General Next Generation Rumors and Discussions [Post GDC 2020]

I wouldn't think from that rendering that you could fit a large SOC in that setup without drilling many holes through it. The cross-section area the pillars have various levels have is also very small for any components with significant power consumption, and then they all span a notable distance before reaching a similarly modest heatsink. I suppose it is meant to look pretty rather than provide a concept matching how some expect a 100-200W SOC to be cooled?

I suppose they will give price and release date the 4th of june.

I'd like to see a poll on that. I wouldn't expect price announcements for either Sony or Microsoft until late August when Gamescom has their digital event.

Tommy McClain

I suppose they will give price and release date the 4th of june.
Depends on the ongoing game of chicken between MS and Sony. They each want the other to announce first to decide if they can break even or sell at a loss for competitive reason. They don't change the price after it was announced.

If one announce at 499 first the other have the opportunity to match it and not lose money, or go agressive with a lower price.

If one announce at 399 first, the other have the opportunity to either match it, or go 449 as a compromise to make it as close as possible without losing as much money (if they initially had 499 in mind).

If one announce 449 first, the other can go anywhere between 399 and 499 depending on how much they accept to lose money at launch, or how confident they are about their specific advantages.

But I can only see 449 or 499 as realistic possibilities anyway. 549 would be a ridiculous price, and 399 would be a massive loss on MS side (machined cast alu frame, big SoC, vapor chamber), and also quite a big loss on Sony's side depending on their target wattage and cooling solution. Neither have shown any willingness to lose more than about $50 per unit since the PS360 era.

(I predict that cast alu frame will disappear quickly, in favor of stamped sheet, as a silent revision)

I watched gdc spiderman post mortem talk. It's quite fascinating. Especially the streaming and asset optimization parts seem very relevant on next gen consoles and why ssd is really needed/how developers might implement streaming.

Yah, Elan Ruskin is highly respected and that is one of the more popular talks of the last while from a game development standpoint.

https://www.pttweb.cc/bbs/PC_Shopping/M.1588075782.A.C1E

不過最近大家可能比較關心天宮的副業

Arden最近是一波爆兵
那個量 不輸去年7/7前一個月的Navi10
整個產爆

然後同樣已經轉量產的OBR 靈壓直接消失
索索可能是嚇到閃尿

Sparkman開始試量產
這個很謎
我還是不知道它是不是軟軟的SoC

Some news from TSMC
Arden production is on fire. The amount being produced is not less than the entire launch month of Navi 10 last year.

At the same time Oberon has disappeared. Maybe Sony is scared?

Sparkman starts trial production. This chip is a mystery. I still do not know if it's a Microsoft SOC.

Better translation:

Last edited:
https://www.pttweb.cc/bbs/PC_Shopping/M.1588075782.A.C1E

Some news from TSMC
Arden production is on fire. The amount being produced is not less than the entire launch month of Navi 10 last year.

At the same time Oberon has disappeared. Maybe Sony is scared?

Sparkman starts trial production. This chip is a mystery. I still do not know if it's a Microsoft SOC.

Better translation:

Arden is XBOX and Oberon is the PS5 codename right?

"Sony is so frightened they wet their pants."

Yes, that's how mass production scheduling works.

Who said that, besides MrFox?
It's the translation.

Click.... click on the image....

EWtj4XKVAAA96Qo

Last edited by a moderator:
Back