Phablet is dead?

orangpelupa

Elite Bug Hunter
Legend
The latests were from 2018. After that, no more big screen phones, tons of tall screen phones tho.

In 2018 Huawei stopped after mate 20x and honor note 10. Xiaomi stopped after mi max 3.

It seems phablet is dead

They are still producing those note devices. Samsung, Xiaomi, etc. The interesting thing is that you have something like Xiaomi Redmi Note 8, Samsung Galaxy A50, Redmi K20, all have similar screen size (also all from 2019) and only one of them being called a "note" device.
Honestly, nobody cared about the phablet designation these days. Phablet size becomes normal size and from what I see, currently some people are not asking for normal sized phone but smaller phone like the old iPhone size (5" ish). Basically those 5" phone size is not the norm anymore. around 6" is the current norm.

Also surprisingly (at least for me), not until we reach around 6.7" in diagonal that the current tall devices will have bigger width than the old 5.3" devices. With the thicker bezel in old phones, even Note10+ device width is smaller than the first Note (77.2mm vs 82.95mm).

3dsmax_2020-04-12_23-14-29.jpg

Last edited:
They are still producing those note devices. Samsung, Xiaomi, etc. The interesting thing is that you have something like Xiaomi Redmi Note 8, Samsung Galaxy A50, Redmi K20, all have similar screen size (also all from 2019) and only one of them being called a "note" device.
Honestly, nobody cared about the phablet designation these days. Phablet size becomes normal size and from what I see, currently some people are not asking for normal sized phone but smaller phone like the old iPhone size (5" ish). Basically those 5" phone size is not the norm anymore. around 6" is the current norm.

Also surprisingly (at least for me), not until we reach around 6.7" in diagonal that the current tall devices will have bigger width than the old 5.3" devices. With the thicker bezel in old phones, even Note10+ device width is smaller than the first Note (77.2mm vs 82.95mm).

View attachment 3769

Yep. no more big screen, only tall screens.

Hmm. Taller is also bigger... Hmm what the apt English....

For the record the Xiaomi Redmi K30 (6.67") is a worthy upgrade to the Mi Max 3 as a big mid range smartphone.

My wife and I have two Motorola G7 Unlocked International phones coming this Thursday.

Motorola Moto G7 (64GB, 4GB RAM) Dual SIM 6.2" 4G LTE (GSM Only) Factory Unlocked Smartphone International Model XT1962-6 International Version No Warranty

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PZZLR4D/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Our total cost for the two phones is $181.36 which includes all taxes and shipping and includes a $100 credit opening an Amazon charge card. That works out to be $90.68 per phone. The link above now shows the price as $160 but when we purchased it was $129.96. We have already received two adapters (for FREE) so that we can use the international power chargers on the USA electric outlets.

FYI: Note that I use the description of "charge card" and not "credit card" as I pay off the balance in full so no interest is ever paid. I also close the card three months after it is paid off so that if another opportunity happens I can then again open a new card and save amounts just like the $100 I just did.

The Motorola G7 XT1962-6 works on the T-Mobile network here in the USA and we are going to use the new T-Mobile Connect service that offers Unlimited talk and text, and and 2GB per month of data that has Annual Data Upgrade of 500MB every year for the five years after the plan launches for only $16.54 per month including all taxes. On our current Total Wireless plan we never use more than 700MB of data per month so 2GB data is more than enough for us.

https://prepaid.t-mobile.com/plan-detail/t-mobile-connect

Our old plan with Total Wireless is costing us $63.46 per month so we will save $30.38 per month using T-Mobile Connect and pay off the cost of the phones in six months and then pocket savings of $364.56 annually going forward.

MOTOROLA MOTO G7 XT1962-6 full specifications
https://www.mobosdata.com/phone/motorola-moto-g7-xt1962-6

Last edited:
For the record the Xiaomi Redmi K30 (6.67") is a worthy upgrade to the Mi Max 3 as a big mid range smartphone.
It's tall like phones instead of wide like phablet tho.

Btw now I'm curious why people like tall phones? The taller it is, the harder it is to use. Especially since many apps are so adamant for putting interaction pinned on top.

Although for Android navigation itself it's not an issue due to gestures. Swipe up from bottom = open notifications, swipe left or right from left right edge = back.

