Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't watch the whole video, I'd seen enough after about ten minutes. Wow, the utter lack of model details low textures and those über slow LOD pop-in for the sign. Holy crap balls. I don't think it's necessarily I/O related, as in the hardware, as DF had the exact same performance across four NSW units on both internal and external memory and you almost always get a difference internal storage and card.

It's UE4 so maybe it's that issue with UE that you and BRiT were discussing in t'other thread?

I still can't get out how bad it looks. Just.. :no:
yea I suppose it could also be available memory which might explain the reason why everything is so blurry. I don't know the indepth of how unreal works yet, I haven't run a profiler on it or made anything in it significant enough to make me check why it's running so slowly.

Amazing. I had originally ignored this as I figured it was going to be a low effort cash in due to EA's involvement even if some of the original devs at Petroglyph were in charge of the remaster. I'm glad to be surprised that it was a grade A remaster, however. Onto the buy list it goes.

I hope my favorite game in the series, C&C Zero Hour, gets the remaster treatment at some point.

Speaking of EA published RTS IPs that I'd love to see re-released... LOTR: The Battle for Middle-earth 1 & 2. While not considered among the best RTS games, I have a warm fondness in my heart for those games due to them being set in Tolkien's Middle Earth. Unfortunately since EA no longer has rights to Tolkien's Middle Earth IP WRT games, it's unlikely the games will ever get re-released. /sigh.

Regards,
SB

Amazing. I had originally ignored this as I figured it was going to be a low effort cash in due to EA's involvement even if some of the original devs at Petroglyph were in charge of the remaster. I'm glad to be surprised that it was a grade A remaster, however. Onto the buy list it goes.

I hope my favorite game in the series, C&C Zero Hour, gets the remaster treatment at some point.

Speaking of EA published RTS IPs that I'd love to see re-released... LOTR: The Battle for Middle-earth 1 & 2. While not considered among the best RTS games, I have a warm fondness in my heart for those games due to them being set in Tolkien's Middle Earth. Unfortunately since EA no longer has rights to Tolkien's Middle Earth IP WRT games, it's unlikely the games will ever get re-released. /sigh.

Regards,
SB
Yup, it would be lovely.

Wouldn't mind remade of C&C: renegade either.

Last edited by a moderator:
How would they know just by looking? Temporal techniques will have moved on again. Except for at Polyphony.
We don’t. All pipelines nearly use temporal now. Can’t get away from it if you tried. May as well just present the constructed value. Very difficult to find a pipeline without it now. We use temporal for a great deal of many rendering methods now.

Last edited:
How would they know just by looking? Temporal techniques will have moved on again. Except for at Polyphony.

They can use all the tricky Stuff from last Gennerations plus new Tricks

-Checkerboarding and the better Version Temporal injection with less Artifacts
-Dynamic Resolution
-DCC ( wich its on Navi RDNA2 much better than on GCN GPUs)
-deffered Rendering, foward Rendering
-diverse LOD technics
-VRS( if Ps5 has it)
-Geometry Culling
-Performance Modus , running Games at 1080p or switching RT off
-software based Screen Tiling

So enough Tricks to reach 60 FPs if the CPU is not the limiting Factor.

Last edited:
Ratchet and Horizon seems 4k antive from people seing the full video

https://www.resetera.com/threads/df...reveal-analysis-reaction.225889/post-36783211

https://www.resetera.com/threads/df...reveal-analysis-reaction.225889/post-36780172

Sackboy dynamic res 2688 x. 1512 60 fps
Returnal is 4k 30 as well
Kena native 4k
Destruction All Stars 4k
Ratchet has elements of RT and is 4k 30
Stray 4k with raytracing
Horizon 2 4k 30 fps
Godfall 4k 60 fps
What an odd thing to say. 99% of next-gen games will have only 'elements' of RT.

I think it's definitely a good sign that nextgen is easily reaching native 4k with the level of graphics they're already pushing out. It only means devs can easily raise the visual quality throughout the years buy gradually down res to maybe 1600p and then CBR to 4k. And by that time we should have the mid gen upgrade right around the corner and cleaning up the IQ again if need to, or just focus on pushing more raytracing effects.

Let's hope they continue to use Checkerboard next gen as it's so close to 4K that native is a waste of ressource on consoles.

In movement it has Interlacing artifacts which does not look better than a native resolution like 1620p. Using native resolution, temporal upsampling or DLSS2.0 is much better in my opinion.

What an odd thing to say. 99% of next-gen games will have only 'elements' of RT.

So far it does not use fullscene raytracing effects but only for some objects.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back