Unreal Engine 5, [UE5 Developer Availability 2022-04-05]

Where do you get this from? (Too much posts... and panic :) )
Their GI is pretty good - not sure i f i should just jump out of the window...
But i thought it is using RT. Not even sure how much bounces. At least they have heavy lag.
the end of the digital foundry article, sorry that was a quote, I didn't format it.

So now the graphic quality of a game will be dictated by the speed of your internet connection. Imagine if you have less than 5Mbps internet connection.. the game will look like a PS2 game, only with nice GI :)
Realistically, by the time you've got download speeds faster enough for this, you can stream super high quality video instead. It'd start to make more sense game-streaming. Solving the network latencies is probably easier than getting everyone up to multi-gigabit connections.

This may be the reason why MS is targeting their Series X exclusives for later 2021. Nearly all their first party developers use Unreal Engine and UE5 won't hit until middle to late 2021.
Late 2021 is to early. Not a single dev outside of Epic seemed to have known about it before today. All fall 2021 AAA games are already well under way. UE5 won't be production ready until end of 2021 so expect games in 2022/23 at the earliest.

Epic just happened to show this off on PS5.
Because that's far the stronger brand generating the most interest. I expect Epic went to Sony and said, "can we?" and Sony said, "sure!"

This may be the reason why MS is targeting their Series X exclusives for later 2021. Nearly all their first party developers use Unreal Engine and UE5 won't hit until middle to late 2021.
Or maybe as part of Epic's agreement with Sony to debut as a PS5 engine, MS weren't allowed to show UE5 content but now they can?

There is one thing that this tech can't show and it's audio. They talk about reverberation in the caves for example. I wonder if the engine makes use of the Tempest engines.

Late 2021 is to early. Not a single dev outside of Epic seemed to have known about it before today. All fall 2021 AAA games are already well under way. UE5 won't be production ready until end of 2021 so expect games in 2022 at the earliest.

Well that's a shame. I imagine you can't just port existing game engines to it and expect as big of a lift. I figure UE5 will have larger impact on the development pipeline and that will take a lot of time to move over for existing games. Likely to the point of existing games remaining on UE4 branch.

1440p is a great choice. THere's a huge amount of rendering fidelity that's untapped at lower resolutions. Most games at 1080p don't look anything close to offline CG yet. I think it's smarter to pursue bridging that gap at lower resolutions than chasing native 4k.

It already begins LOL. Called this.

1440P and 30 FPS. NOT 4k or 60 FPS. And gushing impressions.

Why cant we have games like this already? It literally must be legacy consoles (Base Xbox One and PS4) holding us back. Even a Xbox One X is nominally 2/3 the power of a PS5.

Yeah 2/3 of the power, let's just compare TFLOPS, not the vast improvements everywhere else.

I think Scott's saying just enjoy it for what it is (an evolutionary leap in realtime rendering software) and don't even try to hazard a guess whether it'll scale to real games or not because no-one knows. ;)

Ehh, a next gen Tomb Raider would probably look something like this. It doesn't look that insane. Question would be when/if we would get a next gen Tomb Raider (or other adventure game), IE cutting off everything below the PS5.

We will get it but maybe in 1-3 years, or possibly early Sony exclusives if they go PS5 only as claimed.

I wasn't impressed with audio. Watched on headphones and the sound positioning was wrong. Her footsteps were coming from off the left instead of central. There was nothing next-gen about the audio.

Agree, the only thing a bit impressive was the cave echo effects and the heavy bass

They touched on this in the SGF interview and my take away was that it would be much easier to bring older code to this new engine than previous engine changes.

Right, but you won't get the amazing lift, since you didn't design with it as a target to begin with, so many of your game design is going off older givens from UE4.

Back