Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart [PS5, PC]

• Thread starter Deleted member 7537
  • Start date
It looks beautiful! The current one on PS4 pro also looks great. The way they light everything are awesome.

Btw the world switching, hopefully it won't be just a gimmick for cutscene or set pieces. Those kind of things can be made using cheats. For example: the various worlds actually are already in the. Current level but hidden from view (maybe it's 1km above map, etc) or just tiny block of level or low quality level.

But if it's truly playable expansive environment or maybe for gameplay mechanic experience. It'll be awesome.

You already can experience a glimpse of that in destiny 1 or 2 where you jump into a portal that take you to whole new area (but actually it was in the same map but hidden from view), and in titanfall 2 campaign where you can switch back and forth between 2 levels/reality.

I'm not saying it's the case here, but don't forget that constant instant-switching between environments could be very jarring and may overwhelm the player. I expect there will be cases (as Cerny alluded to in his talk) where you have to introduce a longer transition to smooth it all out.

The opposite may be true too, you can introduce transitions that are very intense visually and aurally to hype up the player and make them feel superhuman, or to purposefully disorientate them a little.

Just because you can do something doesn't mean you always have to do it to the maximum degree. What's important is that the limits here are so much higher, the canvas is greater and devs will be able to choose the appropriate transitions that take into account pacing of the gameplay/presentation, as well as player comfort; rather than having them dictated so heavily by technical limitations.

If it's taking 2-3 seconds to transition between scenes now, I expect optimisation of streaming systems for the new platform and I/O to get that considerably lower in future titles; should it be required..

I'm not saying it's the case here, but don't forget that constant instant-switching between environments could be very jarring and may overwhelm the player. I expect there will be cases (as Cerny alluded to in his talk) where you have to introduce a longer transition to smooth it all out.

The opposite may be true too, you can introduce transitions that are very intense visually and aurally to hype up the player and make them feel superhuman, or to purposefully disorientate them a little.

Just because you can do something doesn't mean you always have to do it to the maximum degree. What's important is that the limits here are so much higher, the canvas is greater and devs will be able to choose the appropriate transitions that take into account pacing of the gameplay/presentation, as well as player comfort; rather than having them dictated so heavily by technical limitations.

If it's taking 2-3 seconds to transition between scenes now, I expect optimisation of streaming systems for the new platform and I/O to get that considerably lower in future titles; should it be required..
Maybe you can choose which universe you want to go in that transition space.

From PS2 to PS5
EaZDv-MXQAYc8a6

EaZDv-LXsAEmkPf

EaZDv-IWsAI6iEr

EaZDv-OXQAA_cnr

Well, the first two shots aren't *actually* PS2/PS3 'captured' shots, though ;) Especially that second one which looks like art and nothing to do with the game. The first one, those characters are definitely not PS2 models.

Well, the first two shots aren't *actually* PS2/PS3 'captured' shots, though ;) Especially that second one which looks like art and nothing to do with the game. The first one, those characters are definitely not PS2 models.

Oh right forgot to say wanted to compare the character model in term of design. wouldn't get anything from PS2 shots lol.
I did notice some pop-in shadows in the trailer in the latest gameplay segment.
I know that there were on-rail sequences probably with the dimensional portal rifts but I do wonder if you could choose or not to go through them. Would be complicated in term of game design I suppose for objective purpose in a specific level.
But would be amazing say if for exemple you could jump at will from a world to another to clean a specific mission. as hitned by Cerny talk about allowing the player to choose what they want to achieve in the game without following a predetermined path. But Maybe it would cause a problem story wise for a linear storytelling game.

So yeah, we're at the level where we can play near-CGI looking games. Awesome times ahead.

ALmost forgot there was a CG movie based on the game released back in 2015. Haven't watched it yet.
Guess yeah it's time :D according to DF there's a chance it exceeds the CGI movie.
Indeed, there's a good argument that what we're seeing here is significantly beyond the fidelity of the Ratchet and Clank CG movie - it's a breathtaking example of art, technology and imagination coming together to produce something that looks simply fantastic.
CG movie released 2016
KOzXil0.png

PS5
49996301136_35dd0b145b_4k.jpg

Last edited:
You obviously don't remember just how good PS2 was...
People were just relieved polygons didn't warp like the original PlayStation. :yes: I played the first three Ratchet & Clank so much on PS2, they were some of the first games I ever encountered that hard achievements for doing different things and there were a lot of them. I think trying to hit all of those put me off pursuing achievements later on.

Btw the world switching, hopefully it won't be just a gimmick for cutscene or set pieces. Those kind of things can be made using cheats. For example: the various worlds actually are already in the. Current level but hidden from view (maybe it's 1km above map, etc) or just tiny block of level or low quality level.

But if it's truly playable expansive environment or maybe for gameplay mechanic experience. It'll be awesome.

Yeah, I'm curious about that too. If I can pull out some sort of portal gun and jump between any two points in any level, I'll be a lot more engaged in the mechanic then I will be if it's just for scripted moments.

Still, it proves that it can be done, which is the most important thing, really. Whether it's in this title or something else in the coming generation, I want to be taking cover in a firefight, and notice a sniper on a tower, straight ahead. To get to the tower, I would have to leave my cover, and traverse a large stretch of open land. Perfect sniper fodder.

So, still in cover, I open up a portal straight ahead. I leap over the cover, into the portal, and I'm now stood, peacefully, in "the realm in between." Wherever it is, vertically, that you enter this realm, the point becomes your ground level. You can run around it, jump, glide etc. but there's nothing to climb. If you want the floor to get higher, you'll have to re-enter from a greater height from within a level.

I look at where the tower was, and ready my portal gun again. While I'm stood, aiming my portal gun, I can flick through available levels, which will keep surroundings largely the same (I'm still in "the realm in between") but overlay a wire mesh.

I see that one of the levels contains a hill higher than the first level's tower. So I get to a place in "the realm in between" that I can open up a portal into this new level e.g. somewhere that I'm not stood inside of a solid object. In this new level, I get back to the high hill I scoped out earlier and, from the summit, I open up a portal into "the realm in between."

In "the realm in between" I reach the spot where I'm directly above the first level's tower. I open up a portal to the first level, and unleash all kinds of hell on the head of that sniper.

Stuff like that. I'm excited to see what Control 2 will do, given its interdimensional trippy underpinnings.

Everything so far looked like PS4Pro+++ to me. I would say the gap between PS3/PS4 was more obvious.

But it's fine, the game looks really good.

Back