I'm not sure it's a 'like' of tall as much as it is not liking a phone that is too wide for them to hold comfortably. My phone (s7 edge) is about as wide as I can hold and use at all with one hand. So wider would be a no go. Also any wider and it wouldn't fit in my back pocket.

It's tall like phones instead of wide like phablet tho.

Btw now I'm curious why people like tall phones? The taller it is, the harder it is to use. Especially since many apps are so adamant for putting interaction pinned on top.

Although for Android navigation itself it's not an issue due to gestures. Swipe up from bottom = open notifications, swipe left or right from left right edge = back.

Anything with a >6" display is essentially a phablet no matter how wide it is (note that the Max 3 is losing more than a bit on bezels compared to a K30). Apart from that you get used to it. I own the Mi Max 3 since its launch and while I had a bit of a hard time getting used to its size, I don't think I can go back to anything smaller now. Biggest win I don't need a tablet anymore for bed reading and it's comfortable to hold since it's times lighter than any tablet.

For the width of such a monster: you're definitely not tempted to pick up the phone while your driving anymore. Either pick a hands free solution instead or simply pull over the car and answer any incoming call. As for pockets it still fits in all my pockets even the front pockets. People just think now that I'm much more delighted to see them than before LOL :D

Last edited:
Anything with a >6" display is essentially a phablet no matter how wide it is (note that the Max 3 is losing more than a bit on bezels compared to a K30). Apart from that you get used to it. I own the Mi Max 3 since its launch and while I had a bit of a hard time getting used to its size, I don't think I can go back to anything smaller now. Biggest win I don't need a tablet anymore for bed reading and it's comfortable to hold since it's times lighter than any tablet.

For the width of such a monster: you're definitely not tempted to pick up the phone while your driving anymore. Either pick a hands free solution instead or simply pull over the car and answer any incoming call. As for pockets it still fits in all my pockets even the front pockets. People just think now that I'm much more delighted to see them than before LOL :D
yeah wide phones need time to get accustomed haha.

years ago i was using LG G pro 2, a bit smaller than Mi Max 3 and it was awesome after some time. The latest i used was Samsung Galaxy Note 8 and its not wide enough. Gave it to my dad, now currently im using Asus Fonepad 8 ROFL. I look super silly when i used it for phone call. But its awesome to read comics, watch videos (even movies) on bed.

the 2GB RAM is really limiting, thus im looking for something cheap and big. Btw there's a rumor Mi 10S will be wide instead of just tall. But dunno how expensive it will be.... Historically Mi 10 series are rather expensive

A 4GB Max 3 should cost around 140 EUR these days and they're all running Android 10 flawless; downside the SoC is low end for today's measures. Considering the Redmi K30 is similar in sizes with the 10S if I recall correctly, the first starts at 240 EUR right now with a Snapdragon 730, while the K30 PRO which carries a Snapdragon 865 starts at around 430 EUR. I wouldn't expect the 10S or Lite to be significantly cheaper, rather the opposite.

yeah mi 10s probably gonna be expensive with SD 865.
I was eyeing Mi Max 3 but its too old to find new in the marketplace. Tons of used ones tho.

now i keep looking at Huawei Mate 20 x, used. Seems awesome, but its really expensive. I'm not comfortable spending that much money for a phone. A thing that got high risk of being broken, stolen, missing. Yeah, its mostly just paranoia, as phone are usually durable stuff that wont broken even when dropped from a desk.

EDIT: turns out its SoC have quite slow GPU for its price. blergh https://www.notebookcheck.net/Mali-G76-MP10-vs-Adreno-640-vs-Adreno-630_9038_9446_8780.247598.0.html

Last edited:
I'm not sure what the title means.

Phablets didn't die, they just became the norm. The "small" Galaxy S20 that is sold nowadays is pretty much as big as Galaxy Note7.

XkljEFf.png

When most of the phones have 5.5" screens or more, then everything is a phablet, then nothing is a phablet. They're all just phones.

I'm not sure what the title means.

Phablets didn't die, they just became the norm. The "small" Galaxy S20 that is sold nowadays is pretty much as big as Galaxy Note7.

XkljEFf.png

When most of the phones have 5.5" screens or more, then everything is a phablet, then nothing is a phablet. They're all just phones.
the title was explained badly in the post. i should be clearer that phablet is not tall. But big. as in its also wide.

nowadays, the "phablet" you mentioned are phone with taller screens. AFAIK people simply call them phones.

Back