16/9 4k or 21/9 1440p ?

Rootax

Veteran
Hello guys,

I'm looking at some news monitors. I've a good 27" ips, 16/9 1440 monitor right now, with freesync and all that...
Now, I want a bigger display, and 32" seems the right spot. I mostly do web browsing, compiling stuff and gaming of course.

So I looked at curved screen, and to my surprise there is no 4k display for 99% of them. But mostly 3440*1440 for ultra wide ratio. Now, will this be a decent jump from my 27" 1440p monitor, or should I go non-curved but 2160p ? I really like the immersion given by curved monitors, but I would like some feedback if possible ? I've no doubt that the 27=>32" will help, but I'm kind of afraid of the "tiny" résolution jump.

Thx a lot.

3440*1440p on a 34" isn't too low ? What I like with 27/1440p is the nice pitch/pixel density.

3440*1440p on a 34" isn't too low ? What I like with 27/1440p is the nice pitch/pixel density.
I really think that's personal taste as I don't know any better. I'm on a 2650x1080 34" ultrawide so I'm definitely not the connoisseur of high dpi :) I just really love the format and have no issues with the pixel density. I bought mine several years ago when I still had a 970 and wanted to game at native resolution, knowing I wouldn't be able to drive a 1440p UW.

Ah yes about the density, I'm dumb.

Yeah I'll go curved if I move from my 27.

EDIT : Pretty hard to find my perfect monitor. I want ips, freesync, more than 60hz, curved as I said... The LG 34GN850-B seems to be great. The Gsync support is nice if I don't want to be lock to AMD in the futur. The HDR seems kind of weak, but I don't care about HDR on PC. But around 800-1000 euros, ouch...

Last edited:

Yeah I'll go curved if I love from my 27.

EDIT : Pretty hard to find my perfect monitor. I want ips, freesync, more than 60hz, curved as I said... The LG 34GN850-B seems to be great. The Gsync support is nice if I don't want to be lock to AMD in the futur. The HDR seems kind of weak, but I don't care about HDR on PC. But around 800-1000 euros, ouch...

AFAIK, most Freesync monitors that use displayport are supported by nvidia's freesync-but-we-pretend-it's-gsync nowadays. That means you don't need to look for specific and overpriced gsync models anymore.

Yeah I'll go curved if I move from my 27.

Sounds like you're in a similar position to me. I almost bought the Benq ex3501r which seems pretty good and reasonably priced but the HDR capabilities put me off. I've decided it's HDR1000 or nothing now which basically leaves me waiting until monitors which support that drop in price to about 50% of their current!

WRT to IPS vs VA, I'm not overly concerned, I own an OLED TV so the higher contract ratio's of the VA definitely appeal. You just need to make sure you get one with decent response times and refresh rate (the BenQ seems okay in this regard).

What is the advantage of HDR over the regular 10bit RGB 4:4:4 color, in monitors that have no dimming zones?

I get that the CRG9 reaches 1000 nits peak, but does it need HDR to reach those brightness levels?

What is the advantage of HDR over the regular 10bit RGB 4:4:4 color, in monitors that have no dimming zones?

I get that the CRG9 reaches 1000 nits peak, but does it need HDR to reach those brightness levels?

HDR500 and above require local dimming as part of the standard. They also specify minimum contrast ratios and minimum black to white response times. As well as the usual colour depth and coverage requirements. HD1000 is the only standard that's comparable to a modern decent HDR capable TV though.

Sounds like you're in a similar position to me. I almost bought the Benq ex3501r which seems pretty good and reasonably priced but the HDR capabilities put me off. I've decided it's HDR1000 or nothing now which basically leaves me waiting until monitors which support that drop in price to about 50% of their current!

WRT to IPS vs VA, I'm not overly concerned, I own an OLED TV so the higher contract ratio's of the VA definitely appeal. You just need to make sure you get one with decent response times and refresh rate (the BenQ seems okay in this regard).

Do you know if nano-ips is better than ips in the contrast ratio / black level area ?

If I let go of "official" gsync support, hdr (I don't care about that), and go from ips to va, the CU34G2X seems nice too.

EDIT : but some users report flickering with freeysnc/gsync...

After that, it seems it's a VA vs IPS situation for most. Black smearing vs ips glow... I'm pretty used to ips, so, I don't know...Rhaaaaa...

Last edited:
So for the record, after a lot of research, I just ordered a AW3420DW. The QC seems better than the LG's, and in France, Dell support (in case of problems) is really good. Now I'm waiting for it to continue my PC games : D (should receive it in approx 10-12 days)

Received it today. I'm coming from a 27' 16/9, so the high is the same, but the ultrawide thing is really nice. Out of the box, I just had to lower the brightness, other than that it's pretty good. I read that it supports freesync, even if it doesn't say, and it's true. In fact it supports adaptive-sync via display port, with the gsync module. So I got 1-120hz range, yeah. And it works. I tested as low as 35fps, and no tearing (the old windmill demo is great for that).

freesync.jpg

The curve is ok, not too much, it's perfect for my setup, and the stand is good too. It's really great for having more windows /apps, and games. I like the lighting of it, not because it looks cool or anything, but when it's dark, i'm used to play with a little light source in the background, it's easier on my eye this way (don't know why). The the rgb lighting coming from the bottom and the back are doing this job. Now, it's ips, so a little ips glow in the corner, but nothing major (and I'm coming from another ips monitor so it's not a surprise), and no bleed detected for now. I'm happy. Approx 1000euros less rich, but happy :eek:

Back