A new video card for my son for his birthday.

Wife talked to me about the card today, she wants to get him something to encourage him to get out of the house. I pointed out he CAN'T go out of the house for a while and he wants to get out already and no matter what he'll always be a gamer, we're getting the card.

Also, here's a picture of our upcoming puppy. One of the female ones.

https://www.facebook.com/SavicGermanShephards/

That was quite an expensive card indeed.
Why not a RadeOn RX 5700XT or a GeForce RTX 2060 Super (if you want Ray Tracing) instead ?
That's 20% less, or put another way the 2070 Super was 25% more expensive than either of those. (MRSP)

Or a completely different thing, get him a Nintendo Switch is he doesn't already have one, can even play on the go so should work with your wife too ;)

Dude, you know you need to clear the costs with the wife
Or he needs to be better at keeping things secret.

Though really if it's coming from the household money then it needs to be cleared by everyone who contributes to the stash.. :/

Wife learned of card's cost, just cancelled card.

F-ing a and fml. :(
Normally I do, but I had approval for $400 and she bought a dog 2 days before without asking my opinion on it or mentioning it to me so I figured the hell with it.

I'll look later, right now I'm just dooming a bit. <sigh>

I'll look later, right now I'm just dooming a bit. <sigh>
For what it's worth, nvidia is supposed to be showing off their new family of GPUs just a day and a half from now.
We don't really know exactly when these new GPUs are coming, but there's a chance a few of them could be coming in couple of months or less, or that their announcement will drive down the prices for the current 2 year-old Turing GPUs.

Regardless, your greenlit $400 are just about enough for a 2060 Super on sale.

If your planning to use vr dont connect your monitor via hdmi
Thanks. VR uses the hdmi? We have DP for most monitors, only use hdmi when hooking up to TVs and such.

I hope the cards ok, I hit the wall burning out looking at them and they all started blurring together. Just decided to grab one that looked good.

Oooh, a three fan 2060 super for $400! Well, close enough to $400.

So far that looks like the winner, gonna speak to the wife later after a bit more searching. The nVidia presentation made me think now is a decent time to get one, I don't wanna wait until the fall or later. :)
Obviously there's always something better coming. The 3000 series will probably be the biggest performance jump over the previous gen that we've seen in a long time, much greater than Pascal to Turing. Going from 16/12nm to 7nm is huge.

Back