PS5 == Unreal Engine ;)

I see SackBoy on that list and adjusted my expectation.

Perhaps there is no user generated content in this game.
It’s a straight MP platformer (?).

The upcoming multiplatform OddWorld may be what they're (Unity) hoping for as a showcase.

Underworld Ascendant was a bit of a let down, but I remember a dev talking about choosing Unity over UE as their physics/scripting/systemic stuff could run much faster. Don't know if that's a specific or general case from a few years back, but would fit with the significant amount of physics going on in Oddworld.

I see SackBoy on that list and adjusted my expectation.

Perhaps there is no user generated content in this game.
It’s a straight MP platformer (?).
That's what I thought it was. Don't see any reason to think otherwise - it's 'SackBoy' and not 'LittleBigPlanet'.

Most those games are AA indie games who were going to use Unreal anyways. I wouldn't read to much into it, now if Guerrilla or Spiderman used unreal that would be something.

That's what I thought it was. Don't see any reason to think otherwise - it's 'SackBoy' and not 'LittleBigPlanet'.
I admit that I felt disappointed at the fact that MM didn't surprise us with a next-gen Dreams-on-steroids engine, to release a better version of Dreams and even LBP 4.

Actually, UE4/5 seems to be the engine of choice for many Xbox studios (Obsidian, Coalition, Ninja Theory, Rare, etc).
Perhaps owing to the nature of the studios when they were acquired for the majority there. ;)

Perhaps owing to the nature of the studios when they were acquired for the majority there. ;)

Nope, Rare and inxile (?) are using UE4/5 for their next titles too. The only studios still developing in-house solutions are Turn10( for obvious reasons) and 343i. All the others are mostly on unreal engine.

I think the only XGS studios not using Unreal are 343i and Turn10/PG Horizon studio. All the others are on UE. As for this thread, I think UE will propagate a lot more this upcoming gen as evident by the titles in the OP. Sony's own studio mostly have their in-house engines. To my knowledge, the only Sony studio that uses UE is the one that made Days Gone and they did a fantastic of it.

Nope, Rare and inxile (?) are using UE4/5 for their next titles too. The only studios still developing in-house solutions are Turn10( for obvious reasons) and 343i. All the others are mostly on unreal engine.
hm? that's what I mean. Most are using UE, and most happened to be medium sized 3rd-party when they were acquired. Rare (and Lionhead) were the only in-house studios that switched to using UE. Even Coalition was on UE just prior to acquisition (as Black Tusk).

hm? that's what I mean. Most are using UE, and most happened to be medium sized 3rd-party when they were acquired. Rare (and Lionhead) were the only in-house studios that switched to using UE. Even Coalition was on UE just prior to acquisition (as Black Tusk).

None of them are going back any time soon.

It's worth noting just how many of the games in the PS5 reveal are running on UE(4).
  • Little Devil Inside
  • Kena: Bridge of Spirits
  • Ghostwire: Tokyo
  • Godfall
  • Returnal
  • Sackboy A Big Adventure
  • Stray
  • Solar Ash
  • The Pathless
This also sets the first party titles, like Sackboy ABA, up nicely for PC ports...

List-wars :runaway: (not that you're talking about Sony in-house anyways)

Xbox Game Studios

Current
  • Double Fine - Psychonauts 2
  • Ninja Theory - Hellblade 2 & Project Mara
  • Obsidian Entertainment - Grounded
  • Playground Games - next-game using UE4 (job listing)
  • Rare - Everwild (TBA)
Known to use UE on last title
  • Coalition - duh!
  • Compulsion Games - Contrast/We Happy Few
  • Mojang - Minecraft Dungeons
  • InXile Entertainment - Bard's Tale 4 (Wasteland 3 uses Unity, however)
  • Undead Labs - State of Decay
Kinda nutty.

Just use delegates to get your fix of function pointers. :LOL:

I'm trying to use delegates for a message system. I feel dirty, and also nervous.

Unity is changing towards DOTS. I'm very tempted to look at that for my next project although I don't really need it, just because I find I think more data-oriented than object-oriented. Between DOTS and the new render stacks, it may start making roads into AA+ games. I think it's currently viewed as the mobile-cross-platform engine though and they need a couple of a big showcases to prove it.

I watched a presentation about that! Then I realised that "Cube Dodge 2: Rotate-O-Cube" might not yet require that level of performance....

Eh I chose unreal. It seems more robust for small devs trying to get into 3D work.

I feel your decision may not be incorrect ... :-|

I'm trying to use delegates for a message system. I feel dirty, and also nervous.

I watched a presentation about that! Then I realised that "Cube Dodge 2: Rotate-O-Cube" might not yet require that level of performance....

I feel your decision may not be incorrect ... :-|
I didn’t Find Unity any easier. But the market place in UE is pretty solid. I haven’t checked unity in a while. I don't necessarily have a preference though, I suppose, there's a little more in UE4 that I can leverage, that I fear I might have to build in Unity. But i could be entirely wrong.

Last edited:
It's also very, very proven. If you want to create an AA+ game, there are so many successful UE games out there, it's basically a given you can use it to do what you want. Unity has struggled to prove itself for larger games, and the other options are far less well known. How much time do you want to spend researching engines before settling down to create your game?

For small devs, ue is also amazing for prototyping, making the full game, and optimization.

For example LOD generation. You can just plop your LOD0 in, and let unreal make the other LODs. On younity you'll need to manually make and add your own LOD.

There's also tons of add-ons, mods, assets, script, fork, etc that you can use, modify, etc to fit your needs.

If the UX is too archaic, there's also a revamped UE with better UX and easy to use tools (like LODs in one click instead of hunting down sub menus)

I'd sort of speculated that it may get hard for developers to compete with UE and Unity in the long run. Frostbite seemed to struggle last gen, even internally at EA. We'll see where they go next gen, or if Respawn and other internal studios will continue with UE. There are still a lot of good bespoke engines at Insomniac, Naughty Dog, Guerrilla, Turn10, Activision, Ubisoft, and I don't expect to see that change soon.

List-wars :runaway: (not that you're talking about Sony in-house anyways)

Xbox Game Studios

Current
Known to use UE on last title

• InXile Entertainment - Bard's Tale 4 (Wasteland 3 uses Unity, however)
Saw this on Era:
From InXile career page( https://www.inxile-entertainment.com/career/ ) listing for "Lead/Senior Tools Programmer":

"Responsibilities
  • Help design and build out a brand new next-generation asset pipeline for use with Unreal Engine 5."

Back