Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

i was angry but now that i know that the memorial is on the same day i could understand the reason, and hopefully it's just a one week delay.

I don't understand why anyone would be angry. A little annoyed, perhaps, but this is a tiny frustration as far as I'm concerned*. Doesn't warrant any sizeable emotions.

* Personally I'm completely indifferent. It'll happen when it happens. I guess that's just being patient, although I'm also not emotionally invested in the platform and I'm not looking forwards to the reveal with any excitement.

I don't understand why anyone would be angry. A little annoyed, perhaps, but this is a tiny frustration as far as I'm concerned*. Doesn't warrant any sizeable emotions.

* Personally I'm completely indifferent. It'll happen when it happens. I guess that's just being patient, although I'm also not emotionally invested in the platform and I'm not looking forwards to the reveal with any excitement.
And it looks like it might just be a week. Hardly world shaking.

Could be anything. It's wrong to think little games aren't cared about by anyone though. The majority, sure, but sometimes an odd fringe title is someone's favourite. An example from myself, Age of Booty on PS3. It's a great little game with no alternatives. Now if that was a PS4 title and I learned it wasn't coming to PS5 because the devs aren't going to fix it but it was on XB, that'd increase the chances of me picking XB because it feels 'safer'. For the vast majority of people, they only care about their games, and aren't interested in games other people may like. If Sony secures the majority, that's probably the best compromise, especially if that's a very large majority. But we shouldn't dismiss 'little games' as games no-one cares anything about. That effectively associates 'little' with 'a bit crap and pointless'.

I know what you're saying, but it's all relative. Would you really throw away all those digital games just because one game doesn't work? Would you really throw away the chance to play the next gen Naughty Dog game just because that one game didn't work? Would you really throw way that CoD online progress/stats just because...you get the idea lol

Point is Sony are trying the most popular games first, thus minimising any large scale complaint/mass migration to Xbox...much like the choice to buy a console, its not one thing it's the sum of all the things. I guess it could be the straw that breaks the back - I mean, to use my example - if ND switched to Xbox then that would be hard for me to take.

My take on whole of this BC certification PS5 in contract after July 13th is much simpler than most theories I read on here.

1. Anything before 13th of July, Sony will handle in some way or another. It is basically Sony responsibility to test and verify it works or not.
2. Anything after 13th of July, since BC is supposed to work very close to 100%, they put the work on the developer to verify that it complies to what ever guidelines/requirements that are need to run it on PS5 in BC mode. This way Sony does not have to do all the heavy lifting for all eternity or at least the PS5 lifecycle.

Now how this affects contracts, terms, royalties etc is something else.

Point is Sony are trying the most popular games first, thus minimising any large scale complaint/mass migration to Xbox...much like the choice to buy a console, its not one thing it's the sum of all the things. I guess it could be the straw that breaks the back - I mean, to use my example - if ND switched to Xbox then that would be hard for me to take.
Sure and I think that'll work. There are old games I'd like to play and can't, and I just live with it (maybe I'm supposed to be getting angry! ;)). Old titles will still run on the old console also, and maybe two generations on, we get BC again? I'm far more interested in PS1/2/3 BC than PS4.

Sure and I think that'll work. There are old games I'd like to play and can't, and I just live with it (maybe I'm supposed to be getting angry! ;)). Old titles will still run on the old console also, and maybe two generations on, we get BC again? I'm far more interested in PS1/2/3 BC than PS4.

I have a sneaky feeling that there will be more BC based on the slide during the Cerny presentation having a nice gap at the bottom....I can dream!!

Not because of the slide, I do think other platforms will be emulated. It'll be a case of how though. Disc-in emulation with visual enhancements, or buy again with original, unimproved visuals? And for PS3, will PSN bought title run on PS5? That'd be quite a valuable marketing point I think.

Ps3 already has ps1 2 and obvious ps3 compat. Buying one of those is still an option for legacy software. I think Its important that ps5 has as much ps4 compat as possible first and foremost. Then you only need two platforms instead of more

Ps4 is where a majority of digital purchases in ps have been by far, so securing digital libraries for thar ecosystem is paramount

Ps3 already has ps1 2 and obvious ps3 compat. Buying one of those is still an option for legacy software. I think Its important that ps5 has as much ps4 compat as possible first and foremost. Then you only need two platforms instead of more

Ps4 is where a majority of digital purchases in ps have been by far, so securing digital libraries for thar ecosystem is paramount
Only a few PS3 models were fully BC with PS2.

And honestly, if the PS5 is going to be BC just with PS4, I will be VERY disappointed.

PS5 is well spec'd to run existing PS emulators. Sony should be able to come up with something, even if just licensing some such emu like they did for their PlayStation Classic which uses PCSX ReARMed.

Only a few PS3 models were fully BC with PS2.

And honestly, if the PS5 is going to be BC just with PS4, I will be VERY disappointed.

