Future Sony first-party PlayStation games coming to PC

IMO, that's all wishful thinking and "insiders".

Is the game any good?
It's great. Atmospheric, full of hidden lore, great challenges and hosts wide variety of playstyle builds [as opposed to Sekiro]. It's faster than older Souls games and promotes aggressive play by eliminating shields and enabling wounded player to get it's health back with smart moves [that was later expanded in Doom 2016's "push forward combat" design style].

PS4 version was 1080p30 with frametime issues, and it never got a Pro patch. :-/

...the PC market is one of it's own, it only has been growing and it's users don't seem to migrate despite the exclusives and the 4Pro that was supposed to attract pc gamers (sonys own claims).
No, the 4Pro was supposed to provide PS4 owners a better experience to stop them migrating to PC. It was never supposed to win PC gamers over.

Or a Store, it seems very good for incomes, see the terrible Epic store, but the games do make the platform profitable.
I doubt it. Epic's Store may even lose them money at this point, all the content they give away! Epic's money comes from Fortnite and licensing and the like. They are using that money to establish a store, bribing gamers to use it, with a view to one day being profitable.

Valve makes something like $5 billion a year revenue. Sony get $20 billion a year from PS revenue with a user-base similar to Steam's MAU, it seems. I don't think we have any idea how profitable Valve are as they aren't publicly traded.

One may think exclusives are enough to win users over, but EA are returning to Steam after trying to move everyone to their own storefront, so that suggests it's not that easy. You basically need 100 million users to get Valve like monies; 20 million PS exclusive buying PC owners probably won't secure a solid Steam challenger and they'll probably continue to buy their games on Steam - even MS has failed to challenge Steam with an OS default store installed on hundreds of millions of PCs! So sales of Sony titles would likely only be to generate profits themselves, and wouldn't effectively leverage a new storefront. No-one else has managed it and only Epic are challenging Steam by throwing spare money at the problem.

alve makes something like $5 billion a year revenue. Sony get $20 billion a year from PS revenue with a user-base similar to Steam's MAU, it seems. I don't think we have any idea how profitable Valve are as they aren't publicly traded.

Wow, so five times as much revenue for sony compared to steam. What's accountable for that huge difference? Also, doesn't steam have more then 100 million users?

Wow, so five times as much revenue for sony compared to steam. What's accountable for that huge difference? Also, doesn't steam have more then 100 million users?

I have no clue but a lot of steam folks(like me) are used to constant discounts. Many folks wait until game is heavily discounted before buying. It's almost frowned upon to buy something in launch instead of waiting for sale+patches to come in. Probably sony sells a lot of titles with full price and discounts are not as heavy as in steam. Sony discounts could be more thought to be tied to free games coming with ps+ subscription which is additional kind of revenue steam doesn't have.

I believe, that revenue counts Sony selling $400 consoles and $200 VR and other console hardware like $60 controllers. It's also not taking into account profitability. Valve does F-for-all and makes 30% off other people's games with only releasing 1 to maybe 3 game in a decade.

I have no clue but a lot of steam folks(like me) are used to constant discounts. Many folks wait until game is heavily discounted before buying. It's almost frowned upon to buy something in launch instead of waiting for sale+patches to come in. Probably sony sells a lot of titles with full price and discounts are not as heavy as in steam. Sony discounts could be more thought to be tied to free games coming with ps+ subscription which is additional kind of revenue steam doesn't have.

Aha yes forgot the subscribtion part, people don't pay for steam montly fees. Together with less discounts it explains alot. Steam supposedly has close to 100 million active users, about as much as PS4 hardware sold. Not every PS user has a subscribtion or even a PSN account.
Still, steam is very popular, but not every pc gamer is using it, as i assume there's more then 100 million pc gamers out there?

highest figure I can find is 95 million monthly active users. They've over a billion registered accounts but clearly that's not people spending money. ;)

For comparison, EGS reports over 100 million users, but we've no earnings info from that.And considering Epic are giving away significant games to people, chances are it could be costing them many millions a month to operate. I know at least one person who has an account and collects the free games without even playing them, just to have them!

