Sony Reveal Event: Future of Gaming on PS5 [2020-06-11]

Status
Not open for further replies.
All the 4K feeds were terrible after reviewing on my 4K TV. They look great on a 1080p monitor though, but yea, on 4K tv they don't look good at all.

All of them except the intro of sack boy, came across as well below 4K native. I don't know what to blame, whether it's compression artifacts or what not. I'm reserving judgement (on the resolution), but I checked my connection and a couple other 4K native videos on youtube and didn't suffer that issue. Games look great though, I'm not dissing the games. But I would respectfully disagree with the statement that they are all so far above everything else graphically. Some games in native 4K with the textures and ultra level settings are pretty out there and is still a very high bar.

and Dirt 5 is for this gen.

edit: wait I take it back. It would appear my X1X was incapable of showing these videos at 4K. ? But my PC can. Really fucking weird. Always use a PC for a real check! Not sure if this is an HDR issue or what not. Working to figure it out.

Never judge a game's resolution based on YT's feed be it 4k or whatever, every channel has different level of compression, IGN's vids are the worst offenders, their 1080p feed looks like 720p from Gamespot's lol.
Also those Ultra settings games are nothing more than some 4k textures and higher res shadows etc. The kind of effects, geometry density and actions displayed in Horizon are well beyond those. Nothing in RDR2 or any of the Ubi/ EA games remotely approach this.
https://66.media.tumblr.com/cb878d4...5b50781a65c217b6ade7f9394803e1ee5b844131.gifv
https://u.cubeupload.com/nib95/videoplayback14.gif

Never judge a game's resolution based on YT's feed be it 4k or whatever, every channel has different level of compression, IGN's vids are the worst offenders, their 1080p feed looks like 720p from Gamespot's lol.
Also those Ultra settings games are nothing more than some 4k textures and higher res shadows etc. The kind of effects, geometry density and actions displayed in Horizon are well beyond those. Nothing in RDR2 or any of the Ubi/ EA games remotely approach this.
https://66.media.tumblr.com/cb878d4...5b50781a65c217b6ade7f9394803e1ee5b844131.gifv
https://u.cubeupload.com/nib95/videoplayback14.gif
That's one game man lol. You're funny. The showcases have just begun and you haven't seen a single thing yet from a AAA publisher.

And the issue was with the playback. Not the youtube source.
edit: and I solved it. Youtube Playback on X1X never goes to 4K unless you specifically force it to. Automode has 720p selected and it refuses to go up.

Last edited:
Doesn't it usually take a while for a truly 'next-gen' game to appear in most (recent) generations?.

When Xbox 360 launched, lost odyssey, ac6, etc were Amazon looking and a leap over previous Gen. When PS4 released....

Uh.. What was the game again... Driveclub looks awesome but it was delayed and no longer a launch title. I can't remember

When Xbox 360 launched, lost odyssey, ac6, etc were Amazon looking and a leap over previous Gen. When PS4 released....

Uh.. What was the game again... Driveclub looks awesome but it was delayed and no longer a launch title. I can't remember

There was Killzone Shadow Fall which looks above other title after we have seen much better later. I think HFW(Horizon 2 ) will be like this a great looking launch title but after we will see better.

The reveal already has over 10M views in less than 24H and a 90% like rate. Sony just needs to have the right price to take over the console gen. The excitement is there compared to other competitors, the XBSX reveal only has 1M views and has been up for weeks.

Nobody fussed about the Ratchet and Clank trailer?

That was the clearest use of the full SSD speed when transitioning (or teleporting) between environments. That was one of the most impressive trailers for me.

Granted it's not constant 100% SSD usage, but it's a very solid show for the device.

Anybody saying that these trailers are not a generational leap obviously have an agenda.

The trailers are incredible.

Last edited by a moderator:
I mentioned it as clearly a request for something to show-off the SSD. I think the mix with cutscenes hides the fact this is happening in real time. The fracture is the load time for all the assets of the next scene, which is quite frankly amazing!

I can't see anything wrong with that trailer. Even the gameplay elements have a pre-rendered look to them. I'm absolutely blown away by it.

If I was to be really picky, it's not 60hz, but does R&C need to be?

I mentioned it as clearly a request for something to show-off the SSD.

I'm less cynical. I don't think Sony need to request their first parties hammer the SSD, I think plenty of Sony first parties have looked at the PS5's SSD and genuinely begun that conversation about what they can do now that they never could before and it's just gone from there.

Most of the dev enthusiasm that I've seen for nextgen has been about the SSDs. I don't think any need their arm-twisting to consider the possibilities now open.

It's also a game seen for multiple generations, so it's gonna struggle with wow factor, I think. Same with Sack Boy adventures - looked so generic. If the visuals had been next gen, like the PICA PICA RTRT demo, it'd have had some bite. As it was, it's just a current-gen (almost certainly cross-gen title) trailer for a 3D platformer. Should have made it in Dreams!

Personally, I was on the look out for something new. Everything looked done before that I saw. I loved the CGI quality of Kena but it didn't follow into gameplay. Ghostwire : Tokyo looked like a great visual concept. Little Devil was striking. But the looks and styles were largely things we'd seen with the PS4 reveal, just in 4K and somewhat more 'stuff' to them.

It'd have been nice to see something truly next-gen, like a very destructible physics game, or a truly next-gen visual leap as opposed to next-gen step.

Although I'm wondering if we didn't see that in the subtle hints of the PS5 interface? We were given visuals and possibly sounds from the platform. I wonder if some of those black screens and pauses were actually real load times? eg. The black seconds before the Taxi scene, whatever game that was. That was longer than I'd have thought for an editorial insert, and the taxi had pop-in so the data was clearly freshly loading. Was that actually a 'resume' from the system?

Was the stream flicking to black screen every so often for anyone else? Like someone was pulling the HDMI cable out and back in? I had to check my TV a few times, it was so strange. Then realised that I was playing it on the TV app so couldn't have been the HDMI.

I've been watching some reactions from giant bomb, easy allies and other youtubers and the predominant opinion is that it was a very good show overall. Maybe missing some big franchises like COD, Battlefield or Fortnite but a great show. Youtube like ratio seems to confirm this view.

Nobody fussed about the Ratchet and Clank trailer?

That was the clearest use of the full SSD speed when transitioning (or teleporting) between environments. That was one of the most impressive trailers for me.

Honestly, that part of the gameplay made me cringe. I hate the moving so fast while trying to escape gameplay cliche. I hate it. Always. I hate it in Halo on Ghosts. I hate it in Gears on Bikes. So that was a big time negative for me. As a game play mechanic it's absolutely horrible.

Honestly, that part of the gameplay made me cringe. I hate the moving so fast while trying to escape gameplay cliche. I hate it. Always. I hate it in Halo on Ghosts. I hate it in Gears on Bikes. So that was a big time negative for me. As a game play mechanic it's absolutely horrible.
It did feel like a big "look at what the SSD can do!" moment, added on as a gameplay feature, and not the other way around. If that makes sense?
DISCLAIMER: This statement makes sense in my head.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back