The Official, Long Awaited, TV Shows Thread

billions is sooo good, now to wait for the final 5 episodes
it was worth watching the episodes, dont sit on the fence friends
jump in

3 episodes into Space Force. It's fun but I also don't get what they're trying to do.
Too serious to be looney satire, too comedic to be serious.
The problem is what they're trying to do is not to poke fun at but to actually humanise & normalise the gross extremist US Exceptionalism bullshit that is the basis of US Space Force.

Behind the 'hah hah its Steve Carrel' surface the content consistently backs US official policy:
US Space Force is needed because look the Chinese are doing it & doing it first.
Russia Bad too.
Can't trust any foreigners.
Science is ignorable/silly except when we need it.

Space Force has a 100% military/spy satelite/cyberwar mandate, yet the show presents it mainly as doing civilian science.

Thats why its not actually funny.
If it was really poking fun it would be dismantling those not reinforcing them.

Dr Strangelove this ain't.

Behind the 'hah hah its Steve Carrel' surface the content consistently backs US official policy:
US Space Force is needed because look the Chinese are doing it & doing it first.
Russia Bad too.
Can't trust any foreigners.
Science is ignorable/silly except when we need it.

Does it though? If the characters in a show do ridiculous things, admitting the silliness of their actions but trying to justify it to themselves, what is it actually reinforcing?
Is Avenue 5 in fact promoting space tourism and trying to create public acceptance for stupid behavior?
Now that it got mentioned, Avenue 5 was quite boring and pointless.

I haz question about a tv show
The man in the high castle - what was on the film ?

Which film? There were many films. An entire warehouse and castle room full.

They all showed alternate-history based worlds.

If the characters in a show do ridiculous things
As I said: Its not what the silly people in the front are doing, its the background consistently reinforcing that 'Space Force is necessary & fine' which is the mesage.

Edit: Maybe it makes more sense in the books (which I haven't read) but I found the whole 'alternate' history films outlyingly odd & seemingly unneccesary to the plot of MitHC.

Last edited:
My problem with Space Force is that it isn't very good. Lots of well-known and very capable comedy actors but the script/plotting hasn't been very funny in the first two episodes that I've seen. I'll probably not bother with the rest.

As I said: Its not what the silly people in the front are doing, its the background consistently reinforcing that 'Space Force is necessary & fine' which is the mesage.

The rivalry of the superpowers is exactly the target of the satire, at least that's the impression the series left on me. I can't see Americans retributing the Chinese running over the US flag in a buggy something that is genuinely trying to justify the existence of the real Space Force. The series is not really funny, it's very unevenly executed, but I can't see it promoting much anything.

Perhaps this is a bit like the scene in Canadian Bacon where John Candy et al were singing the line 'Born in the USA' without having a clue of the rest of the song's lyrics.

Foundation series looks incredibly promising. The teaser almost gave me chills (I have read the novels so I can't wait to see how the compelling material by Asimov is going to be done on TV). There is so much potential there and the actors all looked great, particularly Jared Harris as Seldon.

Foundation series looks incredibly promising. The teaser almost gave me chills (I have read the novels so I can't wait to see how the compelling material by Asimov is going to be done on TV). There is so much potential there and the actors all looked great, particularly Jared Harris as Seldon.

I wonder how influential Asimov is.

When I was a kid, long time ago, you'd see his books taking up a lot of shelf space in book stores. Is that still the case?

But I was watching the Swedish series Real Humans and they referenced the Asimov laws of robotics a couple of times.

Did that Will Smith movie based on one of Asimov's books do well?

It would be interesting to see how the series turns out. I would think they're aiming for more than the audience who read sci-fi books. So they're going to have to throw in some sex a la Game of Thrones.

Will Roku get Peacock service? And how much?

There was supposed to be some partnership between Comcast Peacock and Cox, but never saw details, probably requires their horrible TV service and X1 device. I'll probably have to resort to other means to watch their few good shows.

I get the feeling it would be better described as 'Inspired by the groundbreaking novels' than 'Based on'... The original Foundation trilogy would of course be way too pedestrian and naive to work as literal live-action translation for today's audience. But when at older age he started integrating the robot universe and empire/foundation universe together, it opened up an enormous source of material, and the later extension books are stylistically much better fit for live action space opera format I think. But I don't believe they would ever use them directly anyway.

Whatever they do, they can't do worse than what I, Robot ended up to be.

Dark final season out tomorrow! And friends want to do things and I just really want to stay in and watch Dark. Annoying.

It's the current show that we watch when I visit my folks, and we just finished the first season last night. Excellent show. Brilliantly structured (of course it is, it's German!) and constantly intriguing.

Get new friends. Or just hunker down for the weekend and keep your current ones in the Dark :cool:

This is Us (season 1). I guess it's way too corny by most people's standards, but I think it's sweet and beautiful. ^_^

Back