The Last of Us (Part) 2 [PS4]

Will Sony delay release of The Last Of Us 2 because of CoronaVirus Pandemic?

• Yes.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't be silly.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You can see that ND really jumped on what I can only call reflections-that-act-like-RT-but-aren't.

They employed what so far I have seen FOUR completely different methods just for reflections.

1. They use what looks like a dummy with no actual detail on some surfaces, which works so well in places where where SSRs would completely break down (i.e reflecting the side of your character that is not in screen space). This is used sparingly on small reflective objects and non-mirror like surfaces.
2. And of course employing a completely different method for mirrors (render to texture maybe?) for much clearer reflections.
3. And then on top of that using cube map reflections that are so well placed and stitched together that again you never see the usual warping (the swimming pool and other places).
4. Plus SSRs of course, but in a way that you never seen them break down, because of the other methods used.

All of this just to make sure that their reflections don't break down in a million messy pieces like they usually do, which is what detracts the most in games. Even though these reflections aren't "exact", the look of the game is elevated by the fact that our eyes don't see things break down like SSRs usually do.

You can see that ND are going to jump on that RT reflections as soon as they press the ON button on the PS5 devkit - imagine the amount of work that went in to make these reflections look "not broken", when they could basically just use RT here and there going forward.

I am humbled by their sheer attention to detail.

You can see that ND really jumped on what I can only call reflections-that-act-like-RT-but-aren't.

They employed what so far I have seen FOUR completely different methods just for reflections.

1. They use what looks like a dummy with no actual detail on some surfaces, which works so well in places where where SSRs would completely break down (i.e reflecting the side of your character that is not in screen space). This is used sparingly on small reflective objects and non-mirror like surfaces.
2. And of course employing a completely different method for mirrors (render to texture maybe?) for much clearer reflections.
3. And then on top of that using cube map reflections that are so well placed and stitched together that again you never see the usual warping (the swimming pool and other places).
4. Plus SSRs of course, but in a way that you never seen them break down, because of the other methods used.

All of this just to make sure that their reflections don't break down in a million messy pieces like they usually do, which is what detracts the most in games. Even though these reflections aren't "exact", the look of the game is elevated by the fact that our eyes don't see things break down like SSRs usually do.

You can see that ND are going to jump on that RT reflections as soon as they press the ON button on the PS5 devkit - imagine the amount of work that went in to make these reflections look "not broken", when they could basically just use RT here and there going forward.

I am humbled by their sheer attention to detail.

yeah its crazy good, theres only ONE instance where i noticed the wonky fake reflection. Unfortunately gotta stop playing again, got headache again.

anyone found a way to disable the chromatic aberration? Yes its really subtle in this game compared to Crysis or Destiny 2. But i just cant stand CA. Im comfortable with hex editing the save game to enable debug mode or something and kill the CA.

Oh my god will people stop posting on specific threads just to name drop names and games that have nothing to do with the topic, with the sole purpose of downplaying things that need no downplaying? FFS!

If you can convince ultragpu to stop doing it in other threads, maybe others will follow suit.

Sometimes the game looks straight up like concept art, it's beautiful :)

50024716111_cc9b9070e9_o.png

My ps4 Pro is taking off!
Here we goooooo
Seriously though, this is the first time I hear the fans go that loud!

I'm so glad I changed the thermal paste for this, it's pretty quiet so far! :yep2:

Edit: I just had an encounter that reminded me of the E3 demo in terms of animation

^ Very mild spoilers in this, (I'm still in the first 5-7 hours).

Last edited:
Honestly, I was playing around with that rope/cable for ages. Just couldn’t believe how realistic it looks and feels. If it’s made out of polygons (you never know these days) then that must be a huge amount of geometry thrown into such a small detail. With physics attached to it. Cray cray.

I declare it illegal to play The Last of Us part 2 before Tuesday. :yep2:
Holy hell bananas, the courier delivered on a Saturday. First time ever:D

:D You still can't play it till Tuesday now! :p

j/k Go ahead. :D

Just finished it. Wow! The journey this game takes you on is nothing I have ever experienced in a game. Thank you Naughty Dog.

Throughout the whole game, I only noticed two bugs.

Bug Spoiler ahead
First was with Dina on the horse when her head went wonky and lengthened and she then looked like a ragdoll bouncing around. Second was with Abby where I could see just the character model but everything else disappeared.

Last edited:
Back