Accurate Human Rendering in Game [2019-2021]

I assumed it was a “target render”. But I don’t see how this couldn’t be done in real-time, considering what we’ve seen UE5 and the PS5 do.

looking back at the PS4 demo the dark sorcerer, i think HB2 is definitely possible in real time, that the kind of jump we can expect, at least in realtime cutscenes.

Maybe that trailer was not, because it was a montage of different sequences.

If they need to pre-rendered a scene that is only focusing on a face, then MS may have serious issues claiming power superiority. That scene is so simple, there is nothing behind it, they just need to render a head.

Obviously games are much more complex than that (horizon 2 as an example), you need to render other parts of the body, enemies, npcs, the environment, etc. My guess is that when the actual gameplay is shown, the quality of that model is going to drop significantly. Probably that's why they didn't show much gameplay at their reveal event.

Last edited by a moderator:
My guess is that when the actual gameplay is shown, the quality of that model is going to drop significantly.
Honestly, I don't think we'll notice that much. We've got to a point where little downgrades or differences between cutscenes/gameplay are becoming less and less apparent.

One of the things that really impresses me with the HB2 teaser are mouth movement and shading. On the PS5 showcase it was something I was looking for and was a bit disappointed. Some very nice eyes though. Aloy's were great.

Honestly, I don't think we'll notice that much. We've got to a point where little downgrades or differences between cutscenes/gameplay are becoming less and less apparent.

Yes but again, you can't have all cutscenes and gameplay focusing on one part of the body. When you increase the complexity of the scene, if the game is already struggling to reach 30fps, you are going to have to drop the quality of the models.

If they need to pre-rendered a scene that is only focusing on a face, then MS may have serious issues claiming power superiority. That scene is so simple, there is nothing behind it, they just need to render a head.

We don't know if it was prerendered. And there seem to be a lot of characters behind Senua, it's just blurred by strong DoF.

One of the things that really impresses me with the HB2 teaser are mouth movement and shading. On the PS5 showcase it was something I was looking for and was a bit disappointed. Some very nice eyes though. Aloy's were great.
The thing about HB2 (and HB before it) was that a huge amount of effort and resources went into capturing the performance of the actress - remember that live demo that they did, where they had the actress act something and it was being rendered in real time on stage?
It's less a 'power' thing and much more of a 'let's push the envelope on facial motion capture' on the developers' side.
And HB was a relatively tiny game by a tiny team. Imagine what MS's deep pockets can do to a project like this.

If that's the trailer being talked about, i don't think we will see any game going to look like this. Maybe at the end of the generation, it looks beyond anything else being shown so far. I guess it's a pre-render, not actual ingame gameplay footage.

Last edited:
I wonder if the face is just bones and skinning, or if there are morph shapes too, or something else?
The mouth really works well. Would like to see a wide smile. Bones have a hard time to capture this, usually.
Edit: meant Hellblade. The video above shows the bone limitations because cheek folds are static.Still very nice, but things like that keep it uncanny as well.

If that's the trailer being talked about, i don't think we will see any game going to look like this. Maybe at the end of the generation, it looks beyond anything else being shown so far. I guess it's a pre-render, not actual ingame gameplay footage.

"In-engine"...whatever that means.

Pretty crazy it's able to hit Halo Infinite's in engine model quality albiet at 1440/30 vs 4k/60? Still a monumental achievement on current gen hardware.
image_halo_infinite-40538-4092_0002.jpg

Back