Microsoft Xbox digital events [E3 2020 Replacements]

No, they also had the option to not overhype the show and to properly manage expectations of what would be shown.
They overhyped it? They said they're showing games running on XSX for the first time.
Yea I guess you can say they did, in that it's implied because it's next generation, that it would be mind blowing.

All these titles are likely running at 4K60 however. something I could not see on any stream, every stream was 1080/30

They overhyped it? They said they're showing games running on XSX for the first time.
Yea I guess you can say they did, in that it's implied because it's next generation, that it would be mind blowing

Calling it "First Look at Series X Gameplay" when there is barely any gameplay and has the "footage representative of expected Xbox Series X gameplay" disclaimer and tweets like this:

They absolutely overhyped it, it wasn't just people having expectations for no reason.

Out of all the xsx marketing this was probably the one that didn't want to get wrong.
I don't see why. As long as MS show something incredible before launch, they'll be alright. Doesn't matter when they show this, as long as it exists. If they don't have anything special to show, then they'll be in trouble no matter when they show filler content. But in that case, if they showed no games, people would be saying, "where are the games?" And if they have some 3rd party games to show that are decidedly cross-gen, they need to show these some time, so show them now.

It's not worse than Sony's bland showcases. I see no need for outrage.

Last edited:
It wasn't the disaster that some are making out, the art design is some of these games looked fantastic. That Giger one *looks* super nice, just moving about a 3D Giger painting is exciting to me.

June is the one they can't botch, there will be more events throughout summer.
And what's in the June one? Don't think we actually know.
July is 1P.
This one should've been putting best foot forward, good foundation from the gamers perspective. First xsx gameplay footage...
And let's be honest, very few will have positive
take away from this.

It wasn't the disaster that some are making out, the art design is some of these games looked fantastic. That Giger one *looks* super nice, just moving about a 3D Giger painting is exciting to me.
I think all of the games seem pretty cool, they deserved better.

The response is actually positive for individual game threads on resetera. People expected more, but some people discovered some new games. Not a complete shit show.
Individual youtube movies are now 4K@60.

Yea I guess you can say they did, in that it's implied because it's next generation, that it would be mind blowing.

All these titles are likely running at 4K60 however. something I could not see on any stream, every stream was 1080/30

No, they're done as
upload_2020-5-8_1-54-45.png
upload_2020-5-8_1-56-50.png
upload_2020-5-8_1-56-26.png

upload_2020-5-8_1-57-32.png
Madden is a bit different though.

Bloodlines 2 doesn't even claim anything so i didn't capture.

upload_2020-5-8_1-59-50.png
upload_2020-5-8_2-0-24.png

The medium doesn't claim anything either

upload_2020-5-8_2-2-4.png
upload_2020-5-8_2-2-59.png

Yakuza doesn't claim either.

and finally
upload_2020-5-8_2-5-33.png

Which suggests not running on XBSX, but on hardware representative of an XBSX.

I didn't watch the stream but caught up with trailers after. This seems about what you'd expect from smaller 3rd parties at this stage. Shame there was nothing mindblowing, but then that's as much about crossgen and budget as anything.

I don't see why. As long as MS show something incredible before launch, they'll be alright. Doesn't matter when they show this, as long as it exists. If they don't have anything special to show, then they'll be in trouble no matter when they show it. But in that case, if they showed no games, people would be saying, "where are the games?" And if they have some 3rd party games to show that are decidedly cross-gen, they need to show these some time, so show them now.

It's not worse than Sony's bland showcases. I see no need for outrage.
Whether people like it or not MS has a lot more to prove than Sony does, they will be forgiven if they have a bland show. But we don't know if that's the case yet. This show wasn't bad, the contents wasn't suitable for the first showing.

If messaging and its effects was simply show something amazing before launch, why even bother with any of these shows before hand?
First impressions count for a lot. And this was the first impressions of gameplay.

Same way we all knew XO would play games, but tv tv tv is still a meme up to this day. Because it was the main initial reveal of what to expect from the console.

No, they're done as
View attachment 3853
View attachment 3855
View attachment 3854

View attachment 3856
Madden is a bit different though.

