Microsoft Xbox digital events [E3 2020 Replacements]

Traditionally for a new gen console launch, company have always front loaded their heavy hitters that really showcased what the systems can do and making a bang as big as possible, not teasing with second, third class $30 bargain bin titles. For the general audiences they're gonna think this new Xbox isn't all that different to their 1X and Pro, the leap in graphics is almost non existent, not to mention looking worse than what they can play currently. I hardly think this is the right approach.
You might be right in your disappointment.
But, these indie/AA studios have never had a larger spotlight. Honestly. That's massive for these studios. Usually these types of studios and games are completely ignored at E3 and get roasted by 1P/big AAA games if they're announced in the same time frame.

Even worse than I expected. Not a glimmer of anything really interesting that I noticed.

Post e3 world looks pretty bad. There's no guarantee anything will really even be shown in June (well, some Ps5 thing I guess, which might or not be cool). Instead of pushing reveal dates UP into May as I hoped, good 'ol videgames industry of course took the opportunity to do what they do best, delay, delay, delay. Real footage might not come until July now.

Inside Xbox is not the kind of show for this forum. Can be cringy. I think it fits their targeted demographics. I think most of us here are probably not included in that.

NO-ONE is included in that. It's fucking garbage.
I genuinely have never seen anyone say they actually *like* Inside Xbox even among the most dedicated Xbox fanboys.
It's warmed-over Spike TV slop.

They should axe it and replace it, it is actively damaging the Xbox brand at this point.

I'm actually skeptical we'll get that kind of show.
Not sure the show itself was the issue people will have, but what was shown.

Eh, it can't be that much worse than the "Indie" section of E3, can it? Well okay maybe it can if they spend too much time per title than what E3 affords. I think they should have kept AC:V out of a preview show and then not hyped this even any more than a normal InsideXBox show.

The summaries of InsideXbox are decent, but even I find their typical show to be a bit too long for what they're covering most of the time. I don't mind some special shows where they go deeper into interesting topics. Maybe it's because I keep up to date on most gaming news that I don't find much enjoyment on any weekly gaming news shows.

If they have something new to share, post it up as a new Xbox Blog first.

Reactions: Jay
I genuinely have never seen anyone say they actually *like* Inside Xbox even among the most dedicated Xbox fanboys.

They should axe it and replace it, it is actively damaging the Xbox brand at this point.
This wasn't really like the standard inside xbox. But I take your point.
Luckily I'm only mildly disappointed as I thought they had a couple big AAA 3P games lined up to show.

LOL Man, that's some next-gen level hyperbole there. Whatever you say!

Tommy McClain

Traditionally for a new gen console launch, company have always front loaded their heavy hitters that really showcased what the systems can do and making a bang as big as possible, not teasing with second, third class $30 bargain bin titles. For the general audiences they're gonna think this new Xbox isn't all that different to their 1X and Pro, the leap in graphics is almost non existent, not to mention looking worse than what they can play currently. I hardly think this is the right approach.

At this point I am starting to believe that they want their consoles to fail on purpose so that they can lure into expensive subscription services.

I am only half-joking, we have never seen next-gen events so underwhelming, it's nuts.

This is about what's to be expected for third party games still targeting current-gen consoles as well. It's a good thing to get this aspect out of the way now.

Save the great stuff for later in the summer and closer to launch.

Yep. It's the same thing every gen. It takes a few years for games to really start to look next-gen. We heard all of the complains last gen about how the games just looked like ps360 titles with higher resolution. Of course by the end of the gen that is not true at all.

Being facetious about it.
Isn't this what some people wanted?
Didn't want the the tech demos with shallow gameplay of launch titles that are next gen exclusives. :runaway:

Hard to believe xbox saw the assets and thought yea, this will blow their minds, 12TF of TNT

Not when you are forced to develop for a 1.3 TF machine. I have a feeling it's gonna get pretty brutal for Xbox for the first two years, wonder how their first party devs are dealing with the legacy consoles.

Honestly, you just make the xbox one version look like shit (worse than they already look). It's not like resolution is the only way they can scale.

This wasn't really like the standard inside xbox.

But Inside Xbox is always disappointing, corny and dumb no matter what.

LOL Man, that's some next-gen level hyperbole there. Whatever you say!

My wording might have been strong but i honestly believe what i wrote.
Inside Xbox is one of the few Xbox parts that still has that Mattrick 'stink' on it, they can and need to do much better because that 'stink' is going to keep people away.

My wording might have been strong but i honestly believe what i wrote.
Inside Xbox is one of the few Xbox parts that still has that Mattrick stink on it, they can do much better.

Had you responded that way instead I would have had more respect.

Tommy McClain

All I was trying to do is look for RT signs but all I could see were the usual wonky Screen space reflections. Literally my biggest nightmare. Yawn.

All I was trying to do is look for RT signs but all I could see were the usual wonky Screen space reflections. Literally my biggest nightmare. Yawn.

Serious question: How was first gen RT done on the PC?

Tommy McClain

This new version is available at 60 FPS, but I can't really see much of a difference. Perhaps the trailers were made at 30FPS?

Dirt has 120 fps mode, so that's pretty awesome. I hope that becomes more common. 4k60 or probably ~1440p120
I can't wait to try out a game like that on my LG C9. Though with VRR I wonder if anyone will ever notice the difference between e.g. 90 and 120FPS.
I also wonder if motion blur gets disabled at 120FPS, since that's what makes more sense? Also, Temporal AntiAliasing / upsampling should make the game super crisp at that resolution, so even below 1440p I'm sure it'll look awesome.

welcome to the power of production and unlimited budget vs reality. None of these games, bar AC Valhalla will never get anywhere close to what a AAA studio will spend making their titles, I think Sony continues to be an exception of exceptions when it comes to how long they are willing to just continually support developing their titles perpetually.

I'm sorry you guys were super disappointed by the graphics, lol, but for some of these smaller teams, they've come a pretty far way.

The showcase here was mainly on smaller studios, with the exception of Madden and AC Valhalla, everything you saw was AA or Indie.

There were very few indies in there. Codemasters, Paradox (Vampire Masquerade) and Bandai Namco aren't small, though I guess the later doesn't really try to make games with graphics above PS360 level anyway.
But with new and improved tools, these devs (AA if you will) should have been able to show something that is at least a bit of a step up over the current generation, yet we saw nothing of the sort.

My guess is as long as they also have to support a 1.3TFLOPs console with 68GB/s main memory bandwidth, there's only so much they can do without practically having to develop the same game on two different engines.

The first game, by FYQD is pretty surprising to be done by a single person? Is that right? That's pretty crazy.
I wonder if the thing about this being a single guy doing everything is true. It's not a guy doing the female protagonist's voice, right? He's doing all the sound and animation?
He's definitely not doing all the asset creation though, since he (or they?) admitted to be stealing assets from chinese forums.
Everything about this studio looks super sketchy IMO.

I remember how Killzone Shadow fall blew last gen out of the water.

Right now the downvotes are in the 10ks and upvotes at 4.4k.
They made the stream private but I saw how the downvotes blew up after Valhalla didn't really show any gameplay.

It's not that it doesn't suit this forum's taste, it probably didn't suit the target audience either.

Killzone Shadowfall was a 1st party PS4 exclusive, not a multi-platform cross-gen game. This was the 3rd-party showcase, not the Xbox exclusive showcase.

Back