Fanless 4K laptop (2020)

tuna

Veteran
I would like a fanless laptop with a 4K screen, preferably 15 inches. Does anyone have any recommendation on what to get?

I'ld wait for apples new laptops which is soonish I think, if they do go the ARM route then they will prolly be fanless

New I have a fanless laptop that is 5 years old with a 3K screen.
15"?

The 12.3" 2736 x 1824 Surface Pro 7 with Core i5 and lower is fanless, and AFAIK some 13" 3000 x 2000 Surface Books without dGPU are fanless too (at least SB2, don't know about SB3). The ones with a dGPU in the keyboard only start the fans when you use it for rendering or compute.
I don't know any 15" fanless laptop with a 4K screen. It's a weird set of requirements, at least to me.

15"?

The 12.3" 2736 x 1824 Surface Pro 7 with Core i5 and lower is fanless, and AFAIK some 13" 3000 x 2000 Surface Books without dGPU are fanless too (at least SB2, don't know about SB3). The ones with a dGPU in the keyboard only start the fans when you use it for rendering or compute.
I don't know any 15" fanless laptop with a 4K screen. It's a weird set of requirements, at least to me.

The fan only kicks in on the 15" SB2's when the dGPU is used. If you detach the display and use it as a tablet its obviously entirely passively cooled (fans and dGPU are in the base).

One slight annoyance. Now that MS has moved to using Chromium as the engine for Edge, it uses the dGPU more frequently and the fan kicks in more often and the machine gets warmer. This didn't happen often prior to the move to Chromium. /sigh.

Basically Edge behaves more like the power hungry Chrome now than the power sipping Edge from before.

Regards,
SB

One slight annoyance. Now that MS has moved to using Chromium as the engine for Edge, it uses the dGPU more frequently and the fan kicks in more often and the machine gets warmer.
Current versions of Windows 10 allow you to configure this behavior; you can set Edge / Chrome / whatever to use the iGPU whenever you're on battery, or all the time if you prefer. I've configured my Gigabyte Aero to keep Chrome and the new Edge stuck on the integrated 630 graphics rather than spin up my 1070MQ. I'm not sure I even notice the performance difference, but my ears and my lap and my computing time very much notice the enhancement!

https://pureinfotech.com/set-gpu-app-windows-10/

Current versions of Windows 10 allow you to configure this behavior; you can set Edge / Chrome / whatever to use the iGPU whenever you're on battery, or all the time if you prefer. I've configured my Gigabyte Aero to keep Chrome and the new Edge stuck on the integrated 630 graphics rather than spin up my 1070MQ. I'm not sure I even notice the performance difference, but my ears and my lap and my computing time very much notice the enhancement!

https://pureinfotech.com/set-gpu-app-windows-10/

Fantastic, thanks for that. Will have to modify this behavior as soon as I get a chance.

Regards,
SB

Back