Sony Reveal Event: Future of Gaming on PS5 [2020-06-11]

Status
Not open for further replies.
It did feel like a big "look at what the SSD can do!" moment, added on as a gameplay feature, and not the other way around. If that makes sense?
DISCLAIMER: This statement makes sense in my head.

Yes, it smelt of being influenced by marketing to override any game producer or focus group input as to actual enjoyable gameplay. At the same time I can't help but think if they wanted to do that on PS4 they would find a way. Developers are clever and come up with amazing solutions.

Yes, it smelt of being influenced by marketing to override any game producer or focus group input as to actual enjoyable gameplay. At the same time I can't help but think if they wanted to do that on PS4 they would find a way. Developers are clever and come up with amazing solutions.
Still. I played R&C on PS4 till my fingers bled so it can't be that bad! Can it?

How do you mean? I don't suppose you could link me to a video example? I'm unfamiliar with both of the examples you used.

It's any game play segment where you are forced to progress at their own determined pace and failure to do so causes game death. You can't move at your own pace.

Halo 3 Great Escape, around the 30 second mark

Halo 4 Ghost Escape, starts at 1:30 or so

Gears 4 Bikes, starts at 1 minute mark but gets worse going through forest

When I suggested that earlier, it was in jest. I think it very unlikely any corporate exec was responsible for the game design. I think it's a case of Insomniac wanting to try out what the SSD enabled, and when they realised they could jump nigh-instantly between worlds, had this idea of fractured dimensions allowing them to explore alternate realities and replacing Ratchet with Girl Ratchet. Struck me as a short intro moment and not the game proper at all, which is gonna be Ratchet and Clank with Even More Stuff.

Honestly, that part of the gameplay made me cringe. I hate the moving so fast while trying to escape gameplay cliche.

I always go slower when trying to escape. "I'm just gonna hit the breaks and he'll fly right by." :yes:

A bit of internet enabled history - it really is an incredible tool to ground our understanding as our past is there for us to look up...

PS4 trailer...

37M views, 225k likes, 9.7k dislikes

Games look kinda ropey there. Real games were far better than these launch titles in the main.

Contrast with PS5, 11M views so far, 453K likes, 41k dislikes. far higher like ratio, and far higher dislike ratio. But mostly, think how much better the games will be than these launch trailers. ;)

Although it really would have been nice to see something notably next-gen, like terrain deformation.

Last edited:
I watched the 1080P youtube 2h show footage in the morning on my PC and thought many games looked pretty good. Now having watched individual trailers in 4k HDR through my TV's app, I have to say that quite a few of those trailers were quite outstanding visually. I like the look of the system, although the "tumor" looks a bit weird almost to the point I'm feeling Sony is trying to guide people buying that sweet margin bringing digital version. I'll have the drive version for sure though. Maybe I'll wait until PS5 to start GTA 5 now haha. Never played it...

Although it really would have been nice to see something visually next-gen, like terrain deformation.
The most nextgen-ish feature is SSD and reduced loading times and it's kind of weird that Sony didn't make more of a big deal out of this. I wonder if they're holding back on this aspect so they can trump it up when the inevitable difficult-to-swallow price is revealed. "BTW, no loading times" will make the price more palatable.

Also those Ultra settings games are nothing more than some 4k textures and higher res shadows etc. The kind of effects, geometry density and actions displayed in Horizon are well beyond those. Nothing in RDR2 or any of the Ubi/ EA games remotely approach this.

Personally I'd disagree with this, from what was shown I actually prefer the look of RDR2 which for me might be the best looking game this generation. Note that's only my opinion, and I'm really not interested in a screenshot war or comparing this leaf and that branch but I don't personally believe that your statement of 'fact' above is warranted.

On a plus note, I was very impressed with Ratchet and Clank. That really did look next gen to me.

Actually the next gen I really wanted to experience was audio. Gameplay of an FPS where it sounded like I was there, listening to footsteps running down a corridor towards me and know to brace myself. The audio was a bit spatial and open, but not 'present' in what I have experienced thus far.

I know you're an audio guy. Decades of concerts and gigs have destroyed my hearing. The SSD changes will benefit everybody but I do think that the audio advancements will be far less impactful for the majority. Lots of people play games with crappy TV audio, crappy headphone audio, just in environments where the ambient noise is distracting or even with the audio turned right down so they can listen to music or chat to friends.

I think this is why good audio in consoles (PS3, Xbox One, PS5) doesn't garner the attention that the cool tech warrants. I'd like to be proved wrong and will be keeping an eye on the those black/white PlayStation headphones.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, there were RT reflections in several trailers.

Especially that GT7 trailer, someone had been busy polishing the chrome!

I personally had a hard time figuring out when i was watching CGI/Precalc stuff vs real time gameplay. Most of the HZDW stuff simply looked to good to be true.

Other takeaways, the size, that makes me think it is going to cost more than i hoped for. IMHO the Digital Version is proof of this since this means they think they need to launch with a cheaper option.
I would not be surprised if they decide to take loss on the Digital Version, apart from saving the money for the UHD (how much is such a drive?).

Other takeaways, the size, that makes me think it is going to cost more than i hoped for. IMHO the Digital Version is proof of this since this means they think they need to launch with a cheaper option.
I would not be surprised if they decide to take loss on the Digital Version, apart from saving the money for the UHD (how much is such a drive?).

Total savings is estimated around $30 with no optical disc drive. It no longer commands the premium it once did. In August 2016 with the One S UHD it was said maybe a $15 over normal BluRay but prices have dropped since then.

Also, as been stated before, the All Digital edition may cost more than the base PS5 ODD, it all depends on the internal storage configuration -- 1.65 TB vs 825 GB.

Actually the next gen I really wanted to experience was audio. Gameplay of an FPS where it sounded like I was there, listening to footsteps running down a corridor towards me and know to brace myself. The audio was a bit spatial and open, but not 'present' in what I have experienced thus far.
what did you think of the UE5 demo where they talk about audio over the caves? It sounded pretty good to me.

Does youtube support HDR? How do we know if we're seeing HDR content on youtube?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back