Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB NVMe M.2 ready for Next-Gen gaming?

Pinstripe

Newcomer
I'm about to buy this SSD, but wanted to be sure this thing is capable of handling future Xbox Series X ports as well. Loading times are ~3200MB/s, so should be within specs. Or will there be SSDs released later that have any "special sauce" and wait instead? Thank in advance.

Just make sure you properly cool and vent it. Or expect throttled speeds or a dead chip sooner than expected.
You can probably get away with a regular ssd for a while longer. Once direct storage is released you can probably still get away with it.

I think when titles “recommend” 4-5GB/s nvme drives is then the time to start getting vested. Hopefully by then prices come down.

you only have 1? M.2 slot?

Loading times are ~3200MB/s,
Dont judge a ssd entirely on sequential speed (sure its important for game loading) iops matters too
ps: there is a 970 evo plus
"The 970 EVO Plus reaches sequential read/write speeds up to 3,500/3,300 MB/s, up to 53%‡ faster than the 970 EVO. "
- Sequential Read: 3500MB/s
- Sequential Write: 3300MB/s
- Random Read (4KB, QD32): 600,000 IOPS
- Randwom Write (4KB, QD32): 550,000 IOPS
- Random Read (4KB, QD1): 19,000 IOPS
- Random Write (4KB, QD!): 60,000 IOPS

There are also pci-e v4.0 drives out there (evo is v3.0)
Remember if you need even more speed you can raid nvme drives

you only have 1? M.2 slot?
You can buy things like this
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/aqua...sd-m-key-with-passive-heatsink-cc-000-aq.html

Last edited:
Alright thanks for the answers guys. But I think I'll just wait a bit longer until Microsoft makes some more clarifications with Direct Storage and all that shebang.

I have that drive, honestly I dont notice any difference at all in realworld usage from my last 500MB/s SSD, even though this is meant to be 6x quicker

Thats true, the biggest jump is from a mechanical hdd to normal sata ssd every other jump is smaller it's diminishing returns that why I didnt spend the extra getting a pci-e 4.0 drive
Mda5gk1.jpg

The kc400 is a sata ssd

Last edited:
Frankly I still find hard drives to be acceptable storage for most games. The OS definitely needs a SSD though.

I have that drive, honestly I dont notice any difference at all in realworld usage from my last 500MB/s SSD, even though this is meant to be 6x quicker

You're missing the point. I'm only interested in a NVMe for future XSX games. I know that current games with old file formats and stuff are barely better than normal SATA SSDs.

You're missing the point. I'm only interested in a NVMe for future XSX games. I know that current games with old file formats and stuff are barely better than normal SATA SSDs.

Then yeah, it's best to see what direct storage is about, and the release of next gen games. Because for all I know, MS won't make exclusif XSX games for 1 or 2 years. So they will have to deal with hdd still..

If you're only interested in future XSX games then just wait? Why buy something now when you know it will be cheaper and better by the time you actually need it?

To your original question, the 970EVO will probably outperform the XSX SSD in every measure except raw throughput (PCIe3 vs PCIe4). What this means when it comes to games nobody knows. But by the time XSX is out Samsung will have PCIe4 drives available that will certainly outperform it. And depending on how long the new consoles get delayed, we might have PCIe5 by the time they release.

Wait for what? Until Covid-19 breaks down all supply chains and I won't be able to get anything?

Either way, decided to buy a WD Black SN750 and I'm very happy with it.

Wait for what? Until Covid-19 breaks down all supply chains and I won't be able to get anything?

Either way, decided to buy a WD Black SN750 and I'm very happy with it.
If supply chains break down then the consoles will be delayed as well. Actually I think it's pretty likely at this point that the new consoles will see some sort of delay from all this.

Back