Sony Reveal Event: Future of Gaming on PS5 [2020-06-11]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't see why, nothing graphically intense happening during the portal scenes.
Generating each world in quick snap shot requires a lot of cpu. Load new animations, new actors, new everything. Textures are just one part of the equation. New lighting new shadows a bunch of new things all need to be computed. If you’re based on temporal you don’t have any frames immediately to work off.

It should be pretty heavy on the whole system imo. The SSD is the enabler or having access to so much content, but the system still needs to be render and update.

I can understand the CPU being the bottleneck in that situation but not the GPU needing to draw power from the CPU.

Don't see why, nothing graphically intense happening during the portal scenes.

Aside from the loading of massive worlds intervening at extreme speeds ;) But that most likely stresses the SSD the most.
It's quite the looker in graphical fidelity also, it's atleast a notch above current generation games. What their delivering is next-gen graphics while taking useage of the new IO tech, and some ray tracing added to it. It's quite amazing, in special considering it's an early game, in development.

It should be pretty heavy on the whole system imo. The SSD is the enabler or having access to so much content, but the system still needs to be render and update.

I can understand the CPU being the bottleneck in that situation but not the GPU needing to draw power from the CPU.

Entirely possible eitherway, we don't know. But it's not so significant as show in the trailer, whatever the cause, they will have it ironed out for the final product.

GPU still needs to do a lot of work. I’m not saying there is power changing hands necessarily; just stating that hitching can come from any aspect of the pipeline if you’re doing that much so quickly.

tldr; if you ignore the assets loading aspect requirements, the at some point in time, one needs to recognize that the engine is rendering and updating 2 separate worlds during the transition from one to another.

GPU still needs to do a lot of work. I’m not saying there is power changing hands necessarily; just stating that hitching can come from any aspect of the pipeline if you’re doing that much so quickly.

tldr; if you ignore the assets loading aspect requirements, the at some point in time, one needs to recognize that the engine is rendering and updating 2 separate worlds during the transition from one to another.
But as long as the data is in RAM, then the next 'scene' should be rendered in whatever frame time is needed, correct? The transitions did look like a good second, maybe a bit more.

But as long as the data is in RAM, then the next 'scene' should be rendered in whatever frame time is needed, correct? The transitions did look like a good second, maybe a bit more.
right, forgot about that.
When you're rendering both worlds at the same time, both worlds need to be in ram at the same time, though intelligently, they designed the mid-point hub which is another world but largely a blank canvas, so current to hub, and then hub to next. This should make the task achievable, if they went from world to world with no hub, then you'd be rendering and updating 2 full worlds at the same time.

That being said, with so many memory operations happening at once, I would probably say memory is probably causing the issue. If you've ever tried to create a new object during runtime, that tends to really slow down things or cause hitching. Being able to clear so much memory and bring in so much memory could cause all sorts of issues to the CPU or GPU. So yea, I get it. it's not an easy task to solve.

Still can't get over how crazy Horizon 2's visuals look, I mean in terms of the overall package including lighting, effects, models, density, asset fidelity, iq, on screen actions, this has got to be the most graphically intensive real time game trailer anyone has ever shown right?

https://i.ibb.co/J5fcNrN/Horizon-Forbidden-West-Announcement-Trailer-PS5.gif

* I'm seeing everyone been posting gifs left and right Shifty, so if these are too much I'll take them down asap.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, they're too bloody big! 70 MBs of inlined image. Use the imgur links for streamed video. If people are posting big inline gifs elsewhere (in specific game threads?), I haven't seen it and they should stop! ;)

Just go through the the Console Game threads created in the past week. There may be remnants of them still there.

I think this is why good audio in consoles (PS3, Xbox One, PS5) doesn't garner the attention that the cool tech warrants. I'd like to be proved wrong and will be keeping an eye on the those black/white PlayStation headphones.

Hopefully we will see some use of the Tempest Engine for 3D audio. Here is one developer from Giant Squid talking about the game "The Pathless"

"We built The Pathless with highly spatial 3D audio sources. We split ambient sounds into many small sources all around the environment to really immerse the player in the world. Our game features a number of exotic biomes, and the PS5’s audio technology will make it feel like you’re running, sliding, and shooting through each one of them."

https://blog.playstation.com/2020/06/11/the-pathless-is-coming-to-ps5/?ref-cat=254013

The event was a huge success for them. I think they will have another event by the end of the summer to show the UI, BC, Services, maybe some other unannounced titles (really only Capcom and Bethesda showed up, I'm sure Activision and EA will get some time in a future event as well) and reveal the price. I believe the console will release on November with preorders starting in September.

After a few hiccups, it looks like Sony is going back to what they do best. I was quite impressed by the quality of the reveal, with those CGI intermissions, the cool vibey music. Good for them. The only thing that really needs to die fast is the atrocious live stream quality. Absurd in the 4K age.

They've been doing well on the marketing side of things since the UE5 reveal.

After a few hiccups, it looks like Sony is going back to what they do best. I was quite impressed by the quality of the reveal, with those CGI intermissions, the cool vibey music. Good for them. The only thing that really needs to die fast is the atrocious live stream quality. Absurd in the 4K age.

still need that price. So much is banking on the most important aspect.

Actually. Are we expecting games to stay at £59? Better not go up to £69 :mrgreen: or I'll buy even fewer games at full price than I do now.
Yes because in-game monetisation contributes to ongoing earnings. Maybe some big ticket single player titles will push up the ticket price. ND's next epic might be a bit more expensive .

Still can't get over how crazy Horizon 2's visuals look, I mean in terms of the overall package including lighting, effects, models, density, asset fidelity, iq, on screen actions, this has got to be the most graphically intensive real time game trailer anyone has ever shown right?

https://i.ibb.co/J5fcNrN/Horizon-Forbidden-West-Announcement-Trailer-PS5.gif

* I'm seeing everyone been posting gifs left and right Shifty, so if these are too much I'll take them down asap.

In this day and age you should know better to still use GIFs. Use webm, YouTube or whatever! Anything but GIF!

This was a really good overview of what games come to what platform:

Agreed, only issue was the crappy quality of the stream - that was a really basic miss IMHO. I only just realised that the little ‘bubbles’ the DS4 emerges from was actually mini symbols. Lol

Agreed, only issue was the crappy quality of the stream - that was a really basic miss IMHO. I only just realised that the little ‘bubbles’ the DS4 emerges from was actually mini symbols. Lol
What I just realised after rewatching the reveal is that the PS5 is going to be very expensive, it's made out of caviar.

The event was a huge success for them. I think they will have another event by the end of the summer to show the UI, BC, Services,

I am glad to have recently read that Sony have revamped the PS5's UI. The PS4 UI was pretty clean and snappy when it was new but it become bloated with added features and slow once you had dozens and dozens of games and apps. There was a cue to PS5's UI in last week's event and what little was shown looked elegant. The SSD should help the whole UI be very snappy, with different applications/sections loading instantaneously.

I wasn't a fan of the weird CGI intermissions, I feel like I'm the only one.

I still like that folks think the UE5 event was a good win for Sony even though they completely ignored it, not mentioning at all in any of the social media channels. Good job, Epic Sony. Epic had to be wondering how Sony was getting all their PR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back