The Last of Us (Part) 2 [PS4]

Will Sony delay release of The Last Of Us 2 because of CoronaVirus Pandemic?

• Yes.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't be silly.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
until there's an AI toolset to automatically add awesome facial expression, or stock realistic facial expression libs... hopefully all open world game wont have crazy facial animation like TLOU2. The crunch must be utter hell.

"Battlefront 2 looks better"

Screenshot-Original.png

0jy89v0jmero.png

I mean, I guess. lol.

They have different art direction. Battlefront goes photo realistic while TLOU goes more cartoony (less cartoony than uncharted tho)

Photorealistic
y05b4i0h96u21.jpg

Cartoony
PS_TLOU_PII-1024x576.jpg

Oookk.

different lights, but yep. TLOU have more cartoony art direction.

to be clear, i dont mean cartoony cant looks awesome and cant uses photorealistics tecniques. For example, the tintin movie long time ago. It have cartoony art direction, but also apply photorealistics tecniques. Then there's also Frozen II with its cartoony art direction but realistic.

EDIT: btw what i mean photorealistic, is realistic as in color-graded/touched-up photos or movie scenes. Not vanilla reality in real life with its boring color, flat look, etc for most of the time.

I wouldn't say Tlou 2 looks cartoony, it's stylized in a more CGI way like those Resident Evil CG movies. The texture detail, shading and use of lighting all resemble a realistic approach but slightly hyper real if you will. The models look much better than Battlefront's is purely due to well, far denser geometry, better texture, shading and animation more than anything else I reckon.

In some behind the scenes stuff for the first Uncharted, they spoke of the way that all of their textures were hand drawn. I don't know if they do the same with TLoU but, if they do, I think that would explain the perception of a more stylised or "cartoony" look vs Battlefront 2, which I would expect to use photogrammetry.

Personally, I'm not making any comparisons, because I haven't played either game. Sure, I could hop on YouTube, but that only gets you so far. I feel like I get as much fidelity from YouTube videos of games as a dog gets from watching tennis on the TV.

talking about UC4, depending on lighting conditions, they could make Him look more or less realistic
guess it could be the same with TLOU2

uc4-drake-1.png

uc4-drake-2.png

I would definitely not call Last of Us 2 photo-realistic, and I don't think it's trying to be. That's not a bad thing. It's an intentional choice in art direction. Battlefront 2 used extensive photogrammetry to capture assets from the models used in the film, maybe the costumes. But something like Rey's face, I doubt they scanned Daisy Ridley. It would be an artists interpretation of her. It's also a four year old game, so it's nowhere near the top of graphics now. Its what photorealism in games looked like four years ago.

I would definitely not call Last of Us 2 photo-realistic, and I don't think it's trying to be. That's not a bad thing. It's an intentional choice in art direction. Battlefront 2 used extensive photogrammetry to capture assets from the models used in the film, maybe the costumes. But something like Rey's face, I doubt they scanned Daisy Ridley. It would be an artists interpretation of her. It's also a four year old game, so it's nowhere near the top of graphics now. Its what photorealism in games looked like four years ago.
Could they not use a form of photogrammetry to approximate Rey into a 3D model based off of photos?

I wouldn't say Tlou 2 looks cartoony, it's stylized in a more CGI way like those Resident Evil CG movies. The texture detail, shading and use of lighting all resemble a realistic approach but slightly hyper real if you will. The models look much better than Battlefront's is purely due to well, far denser geometry, better texture, shading and animation more than anything else I reckon.

thats it! thats way more apt description of it

I don’t know. I’m trying to figure out what makes something photorealistic versus cartoony.

All I know is when I look at the examples of TLOU2, SWB and UC4, I see what I interpret as real strong attempts at making those characters as real as possible.

I don’t know. I’m trying to figure out what makes something photorealistic versus cartoony.

All I know is when I look at the examples of TLOU2, SWB and UC4, I see what I interpret as real strong attempts at making those characters as real as possible.
TLOU 2 is obviously better looking than Battlefront to me. Its difficult to understand how any logical person could come to a different conclusion. It has twice the render budget per frame, a higher minimum spec to target, and longer development time.

i cant really put them into words. Sure its easy for something like Frozen II where its photorealistic with cartoony (big cartoony eyes, etc) art direction. But for something like Uncharted 4 or TLOU, hmmm what makes it photorealistic but CGI-look art direction. I just cant put the words....

TLOU 2 is obviously better looking than Battlefront to me. Its difficult to understand how any logical person could come to a different conclusion. It has twice the render budget per frame, a higher minimum spec to target, and longer development time.

I think there's only one person in this thread that's said Battlefront 2 is better looking. No one else agrees with them.

They really improved the motion blur in their last trailer. The game looks really nice now. There're still artifacts with heavy motion, but that remains decent. I have no major complaints about the graphics anymore.

Right now, i think it's the best looking game on the market (for this gen).

Last edited:

Bloody hell, the textures are amazing.

I didn't notice it in other trailers but that wet look looks amazing. This game is going to smash it out of the park. Definitely the best looking game of this generation for sure.

Back