Android Browser Tabs *spawn*

PSman1700

Legend
Can't Google on a new tab because Android will remove this tab from ram

Dont have this problem on iphone x, 5s and a range of xperia phones from z1 compact to xperia 1. On android give samsung internet browser with adblock plugin a try. Its the best out there, tried most :)

Can't Google on a new tab because Android will remove this tab from ram :(

I dont have that problem on my 1 year old Android 9 OS tablet.
I dont have that problem on my 5 year old Android 4 OS tablet either.
You need to stop buying devices from 8+ years ago.

I dont have that problem on my 1 year old Android 9 OS tablet.
I dont have that problem on my 5 year old Android 4 OS tablet either.
You need to stop buying devices from 8+ years ago.
I'm currently using this thing https://www.gsmarena.com/asus_fonepad_8_fe380cg-6411.php

I left My 6GB ram phone in the work room.

Btw you really are quite lucky. On Android 4 era, browser tab (was window) auto removed from memory was basically the normal behavior for any Android phones, Including flagships. Various minfree tweak floods xda developers, various "ram booster" App floods play store.

Things gets so bad, Google developed ways for app to save its state. So it can "restore" its state after being auto cleared from memory. But like any other Google initiatives on Android, even right now, many apps still doesn't use it.

The more hilarious thing, even on Android 10, with 6GB (or more) of ram, if you use non stock Android, your OEM-customized Android may still auto clear apps from RAM.

From my experience, the worst to best non stock Android at not clearing stuff from RAM:

1. Oppo/realme.
2. Xiaomi/redmi.
3. Samsung.
4. Sony.

Oppo/realme is so bad, it will still clear apps from memory even when you specifically mark it as "do not optimize" and put a lock on it on the task manager / switcher. It may not immediately close the app when you leave it, but leave it for a few hours or a few days, the app will get killed. Rather problematic if you need an app that stays running but will almost never get any user interaction: like Bluetooth tracker app.

Sony have weird exception tho. Years ago they have Sony Xperia SP that have RGB Led stripe as one of its selling point and major design. But on one of the update Sony forgot to flag the LED service as "don't kill, ever" and it will randomly stops beating to the music beats. Fixed with an update.

Samsung memory management is weird. As long as you don't fill the memory to the brim, it's fine. But if you fill it to the brim, instead of killing oldest app, the killings feels random. Sometimes even the app before the one you just switched. At least that was in Android 9 with galaxy note 8.

Last edited:
If you want good memory management it's probably ios/iphone the best, my 5s performs as well as my z1 compact that has double the amount of ram (1 vs 2gb).

indeed! even with "tiny" memory, it multitask better than android. and with the latest hack for iPhone, i could simply hack it and adjust any things that i didnt find comfortable. Hmm... maybe when my current phone dies/stolen/dissapear i finally will upgrade to an iPhone (probably older models that still hackable).

I don't remember having an issue with multitasking on Android for many years. Is it because I've never used cheap Android phones?

Good, what the hell are you doing leaving apps running for days

Why the hell are you fiddling with Bluetooth tracker app every minutes? :p

Yay the new, better memory management update not only come to Pixel but also to other Android phones https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/...will-come-to-other-android-phones-eventually/

Boo, each OEM can delay adding that feature to their phones.

I don't remember having an issue with multitasking on Android for many years. Is it because I've never used cheap Android phones?
Also could be your use case.

Btw IIRC Google pixel 3 got memory management issue despite it got 4GB ram. Google released an update in 2019(?) that should fixed it. Dunno it really fixed the memory management or not

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never seen an Android device or Android browser than could manage memory or "multitask" impressively. I don't believe that multitasking as it is on the desktop with multiple active programs is really a goal for Android. They like to hibernate anything that is in the background. Desktop browsers apparently hibernate tabs too now though.

Last edited:
Clearly iphones do hibernate apps in the background aswell. I’d say multitasking is more of a thing on a s21 than a iphone 12. It seems apple is actively limiting multitasking on ios. No idea why.

Back