General Next Generation Rumors and Discussions [Post GDC 2020]

game play was always bad for gta . its why I stoped at vice city lol

You stopped at the wrong time. They improved the gameplay immensely from after San Andreas. I wouldn't say it's got the best gameplay but it's way better than the PS2 games were.

You stopped at the wrong time. They improved the gameplay immensely from after San Andreas. I wouldn't say it's got the best gameplay but it's way better than the PS2 games were.
I've tried gta 5 and its better but still really janky. So I didn't bother buying it. Its also not really my type of game

I've tried gta 5 and its better but still really janky. So I didn't bother buying it. Its also not really my type of game

Fair enough. It's just that the gameplay or the actual combat back on the PS2 games was absolute shite.
I still loved the games though. Games for me is all about everything combined, it's why I love Red Dead even though lots of people don't like the way or how slow the animations are but for me it makes it more believable, Arthur is a big dude he ain't no ninja. I've spent hours probably just walking around in that game because it's what I would do in real life instead of running everywhere like I would do in other games or maybe that's just me getting old. :D
I remember running through games like a lunatic when I was a kid although I wasn't like some crazy friends I had that used to just skip through the dialogue in Baldurs Gate, that's heresy.

But I understand that some people don't like that and probably won't like "compromised gameplay" (don't know what else to call it).

We have some very nice looking Mafia 1 Remake screenshots.

They look so good, in particular the reflections, that make me think they may come from the Next-Gen version of the game.

If so for me it would be the first Next-Gen game that look good, despite being cross-gen.

EX6IgzkWAAAtIGw

EX6IhEEWsAE9dI8

When I saw then I was thinking "It looks much better than the last GTA!" then I realized that GTA V is a game built for Xbox 360 and PS3 and during this generation we haven't had many GTA Clones (I can't even name one of them)

Bullsh*t(s). :p

Fair enough. It's just that the gameplay or the actual combat back on the PS2 games was absolute shite.
I still loved the games though. Games for me is all about everything combined, it's why I love Red Dead even though lots of people don't like the way or how slow the animations are but for me it makes it more believable, Arthur is a big dude he ain't no ninja. I've spent hours probably just walking around in that game because it's what I would do in real life instead of running everywhere like I would do in other games or maybe that's just me getting old. :D
I remember running through games like a lunatic when I was a kid although I wasn't like some crazy friends I had that used to just skip through the dialogue in Baldurs Gate, that's heresy.

But I understand that some people don't like that and probably won't like "compromised gameplay" (don't know what else to call it).

I'm 6'4 300lbs and I move like the wind bro. You'd be surprised

I'm 6'4 300lbs and I move like the wind bro. You'd be surprised

For short bursts no doubt but if you moved like the wind constantly you wouldn't be 300 pounds.

I bet if you timed how long Arthur takes to do normal things you would be surprised how he moves probably faster than you do.

Haha, this is my test of GTA combat mechanics too. The aiming in PS2 GTAs was total arse with the lockon-mode often picking innocent pedestrians when four enemies with uzis were filling you full of lead.

I though the combat in GTA V was pretty good and the first person controls are great.

Oh WD1 did look great. Then they released it and it didn't. Like oh so many Ubisoft titles before and after. (some of the lost beauty could be enabled via editing some configs, they literally cut the graphics on PC because of consoles were too far behind or something)

I was never impressed with WD1, yes it had nice things during the reveal but visually I didn't feel a true next-gen improvement that we have seen with other games such as Infamous Second Son

Yeah, a whole generation with no new GTA game. :runaway: We had two (GTA IV and GTV V) last gen so the only new game Rockstar delivered in an entire generation was RDR2.

Equally, by the end of this generation Naughty Dog only have released two big games - Uncharted 4 and The Last of Us 2. Uncharted Lost Legacy was a mini, and the other games were PS4 re-masters of Uncharted 1-3 (outsourced to Blue Point) and The Last of Us. Likewise, Sucker Punch have only released Infamous Second Son, and the mini Infamous Last Light and will release Ghost of Tsushima imminently. Development of big AAA games is really grinding compared to previous generations.

Did you play Lost Legacy though? Because it didn’t feel *that* mini ... !

Also, watching some HDR 4k footage (I’m going to get a 4TB drive for my PS4 pro so I can keep more games installed, I upgraded my og PS4 but never my Pro ...) of Uncharted 4 and Lost Legacy I’m just amazed how great that looks. Suddenly UE5 doesn’t even look that impressive.

