utilize the SSD to its full bandwidth's extent and what creative approaches were made to aid the game design.

But the differential of power is too small for being able to do better visual at double the framerate...

When people talk about differential of power, we are under the impression this is big. This is nowhere near PS4 nd XB1 power differential or PS4 Pro and Xbox One X differential of power.

As to comparing between first party exclusives, I find that subjective aspects (art style and direction) have a larger impact than anything quantitative.

Comparing third party cross-platform titles will typically fall into the more performance means higher quality. That's why games look so much better on PCs.

I would LOVE for there to be 'performance' and 'quality' modes in every major release, and to finally, at the end of the generation, get statistics on whether gamer choose 30 fps pretties or 60 fps smoothness (and how that breaks down per genre).

One thing to consider is how they can turn the sliders on the CPU side and what that really means for a 30fps mode that's potentially underutilizing the CPU (I suppose there might be less CPU power consumption, effectively :p). It's certainly easier if they already decide upon a 60fps target from the get-go as graphics quality is certainly easier to scale.

But the differential of power is too small for being able to do better visual at double the framerate...

When people talk about differential of power, we are under the impression this is big. This is nowhere near PS4 nd XB1 power differential or PS4 Pro and Xbox One X differential of power.
hmmm...
I wouldn't be so confident about that.
If a console is stuck inbetween 30 and 60, it will be capped back to 30 right.

well we talk about situations in which there's enough there for XSX to make it to 4K60 and just not enough to hold 40-50fps on PS5, and you have your 4K30 vs 4K60 scenario.

ti's not that hard to see happening.

We already know from DF reports that XSX is holding Gears 5 ultra at 60fps very little to no optimization.

So...
https://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/software/gears_5_pc_performance_review_optimisation_guide/9

we have a ballpark idea of where a 5700xt overclocked will land as well. Hint, it's average is 40fps. PS5 isn't going to make up a 20fps / 50% performance increase just by clocking a nudge higher.

if you accept that there will be titles that land in this type of setup then there will be cases where PS5 is 1440p30 and XSX is 4K30 or 1440p60.

I think it really depends on which console is the lead platform. If XSX is the lead platform this scenario can arise. If PS5 is the lead platform I expect XSX to have a small differential over pS5.

Last edited:
well we talk about situations in which there's enough there for XSX to make it to 4K60 and just not enough to hold 40-50fps on PS5, and you have your 4K30 vs 4K60 scenario.

Although VRR throws a bit of a spanner into the works. Couple that with dynamic resolution, and it seems quite likely that the difference in performance (whether that's framerate or resolution will vary from game to game) will be near enough the difference in TF's.

Either way, the XSX won't dip as much, but for a 4K60 vs 4K30 scenario, you'd be looking at the kind of shoddy optimisation that one of the first CoD's got on the XBoxOne.

Edit; btw, I played God of War at 1080p with an unlocked framerate. It wasn't perfect, but it was visually pleasing even without VRR. So I'm not convinced that a developer/publisher would lock the PS5 version of a game at 30fps, just because it can't constantly hit 60.

Although VRR throws a bit of a spanner into the works. Couple that with dynamic resolution, and it seems quite likely that the difference in performance (whether that's framerate or resolution will vary from game to game) will be near enough the difference in TF's.

Either way, the XSX won't dip as much, but for a 4K60 vs 4K30 scenario, you'd be looking at the kind of shoddy optimisation that one of the first CoD's got on the XBoxOne.
But while very cool, VRR is still a feature that the vast majority of us do not and will not have on our TVs for years. I sure as hell will not upgrade my 4K/HDR TV any time soon.

Back