Best 4K HDR TV's for One X, PS4 Pro [2017-2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I loved the HDR on The Morning Show and some beautiful sun effects in Red Dead Redemption 2 ... in general I’m really pleased by Apple TV’s quality 4k/HDR ...

Sometimes the effect is more subtle, like just the absence of not having the ugly artifacts in low lit scenes and then one or two lamps that really stand out. This effect should be even better on OLED.

The actual max brightness on something like the Samsung QLED is much higher though so I suppose the effect sometimes really stands out more there. More so when you are watching during the daytime.
Yes I have to say that my OLED is not the best watching during the day time. It is certainly much more pleasing during the night.
I switch between HDR and SDR in PS4's Spider Man (just checked the intro havent really played it) and the difference isnt strongly pronounced, top the point that I wonder if it is either a placebo or a deliberate reduction in saturation in SDR to make the HDR seem more convincing.
My non HDR TV when set to its' highest saturation pops the colors so much that it makes me wonder if the difference between HDR TVs and non HDR TVs is really that big

if you looked at a gradient on lagom or something you would see that cranking the saturation is just decreasing the dynamic range, and it would have horrible banding and likely the top 10 or so shades in each primary would be crushed.

Got my B9 yesterday.
Great picture quality. Love it. It is a bit dark though even after calibration, but those blacks are the best blacks I ve ever seen. Colors are great
I do feel though that there is something fishy about the HDR in general though. Not just this set. :p
tv salesperson / showroom in my city keeps botching up OLED presentation. they put them right after a huge wall of glass and glass door entrance. they are face 2 face with samsung qled. so obviosly oled looks way worse than qled due to sunlight

tv salesperson / showroom in my city keeps botching up OLED presentation. they put them right after a huge wall of glass and glass door entrance. they are face 2 face with samsung qled. so obviosly oled looks way worse than qled due to sunlight

Just hook up a console, enable game mode and HDR. The QLED simply falls apart in a blurry mess. HDTVTest found just that.

Last edited:
Just hook up a console, enable game mode and HDR. The QLED simply falls apart in a blurry mess. HDTVTest found just that.

That's a bit hyperbolic and extrapolated from a single test of a single TV model. It certainly isn't a message they always mention with LCD TV reviews...

The worst example on that video is with the camera focusing on low light detail, it does not look that bad in person. Also blurry mess? The minor change they see in the UFO test wasn't visible to them in real gaming scenarios. Other than that, there are plenty of LCD TVs that don't have these kinds of picture quality penalties in game mode, like the better Sony TVs and apparently other Samsung QLED models.

There are rumors this week that Apple will release an iPad next year using mini LED display.

Though I think TCL already sells mini LED display? Or one of the Chinese brands?

That's a bit hyperbolic and extrapolated from a single test of a single TV model. It certainly isn't a message they always mention with LCD TV reviews...

The worst example on that video is with the camera focusing on low light detail, it does not look that bad in person. Also blurry mess? The minor change they see in the UFO test wasn't visible to them in real gaming scenarios. Other than that, there are plenty of LCD TVs that don't have these kinds of picture quality penalties in game mode, like the better Sony TVs and apparently other Samsung QLED models.

It's quite clear from the video that the FALD can't keep up in game mode. Black become bluish grey and details vanish on dark backgrounds.

If the flagship QLED can't keep up, what chance does the more budget friendly options have?

Do you have any videos or tests showing anything to the contrary with regards to other Samsung QLEDs? Or other brands for that matter?

It's quite clear from the video that the FALD can't keep up in game mode. Black become bluish grey and details vanish on dark backgrounds.

If the flagship QLED can't keep up, what chance does the more budget friendly options have?

Do you have any videos or tests showing anything to the contrary with regards to other Samsung QLEDs? Or other brands for that matter?

Star fields are quite hard for FALDs for sure, the other example does not look that bad in person, it is very over exposured, the menus look much bloomier than in reality. The blooming increase in game mode also is not nearly as easy to see in rooms with more light.

It's fair to speculate that Samsung has been too aggressive in reducing the input lag in game mode, although that's a feature many hold in high regard. It should be possible to have a few different settings for game mode, with varying levels of processing vs lag. Less advanced FALD on a cheaper set could operate faster.

Personally on my Q9FN, I can play many games without the game mode and sometimes do as I do notice a hit in quality when game mode is engaged. It's not a night and day difference in most scenarios though. I have to check if enabling some motion processing in game mode, which increases the lag a bit, has an effect on FALD performance.