I think perhaps one of the biggest advantages could be a combination - developers can work with the lod0 models right up to the end of the development cycle and then based on actual gameplay can fairly simply create an optimized LOD that cuts unneeded detail and reduces the size on disc etc.

I’m pretty sure though that this UE5 approach will not nearly be the only way forward for next gen, but we’ll see. It’s definitely fascinating to see.

Last edited:
So, rumors about a PS5 gameplay reveal event in early June are increasing.
About time Sony blows us away with their true next gen exclusives, wonder how close they'll come to that UE5 demo if not surpassing it. That is, if this rumor holds water.

I have to respectfully disagree somewhat regarding the UE5 demo on PS5 not being too impressive compared to UC4/LL on PS4. Uncharted has world class composition, artistry and likely the very best tech possible on PS4; and there is without a doubt some jaw dropping scenes, so I don't mean to be intellectually dishonest by not including some of those stunning vistas. But I feel much of it relies very heavily on distance of assets from the camera, the aforementioned composition and artistry (not a bad thing of course..) as well as ideal circumstances.

While I still think tech like Nanite raises the ceiling considerably, it's main strength is in raising the floor, minimising rough spots and allowing for greater consistency.

Getting like for like shots is difficult, but when you get up close with the nitty gritty in UC4 and the circumstances aren't ideal, it can very quickly fall apart, like in these shots for eg.

uc5vue5-nittygritty.jpg

In my mind's eye before I went back and looked, UC4 still held up relatively speaking. And not doubt, there is some diminishing returns at the very top end in terms of the effective result. But after going back and having a look. It's night and day.

Edit: Also, while the UE5 demo is of course heavily cultivated, the very nature and promise of the tech is such that when you put it under scrutiny and look for weak spots -- at least in terms of geometric detail -- it should hold up much, much better.

Last edited:
Uncharted 4 is not even close to that demo. For one, the demo had fully dynamic real-time GI. It also has insane geometric detail like we've never seen in a real-time game. It was also able to maintain all that detail as the character flew incredibly fast through the last portion of the level. There's nothing remotely in the same ballpark right now.

Unreal+Engine%2Fblog%2Fa-first-look-at-unreal-engine-5%2FUnreal_Engine_5_Gallery_3-2491x1400-b9dc65762824a9aa810ffda0fcaf389469ab129f.jpg

Unreal+Engine%2Fblog%2Fa-first-look-at-unreal-engine-5%2FUnreal_Engine_5_Nanite-2491x1401-110edc43c67b7d81be869bf703cb40a72e557c96.jpg

For short bursts no doubt but if you moved like the wind constantly you wouldn't be 300 pounds.

I bet if you timed how long Arthur takes to do normal things you would be surprised how he moves probably faster than you do.
never doubt American Gluttony! I am able to run a half marathon in about 3h30 minutes. So watch out , you might think your save and then boom i'm right within in range to attack !

Uncharted 4 is not even close to that demo. For one, the demo had fully dynamic real-time GI. It also has insane geometric detail like we've never seen in a real-time game. It was also able to maintain all that detail as the character flew incredibly fast through the last portion of the level. There's nothing remotely in the same ballpark right now.

Yeah, especially in terms of details and geometry. There's no possible comparison. We could argue about lighting, character rendering, etc.

I know it's dynamic GI, but baked lighting can look really good too, even if far less impressive technically.

But we clearly never saw this amount of details and geometry before. It's night and day.

I have to respectfully disagree somewhat regarding the UE5 demo on PS5 not being too impressive compared to UC4/LL on PS4. Uncharted has world class composition, artistry and likely the very best tech possible on PS4.
No way. It was ND's first PS4 title reworking their PS3 title.

Well I guess I have to concede that point! Still though, you have to be careful what you use to compare, there are different technologies at work in different parts of the game.

The lost city level in Uncharted 4

or for instance this level in the lost legacy

(opening when they find the city or that huge puzzle statue around 22min)

... are still really beautiful and I guess that is what struck me ... but I concede that this UE5 demo is on another level in terms of geometry and dynamic lighting.

Did you play Lost Legacy though? Because it didn’t feel *that* mini ... !
Hmm.. I remember starting it but.. hmmm.. I think I had to travel not far in. I may never have finished it. So I have a game to play!

Back