Microsoft Xbox digital events [E3 2020 Replacements]

I also wonder if the stream quality was at the YT end as they and Netflix have been asked to reduce bandwidth use during the lockdown.
This is why i questioned streaming live. If it was live.
It all could've been pre recorded with proper quality game streams.
I watched it on mixer (I think), maybe that was worse than youtube?

Given covid, I think this format was actually pretty good overall. It was mostly games with the odd conversation.

I'm not talking about game content, just the format and stream quality.

Thought these videos from Tim Schafer about Psychonauts 2 development post COVID19 might be interesting...

It definitely shows the lock-down effect on game development.

Tommy McClain

EXmIu3BXQAIZ2Bv

Tommy McClain

I wonder how they decided on latin alphabet for Chorus. It just reads like Chorvs without any other context to dispel the ambiguity.

Interview with Ljubomir Peklar, game director at Ebb Software for Scorn.

Here are the quotes.

“Microsoft had some messaging problems,” Peklar told us. “People expected multi-million AAA production games to show off next-gen visuals and, most importantly, gameplay showcases.”

“[Recreating that style] is something I figured would be one of the biggest challenges from the start, but I couldn’t comprehend how much,” Peklar said. “It really requires a tremendous amount of polishing and attention to detail to look good.”

“When I started discovering art Giger was a big inspiration. His paintings were very close to my own sensibility and ideas,” Peklar gushes. Alien is the reason why most people think Giger’s work is only about, well, aliens, or something alien to us, but this is a very superficial way of looking at it. It’s not about something alien, it’s much more about alienation. It’s a reflection on never ending fusion and devouring of sentient biological entities by technological machinery.

It’s about the processes in our mind that move and frighten us as biological creatures, like our sexual drive or the drive for self-destruction. It’s about the truth of our existence, not some other form’s existence. That’s what people are subconsciously reacting to, not the alien-ness.”

“We learned every lesson two times over. It almost feels unreal with how much confidence and how much ignorance we went into all of this. If at the beginning someone could project to your mind how much you don’t know, and would need to learn, you would probably just be too paralysed to start at all. Basically 80% of that part of the game you saw has changed, let alone the rest of the game.”

“If we fail at immersing the players Scorn will simply fall flat. We have various tools at our disposal to immerse the player, from sights to sounds, but we have to make sure we use them properly to elevate and prioritise the psychological component. Next- gen hardware makes it easier because you don’t have to do so much leg work and you can just concentrate on art.”

“We didn’t [want to bring Scorn to current-gen consoles] because we want our game to be played at 60FPS. That would be close to impossible without big sacrifices. Next-gen is about responsiveness, smoothness and a lot less time wasting. The problem with these features is that they are not easy to sell in videos or screenshots.”

“Everyone is touting the SSD as the next big thing, and yes SSDs will help a lot with loading and moving assets, but the biggest culprit that is creating problems in the current generation is the CPU,” Peklar explained to us. “That’s where the biggest difference compared to current generation will come from.”

https://mspoweruser.com/scorn-interview-delving-inside-the-xbox-series-x-exclusive/

Tommy McClain

5 Minutes of The Ascent gameplay

Tommy McClain
I thought I was looking at Alien Nation (link not included as it's on a Sony console).

To be fair, the visuals on cutscenes etc. are a more pronounced improvement. It's also listed on Steam, and I see XBOne listed on the publisher's official page, so I guess it is cross-gen.

Here's a better view showing the detail in the game:

Last edited:
seems like they sort started shadow dropping random stuff, I'm not sure if this is going to get coverage, but for any content creators here:

Back