Here is something of a recent Sony model.

Are you saying all QLED sucks? I'm using a Samsung 120 Hz QLED monitor and the colours are way beyond any other display I've ever seen.

Are you saying all QLED sucks? I'm using a Samsung 120 Hz QLED monitor and the colours are way beyond any other display I've ever seen.

I don't recall using that word. Are QLED subpar compared to OLED, sure. If OLED didn't suffer from potential image retention we wouldn't even have this conversation.

The fact that Samsung is ceasing LCD production entirely and converting production to OLED only should say as much.

It would be not wrong if Samsung is said to be continue producing QLEDs, because QD OLED will also be included under QLED moniker. It’s just a word play by Samsung Electronics who has so far been antagonistic to OLED but now has to make one themselves. Hiding the OLED name will be the best way to sell OLEDs themselves without being embarrassed. QLED itself was a misnomer to begin with. For the time being, they will still be selling LCDs just not using their own SPVA panels anymore and outsourcing entirely from Chinese makers. Then once QD OLEDs are in mass production, they will no longer be using Quantum Dot for their LCDs, relegating them to lower end tier. It’s not too different from what they are doing with non QD entry level LCDs and premium level QD LCDs. They can choose whatever technology to include with their “QLED” moniker. It could have been mini LED (micro FALD) QD LCD, but they decided to cut clean entirely with LCDs since nobody wants to buy LCDs at premium prices anymore. So the first entrant will be QD OLED, then QNED. (OLED fused with micro LED) A full on micro LED tv will be too expensive for consumers so they will be relagated to super riches forever, but QNED should prove to be interesting...

Reading that Samsung QD OLED article, the reason isn’t so much that everyone only ever wants to buy OLED now, per se, but that they managed to find a way to combine QD and OLED ik a way that produces OLED panels at almost 25% of the current cost. That is quite remarkable. For that price difference OLED would clearly become an incredibly competitive display type.

We’ll see. It’s a few years out yet and it could take a few years before we see all this come to the market. LG’s 55” models are certainly starting to hit attractive price ranges. But for HDR, I’ve always felt that you would at least need to be clearly above 1000nits. So I hope OLED can ramp up the brightness in the future.

That cost saving was based on Samsung’s old “best case scenario” claim. They eventually ran into trouble with QD color contamination and instead of delaying in for more years, they’ve decided to add 1 more blue OLED stack and color filter which will evaporate any cost savings against WOLED. WOLED will also enjoy extra cost saving of 18~20% by staying with bottom emission while QD OLED requires top emission to get 220% extra efficiency, and still it will not beat WOLED on brightness. (They were said to be measured 100 cd/m2 Full field white while WOLEDs can get 150 cd/m2) It will mostly compete on color volume only and even that is a big question. Part of the reason why WOLEDs are slow to move up the peak brightness ladder is because of Samsung not being competent at all. At least for the time being, I now have the Panasonic GZ2000 which can already handle perfect 1000 nits to tide over. ;)

I take it back. I adjusted my HDR settings and the B9 does look really good in HDR! I made the mistake of making some changes in the picture settings during HDR earlier that reduce the effect.
Details and colors pop out and at the same time it has the best blacks I have ever encountered in a TV set

I take it back. I adjusted my HDR settings and the B9 does look really good in HDR! I made the mistake of making some changes in the picture settings during HDR earlier that reduce the effect.
Details and colors pop out and at the same time it has the best blacks I have ever encountered in a TV set

Which picture modes are you using? I use Cinema bright and dark and the only changes I made are turning off the super resolution thing.

I think it looks great but I'm not sure I've really noticed any major HDR effects. I think sometimes it's there but I've yet to watch anything that makes me go this must be HDR?

Though me previous TV was pretty old so I think a lot of it to me just feels like overall improvement of the panel.

PS. One think don't like is Dolby Atmos with the built in speakers. It does some weird equalizer thing that makes a lot of sounds way too soft. Like you can have a scene with people talking and it will be at normal volume and the next scene is some action scene, it sounds lower volume than the previous scene.

Which picture modes are you using? I use Cinema bright and dark and the only changes I made are turning off the super resolution thing.

I think it looks great but I'm not sure I've really noticed any major HDR effects. I think sometimes it's there but I've yet to watch anything that makes me go this must be HDR?

Though me previous TV was pretty old so I think a lot of it to me just feels like overall improvement of the panel.
I havent used it for non-gaming content yet. I am using it for gaming so I am in Gaming HDR Mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back