Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart [PS5, PC]

• Thread starter Deleted member 7537
  • Start date
Finally the Toy Story graphics the PS2 promised :LOL:
We Zootopia now!
1233814_flex_tablet_zootopia_selfie_c781d089.jpg

ratchet-and-clank-rift-apart-ps5-playstation-5-1.original.jpg

5.5GB/s of streamed in real time PS5 graphics giving Disney CG a run.

Given UE5's stated focus of being able to import movie level assets, I do wonder how soon the industry will trend in that direction.

From an economic perspective, I expect it must make the creation of large, intricate game worlds more appealing if those large, intricate worlds are going to be used in a couple of games, a TV series, and a handful of movies. Moreso if they can be used without the investment of man hours in paring down movie quality assets to real-time.

Isn't Mandalorian already doing basically that? Huge background screen with UE scenes running real time.
Classic in camera effects making a comeback is kind of a blast. No optical compositing though as fascinating as it was back in the day.

We Zootopia now!

Careful now! Such claims will summon that chap who I think used to be in the film VX industry and who was always looking disappointed when people claimed realtime console 3D was approaching that of Toy Story I forget his name, he was often quite exasperated - I can't say I blame him!

But it's getting to the point where most people can't tell the difference. Mind you we were saying this two generations back, and last generation.

Yeah we're really not at Zootopia levels - especially that amazing fur, complexity, animation... But getting closer and closer is still very impressive. Loved that movie by the way.

Isn't Mandalorian already doing basically that? Huge background screen with UE scenes running real time.

Industrial Light&Magic is using what seems to be a 180º projection dome with real-time rasterized renders using Unreal Engine, for open-space backgrounds:

Ewan McGregor actually confirmed that the Obi-Wan series will also be using this, and he talks a bit about the experience here (at around 7m45s):

Careful now! Such claims will summon that chap who I think used to be in the film VX industry and who was always looking disappointed when people claimed realtime console 3D was approaching that of Toy Story I forget his name, he was often quite exasperated - I can't say I blame him!

But it's getting to the point where most people can't tell the difference. Mind you we were saying this two generations back, and last generation.
VFX veteran?

That guy (VFX Veteran) has to be the saltiest of the salt, he once claimed next gen consoles are only around 1080 level and PC version of Horizon ZD would look better than PS5 HFW:LOL:. The kind of vendetta he has against consoles is truly baffling.

asset quality seems pretty close to being there. Lighting and shadows will need to be ramped up to hit movie quality.

The size of the fan could be the reason the console is so big. In my experience bigger fan less noise.

Bigger = more airflow at lower RPM = less noise. You can get much better fans and quieter fans but at the speed they run, the gain is negligible.

VFX veteran?

That's him!!! :yes:What happened to him?

Bigger = more airflow at lower RPM = less noise. You can get much better fans and quieter fans but at the speed they run, the gain is negligible.

That's him!!! :yes:What happened to him?
I think he left on his own free will...

The Cherno reacts to R&C. So much knowledge in such a cute package.

Edit: would have been nicer if he reacted to the gameplay video! Maybe he will at some point.

Last edited:
We Zootopia now!

The game looks good but I mean come on

and this is a 4 year old movie

its not even up Monster's university

that's a 7 year old movie

Still photos hide a lot , the movement and lighting is no where near the same sadly .

But hey even if they are a decade behind Pixar that's a great place to be.

Will be fun to compare Zootopia 2 to the best ps5/xsx games of the time. I think its a 2021 movie but may now be a 2022 movie

I mean I wish i could play an rpg that looked like this

The fog scene alone is insane

The game looks good but I mean come on

and this is a 4 year old movie

its not even up Monster's university

that's a 7 year old movie

Still photos hide a lot , the movement and lighting is no where near the same sadly .

But hey even if they are a decade behind Pixar that's a great place to be.

Will be fun to compare Zootopia 2 to the best ps5/xsx games of the time. I think its a 2021 movie but may now be a 2022 movie

I mean I wish i could play an rpg that looked like this

The fog scene alone is insane
OK, I didn't mean they look the same pixel by pixel of course. But the feel of a high end CG animation is getting close, at least to me. I have Zootopia on 4k UHD disc and the only thing that looks noticeably better is the lighting. The cutscene in R&C really does look close at times.

Back