Sony make far higher revenue than Valve from selling expensive hardware, peripherals, software sales, and subscription fees. We can't compare profitability as I said.

Sony make far higher revenue than Valve from selling expensive hardware, peripherals, software sales, and subscription fees. We can't compare profitability as I said.

Yes i understand now. Like Brit noted, it's the hardware and all too. Was thinking only of PS services :)

Yes i understand now. Like Brit noted, it's the hardware and all too. Was thinking only of PS services :)
It mostly is:

Through the PlayStation Network, including digital games, DLC, and subscription services, Sony made over $12 billion in 2019. After Sony today released its Q3FY2019 financial report, covering the final three months of the 2019 calendar year, sleuths at ResetEra did some math to determine yearly totals for 2019. In total, Sony brought in $12.48 billion through the PSN. $9.28 billion of that can be attributed to purchases through the PlayStation Store, including games, DLC, and other media. $3.2 billion came from PlayStation Plus and PlayStation now subscriptions.

At $18.72 billion overall, 2019 was the second-biggest year in revenue for PlayStation,
12.48 / 18.72 = 2/3rds of all 2019 PS revenue from PSN sub and sales. If these numbers are correct.

Possible strategy of porting Sony's IP (only main entries are considered):

Tier 1 (won't happen) : Gran Turismo, GOW, The Last of Us, Uncharted

Tier 2 (little chance): New PS5 games from Guerrilla & Insomniac

Tier 3 (maybe): Other games not included in tier 1/2

I think they will release more old title on PC if the Horizon Zero Dawn PC is a success, one of the goal is to make people buy a PS5 for HZD2 read Hermen Hulst about this.;-) I think they will fail...
Yes, I can see doing something like releasing the last of us on pc now would be good, ppl try it and perhaps love it so much that they want the last of us 2 when it comes out on the ps4, so much that they buy a ps4

Possible strategy of porting Sony's IP (only main entries are considered):

Tier 1 (won't happen) : Gran Turismo, GOW, The Last of Us, Uncharted

Tier 2 (little chance): New PS5 games from Guerrilla & Insomniac

Tier 3 (maybe): Other games not included in tier 1/2

What time frame are we talking about.

how much is the new God of war selling in year 2 or 3 or 4 ? If titles start selling well then they will post more over. I just think the pc and console markets are too different. A $500 ps5 isn't a great value proposition when someone has a high end pc. That $500 can get you a lot of pc gear or a solid upgrade to any of your parts. Will a pc gamer want to invest $500 into a ps5 in 2021 or 2022 ? 22 would give us another generation of video cards at that point or really close too it.

That's not intensifying, that's reporting on sketchy sources.

Hopefully people will not get to hyped for it, only to find out that it it does not exist or it has smaller scope.

I'm starting to wonder if the best idea would be to port their entire first party library, PS4 and prior, to PC and PS5.

Follow Microsoft's lead and, if you insert the disc, you download the PS5 update.

Keep PS5 games exclusive until the PS6, but give PC gamers access, via streaming, to any PS5 game they've bought digitally, as long as they have a PS+ membership.

I'm starting to wonder if the best idea would be to port their entire first party library, PS4 and prior, to PC and PS5.

Follow Microsoft's lead and, if you insert the disc, you download the PS5 update.

Keep PS5 games exclusive until the PS6, but give PC gamers access, via streaming, to any PS5 game they've bought digitally, as long as they have a PS+ membership.

Isnt that would disincentive people to buy PS5? At least for those regions with good/unlimited internet. With Game Pass PC, the xbox exclusives comes late to PC (but future release will be day one on pc?)

Isnt that would disincentive people to buy PS5? At least for those regions with good/unlimited internet. With Game Pass PC, the xbox exclusives comes late to PC (but future release will be day one on pc?)
Games are day and date if they are both platforms. Outerworlds , gears five , Minecraft adventures all came out same day on both platforms

Back