Detroit [PS4, PC]

Did either of you at least finish the story out by watching YouTube videos?

Did either of you at least finish the story out by watching YouTube videos?
No, I intended to go back to it. Then when I decided too I have forgotten so much of what I did other than the broad strokes. I'm finding this increasingly with games, if I take a break, by the time I think I'll dip back in I've forgotten too much - even the fundamental controls - to carry on seamlessly.

Should I feel bad that I stopped playing this game about halfway out of sheer boredom?

I can only take so many QTEs and analog stick gestures..

Not at all.

It's the one game that makes me want to renew my PS+ subscription, as I started playing about half an hour before it expired, so I didn't get very far at all. But I've played both Heavy Rain and Beyond Two Souls, and with both of them, I ran out of steam and never completed them.

I'm conflicted, because I respect them trying to do something different - rather than just being another Dark Souls clone or a mechanically generic 1st/3rd person shooter - but nothing they've done has ever really clicked with me.

I don't think it's really helped by the fact that David Cage doesn't appear to be a very good writer. Both Heavy Rain and Beyond Two Souls were shallow pulp dressed up as something with depth. And I don't really appreciate that sort of pretence.

That's my biggest concern with this: it's going to be iRobot, wearing the clothing of Bladerunner.

Still, all of their games are beautifully presented. It's a great studio. Lots of respect for them. But I think David Cage needs to dispose of his hipster beret.

Not at all.

It's the one game that makes me want to renew my PS+ subscription, as I started playing about half an hour before it expired, so I didn't get very far at all. But I've played both Heavy Rain and Beyond Two Souls, and with both of them, I ran out of steam and never completed them.

I'm conflicted, because I respect them trying to do something different - rather than just being another Dark Souls clone or a mechanically generic 1st/3rd person shooter - but nothing they've done has ever really clicked with me.

I don't think it's really helped by the fact that David Cage doesn't appear to be a very good writer. Both Heavy Rain and Beyond Two Souls were shallow pulp dressed up as something with depth. And I don't really appreciate that sort of pretence.

That's my biggest concern with this: it's going to be iRobot, wearing the clothing of Bladerunner.

Still, all of their games are beautifully presented. It's a great studio. Lots of respect for them. But I think David Cage needs to dispose of his hipster beret.

Maybe he and kojima should work together and they will see how crazy each of them are and realized they should delegates the story writing to other people.

Or they'll like each other and results in Heavy Gear: Raining robots where the story are even more convoluted, with tons of forced "lessons", and crazy long cinematic full of QTE

It's sort of a simplistic adventure game with almost FMV-game level restrictions on what you can influence. Pretty but gets old, and it's not like the story is super original. The acting was pretty good though.

There's a youtuber I enjoy called supergreatfriend who recently did several comprehensive plays of it. That was revealing. He tried to do very different approaches to each character to test the boundaries of the game design.

Last edited:
It's sort of a simplistic adventure game with almost FMV-game level restrictions on what you can influence. Pretty but gets old, and it's not like the story is super original. The acting was pretty good though.

There's a youtuber I enjoy called supergreatfriend who recently did several comprehensive plays of it. That was revealing. He tried to do very different approaches to each character to test the boundaries of the game design.

i actually really liked Detroit as i like to play visual novel / kinetic novel yeaaaars ago. They are full of the usual anime drivel and anime logic and anime tropes that are waaaay more prevalent and ridiculous than detroit hahaha.

i actually really liked Detroit as i like to play visual novel / kinetic novel yeaaaars ago. They are full of the usual anime drivel and anime logic and anime tropes that are waaaay more prevalent and ridiculous than detroit hahaha.
Well then if you haven't played Beyond or Heavy Rain you might want to look them up too.

Well then if you haven't played Beyond or Heavy Rain you might want to look them up too. I probably wouldn't go back to Indigo Prophecy tho. Heh.

heavy rain too boring and the animation looks too dated. Beyond.... i cant stand scary games hahaha. I stopped when the girl goes into a dark room with icy temperature.

heavy rain too boring and the animation looks too dated. Beyond.... i cant stand scary games hahaha. I stopped when the girl goes into a dark room with icy temperature.
:) Hey that's right you told me that VR Penumbra wasn't going to work out too.

Beyond entertained me more than Heavy Rain. I liked the X-Files vibe. I feel like Heavy Rain and Detroit are pretty similar in how they play.

At least you have it a decent shot. I give up on games after 3 hrs if I know I won’t like it. So the entire walking simulator genre; I just cannot proceed. I try it here and there but it doesn’t do anything for me.

At least you have it a decent shot. I give up on games after 3 hrs if I know I won’t like it. So the entire walking simulator genre; I just cannot proceed. I try it here and there but it doesn’t do anything for me.

I don't blame you. I've got a few walking simulators sat on my PS4, and I always manage to find something better to do, like laundry, than play them.

I'm actually much the same as you. There have been quite a few roguelikes that I've started up thinking "maybe this one will grab me." Other than Rogue Legacy, none has, and I've stopped playing after a fairly short space of time. At least they usually cost less than a few pints.

Quantic Dreams' games are sort of like soy milk to me: with each sip, I alternate between liking it and not. So there's something there with their games that keeps enticing me, but not enough to make me hunger for them.

Have you tried any of Quantic Dreams' games? If not, I'm pretty sure at least Heavy Rain is on PSNow. If you're in lockdown, it may be worth your while to try out a week long trial. Streaming works surprisingly well.

I don't blame you. I've got a few walking simulators sat on my PS4, and I always manage to find something better to do, like laundry, than play them.

Since Xbox 360 era with kinect, I has been wishing developer to start using voice command properly.

Games like detroid would be awesome to play WHILE doing laundry, mopping floor, etc. (even better due to the versatility of remote play, just prop a tablet on kitchen)

Heck! Or while just lazying on a sofa or bed.

Simply say the voice command to control the character. Even better if in this modern times, the game have proper language processing. So the voice commands doesn't need to be rigid.

Last edited:
Back