Prepare to be disappointed. There is far less reason(or incentive) to support ps3 ps2 or ps1 compat on ps5 due to ps4s success without it, ps3 having full ps1 support and partial ps2 support with psn offering tons of ps2 titles to choose from, and it in general just being far more of a hassle attempting multiple gens of different architecture with all the licensing and potential emulation issues associated with the cost.

Ms's investment into bc was insane resources wise and that still only yielded a relatively small percentage of og xbox and 360 titles with them wanting to sell them on the store as well. Id expect any attempt by sony to be three times as hard and end up about the same as their ps2 emulation on ps4.

Psnow seems as far as that goes

Prepare to be disappointed. There is far less reason to support ps3 ps2 or ps1 compat on ps5 due to ps4s success, ps3 having full ps1 support and partial ps2 support with psn offering tons of ps2 titles to choose from, and it in general just being far more of a hassle attempting multiple gens of different architecture with all the licensing and potential emulation issues associated with the cost.
Yeah, I know it can be a hassle and even arise some issues, but it's not impossible either. For us gamers it can be a bit annoying to have more than two consoles of the same family wired up at the same time. I mean, I still play some original PS games and I can't use my PS4, so I have to use my PS3. If the PS3 was perfectly fine running PS games, why they decided not to feature that into the PS4?

But yes, I assume I'm going to be disappointed. o_O

Prepare to be disappointed. There is far less reason(or incentive) to support ps3 ps2 or ps1 compat on ps5 due to ps4s success without it, ps3 having full ps1 support and partial ps2 support with psn offering tons of ps2 titles to choose from, and it in general just being far more of a hassle attempting multiple gens of different architecture with all the licensing and potential emulation issues associated with the cost.

Ms's investment into bc was insane resources wise and that still only yielded a relatively small percentage of og xbox and 360 titles with them wanting to sell them on the store as well. Id expect any attempt by sony to be three times as hard and end up about the same as their ps2 emulation on ps4.

Psnow seems as far as that goes

a raspberry pie will run ps one titles. The ryzen inside the ps5 should run modern emulators fine

the ps2 will also run at 4k 60fps on pc

Sony should be able to create a better emulator considering they are the designers of the consoles and have all the source code and chip documentation.

Its the PS3 where IMO it all falls apart for sony right now

Now of course what I said above stands for the PS3 also but a lot of these games struggle at 720p or 1080p getting only 10fps. Some games will run at 4k and higher frame rates but they seem to be simpler games .
This video only used a 1060 so perhaps the rdna 2 could do a better job. However I think it be really hard for sony if a lot of the exclusives wont run at higher framerates and these teams have been working on this for quite a while.

I still have hope that sony will come out with ps1 +2 + 4 BC as that would still be quite a leap forward for them and maybe they can keep working on ps3 and by the time the ps5 pro hits the bc will be ready

I find it hard to believe that there will be a few PS4 games that you can't play on the PS5. I mean how very different is the insturctions/sub-instructions/extensions designed by AMD for the PS5 that it won't be able to support PS4 games? We know that you can play DX9 games still on a DX12 cards and yes Sony won't be using DX but what ever new version of the PSSL, GNM, GNMX they have, should be backwards compatible surely?
It'll be the ones that tie game performance(fps) to various systems. Destiny 2 had that issue when they started supporting PC. They had weapon stats and some movements stats tied to fps. Same goes for some japanese games where the same practices wee used. Running those on native PS5 hardware will probably result in some funny business.

Where did he say that? I know he said most of the top 100 were working...which implies not all games work. Think something like PS2 BC where it was like 99%
Tying this with what I said above, wonder if Bloodborne was one of the games tested.

I keep saying it but sony would be wise to pay from to upgrade bb for ps5..not just compat but a 4k 60 patch. People would go crazy and start foaming at the mouth. That on top of bluepoints demons souls would make the ultimate miyazaki fromsoft collection on ps5 along with sekiro already running at unlocked fps in ps4 pro

PS5 is well spec'd to run existing PS emulators. Sony should be able to come up with something, even if just licensing some such emu like they did for their PlayStation Classic which uses PCSX ReARMed.

If they did that they'd STILL have to fix the distribution issue.
Problem 1: does PS/PS2 discs work on the BD drive? (like work in terms of able to distinguish valid copies) (PS3/4 are easier)
Problem 2: Do they now have to recheck all PS1/2 titles?
Problem 3: Do they have to be responsible for releasing all those titles? (including titles where devs/publishers have gone bust?)

I'm actually fine with them not doing much about it, especially PS1 titles, because we have much better solutions now on PC/emulating.
As long as Sony doesn't pursue consumers legally for using emulators and ignore people using isos I'd say we're fine. There are just stuff Sony can't do legally that we as consumers are much more equipped to do. As long as the related parties accept that it's not really infringing on their interests to allow a minority of people to play unsupported titles in this fashion we're good.

PS2 emulation I'm not so sure about since I havn't checked up on that.

Back