AMD: Navi Speculation, Rumours and Discussion [2019-2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
NVIDIAs RT-core does all the ray traversal & intersection stuff on it's own with no CUDA-core involvement (after they send the probe to the RT core), only after the actual shading is done on CUDA-cores. On AMD stream-processors will be involved in the traversal-portion (didn't double check the patent and my memory is short but bad so might need to check on that)
Here's NVIDIAs whitepaper on theirs anyway https://www.nvidia.com/content/dam/...ure/NVIDIA-Turing-Architecture-Whitepaper.pdf
There is limit to depth/complexity of acceleration structure which RT core can handle without needing Cuda core to help.
Things like multilevel instancing is not advised due to this. (Instanced car which has instanced tires was example in some talk.)

Seems that culling is important for shaders too:

https://patents.justia.com/patent/20200098169
„Graphics processing pipelines include a number of stages, including a pixel shader stage. Pixel shader workload is usually the most expensive task in modern graphics applications. Depending on the order that pixels are processed in, sometimes the shader output for a particular pixel can be completely overridden by the pixel shader output for a later pixel. This redundant pixel shader workload is called pixel overdraw. Pixel overdraw will cause extra power to be consumed and will lower performance while not improving final rendering quality. Improvements to reduce pixel overdraw are desirable and constantly being made.“

After 20+ years, multi-billion dollar corporations cannot enforce policies, to pre-test prototypes without internet connection or at least have a list of benchmarks with automatic upload functions? What's more likely?
Incompetence. It's more prevalent than you think, even in these big companies.

The same company that leaked unreleased product's details on github, and was robbed of cpu's blueprint and blackmailed?

The same company that leaked unreleased product's details on github, and was robbed of cpu's blueprint and blackmailed?

Not to be confused with the company that was robbed of confidential material and blackmailed and also consumer credit info and also unfinished products multiple times.

Incompetence. It's more prevalent than you think, even in these big companies.

"Incompetence" is a bit hard. We're all incompetent, and the sum of us all is not less incompetent. :) Computers are acompetent, because they don't know what they are doing. It's sensible to talk about incompetence regarding an individial's actions, but's not applicable to large machines running on barely synchronizing human behaviour.

The cost of total control is just so much more, than the consequences of loss of control, it just continues to happen. So what. And, honestly, we don't really want that kind of unfailable total control in our lives, do we? :)

"Incompetence" is a bit hard. We're all incompetent, and the sum of us all is not less incompetent. :) Computers are acompetent, because they don't know what they are doing. It's sensible to talk about incompetence regarding an individial's actions, but's not applicable to large machines running on barely synchronizing human behaviour.

The cost of total control is just so much more, than the consequences of loss of control, it just continues to happen. So what. And, honestly, we don't really want that kind of unfailable total control in our lives, do we? :)

There are more tha one highly paraphrasable general wisdom one-liners in there.

is that in time for cyber punk ? my vega is getting long in the tooth and I want to upgrade. I feel like AMD is always late to the big game releases with new hardware
Depends when they finally get Cyberpunk 2077 out, I mean, we were supposed to be playing it already ;)
But if there won't be new delays for Cyberpunk, it should be available first.

Depends when they finally get Cyberpunk 2077 out, I mean, we were supposed to be playing it already ;)
But if there won't be new delays for Cyberpunk, it should be available first.

Cyberpunk is currently scheduled for September, not particularly "late". Then again, who knows wtf "late" means. Other than "it's an earnings call and anything we say we are particularly legally liable for at the moment so let's be vague".

news about big Navi

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-big-navi21-gpu-variants-have-been-decoded

NAVI-21-GAMING-768x312.png

Anniversary edition comeback ;)

If it's similar in release price, then it's a game-changer.
And not making AMD much money either, so I wouldn't count on it.

If it's similar in release price, then it's a game-changer.
And not making AMD much money either, so I wouldn't count on it.
Of course their top chip based stuff will release at a higher price. Depending on how they compete against NVIDIAs upcoming lineup, I'm sure AMD will try and offer slightly better perf/$-ratio, but nothing dramatic.

I don't see how anything on Navi 21 can be "similar to" anything on Navi 10 when the same news piece is describing the supposed "Navi 10 Refresh". This would mean that either a full Navi 10 will be sold at $250 now or there's something wrong with the rumor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back