Bloodlines 2 doesn't even claim anything so i didn't capture.

View attachment 3857
View attachment 3858

The medium doesn't claim anything either

View attachment 3859
View attachment 3860

Yakuza doesn't claim either.

and finally
View attachment 3861

Which suggests not running on XBSX, but on hardware representative of an XBSX.
yea and all these AA studios have XSX sitting on their desks at home? I'm not sure what the expectation is, most of these devkits are locked behind passcard doors at bigger AAA studios.

I'm confused here, everyone is let down by the graphics they saw, and you're telling me it can't run these games?

But the only things they had as options are:
a) don't ever showcase games like this and only AAA games only
b) have fewer shows to present information
It comes down to the question of whether this presentarion improved, made no impact or damaged the brand's reputation.
Overall youtube like/dislike numbers say it damaged, so this presentation was a mistake.

I suppose getting things out of the way now is better than later.
That assumes things were in the way, which is the predicament I'm arguing against. There was no need to make this presentation.
Show gameplay on the console's hardware when a) gameplay is ready to be shown and b) console or devkit with final hardware is ready. This presentation showed no gameplay and nothing running on SeriesX hardware, so it sends the message that neither is ready (regardless of it being true or not).
If they were going to show off pre-rendered or in-engine pre-scripted stuff that for all we know is running on $10000 PCs with a Quadro RTX 8000 they could have done so during E3 2019.

They said they're showing games running on XSX for the first time.
They said they would be showing the first gameplay on Series X (overhype), and then proceeded not to (underdeliver).
It's really that simple IMO.

Expectation is probably this.
View attachment 3862
And so the because it wasn't running on official release retail hardware, that it can't meet this level of performance?

They said they would be showing the first gameplay on Series X (overhype), and then proceeded not to (underdeliver).
It's really that simple IMO.
that's fine, but I'm not seeing anything particularly difficult for XSX to reach here.

LOL.

What do you all expect? Nobody expected this with the introduction of mid gen consoles?

The SX or 5 doesn’t offer 8 times more gpu performance, 10X+ RAM or whatever the usually jump in metrics typically seen in a generational jump.

How is MS or Sony suppose to wow you when you have been exposed to the OX and the Pro and their 4K or 1800p offerings? Especially with a bunch of AA launch window titles?

ArsTechnica article on the event: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/05/microsoft-shows-off-13-launch-window-games-for-xbox-series-x/

All the titles discussed today will run at full 4K resolutions and "up to 120 frames per second" on the Xbox Series X, Microsoft said, with support for "hardware-accelerated DirectX raytracing" to boot. Microsoft is also touting the Series X's high-speed SSD storage and high-bandwidth DirectStorage API as enabling a "super-fast load time" in these titles.

New Smart Delivery titles announced today include:
  • Call of the Sea (Raw Fury): A first-person puzzle-based adventure set in the waters of the South Pacific, set for late 2020.
  • Chorus (Deep Silver): A space shooter that follows the story of an ace pilot and her sentient starfighter, who are described as "dual protagonists." Coming in 2021.
  • Dirt 5 (Codemasters): The next chapter in the long-running off-road racing series. This one will feature the vocal talents of Troy Baker and Nolan North in the story-based Career Mode.
  • Scarlet Nexus (Bandai Namco): In the far future, Yuito Sumeragi and his team's psychokinetic powers are the only thing that can stop "deranged mutants" known as "the others" in this third-person melee action game.
  • Second Extinction (Systemic Reaction): A co-op shooter for up to three players with dinosaur targets in the vein of Ark: Survival Evolved.
  • The Ascent (Neon Giant/Curve Digital): A cyberpunk third-person RPG/shooter set amid the collapse of a world-spanning mega-corporation.
  • Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines 2 (Paradox): A sequel to the 2004 gothic action RPG, now set in Seattle.
  • Yakuza: Like a Dragon (Sega): The next game in the popular Japanese organized crime drama will be available on Xbox Series X on launch day, according to Sega. Also coming to Windows 10.

Back