Final Fantasy VII Remake

How do this guys do it? :p I mean....breaking the rules of the game?
Dunno, I was gonna try it myself but my dad suddenly asked me to do some 3d animation. Blergh...

Generally you would need to mess around with the animation or look for holes. But that video showed that simply turning back in the beginning allows you to noclip... So weird...

Just finished. Wow, what a wild ride! The ending will definitely be very divisive, but I liked it. Let's hope they are able to unravel what's coming next in a satisfying way. This could go down very good or a disaster depending on it.

The texture issues in this game really make me cry out for a PS5. Shocking how some textures simply do not load, or take ages to. And a lot of them are simply super low res. Almost PS3 era textures. And the loading times. I can’t. Where’s my PS5 already.

Loving everything else though.

Last edited:
The glitches from the demo are all been fixed. Including the weird audio mixing. Center channel still louder than I prefer but it's properly mixed, unlike the demo.

Yep the inconsistent texture quality is jarring.

Btw the way the heroes dresses really tickles me up hahahaha. They are a terrorist group that really have all the bling, zero subtleties. Even the secret base entrance have loud ring tone LOL.

Btw the game got the same issues as ffxv: you can limp thru any battles by spamming magic and items. At least up to chapter 5. Currently still ik chapter 6 but stopped playing.

The game becomes tougher after the middle point, enemies really start getting immunities and strong elemental/special attacks.

It’s not jarring, it’s pretty much unacceptable that a game with this budget can ship in this condition, in 2020.
Yeah this is starting to get on my nerves a bit, but I've noticed something, any time you're in the slums or underneath Shinra the texture issue become very prominent, however as soon as you're above the slums or on Shinra without that sky dome the graphics go back to awesome again. This is pretty telling to me that the texture budget simply couldn't keep up with rendering such a huge sky dome, the resources are simply used up and you had to make do with reduced res or..simply not loading any at all lol. That dome could be all polygon and high res texture after all? That's just my theory. Hope I'm wrong tho and things get fixed via a patch, the Slums would look so much better with proper textures.

But, the worst offender is doors... That looks identical.... Surely it only need small amounts of memory.

Btw the game have real-time reflection, even for stuff that should not need to have real-time reflection and the reflection looks very subtle. Just look for shiny but rough surface. It will reflect objects including chest, cloud, sword.

It looks very faint because the surface is rough. But why spend resource doing reflection for something so uselessly subtle?

Maybe it's a bug? Maybe a bug that made the slum have so many stuff doing real-time reflection (that are really really subtle)?

But, the worst offender is doors... That looks identical.... Surely it only need small amounts of memory.

Btw the game have real-time reflection, even for stuff that should not need to have real-time reflection and the reflection looks very subtle. Just look for shiny but rough surface. It will reflect objects including chest, cloud, sword.

It looks very faint because the surface is rough. But why spend resource doing reflection for something so uselessly subtle?

Maybe it's a bug? Maybe a bug that made the slum have so many stuff doing real-time reflection (that are really really subtle)?
I think SSR is more of a computing, bandwidth case which isn't related here, poor texture res or streaming is either an engine issue or memory quantity issue.

Sony got caught cheating again

424f3ca5067a681f3087fqsk6h.jpg

So, I've been watching this and it's a magnificent remake of parts of the original game that incorporates many iconic scenes and fights from it but isn't afraid to deviate from the original if the current team feels it is beneficial to the story they want to tell.

But it got me thinking about a discussion that went on in another thread involving next generation consoles. Especially when I see things like this.

I think SSR is more of a computing, bandwidth case which isn't related here, poor texture res or streaming is either an engine issue or memory quantity issue.

Or a cost of development issue.

I think FF7 remake is a prime example of how development costs increase rather dramatically with each generation of consoles. Newer generations can do more "things" and store more "things" (carts -> CDs -> DVDs -> BRDs -> DD) so need more "things" or higher quality "things" created for games on those consoles.

And thus we see a progression where larger and larger development teams are needed and more and more development time is required. We went from single digit development teams to now teams in the hundreds. We go from development time in terms of months to finish a title to development time in terms of years to finish titles.

And in many cases, we see a decrease in the scope of modern titles compared to past titles.

FF7 Remake has a significantly larger team that took a significantly longer time to make a game that is a fraction of the scale of the original. Limiting the game to Midgar allows them to reuse locations and assets that they wouldn't have been able to do with a larger world in a game with a larger scale. They can pad out sections with more side quests and more time spent on sections of the story to keep players in the same location for longer periods of time in order to better use the available development resources (developers and time). They can revisit locations multiple times to again make more efficient use of manpower and time. And since it's always in Midgar almost any asset created for the game can be reused multiple times in multiple locations.

Looking at the game thus far, in total FF7R is probably around 1/4 to 1/3 the size and scope of the original. And it required far more developers, far more time, and thus far more money to create.

We see a similar effect with Bethesda's Elder Scrolls series where we see the world and scope of each game shrink as demands for increased graphical detail and world complexity increase, hence increasing the time of development as well as manpower required.

This is only going to get worse with the next generation of consoles. Other than RT which can potentially help reduce the time needed to implement good lighting, everything else is going to increase the demands placed upon developers and increase the time required (which can be offset to some degree with having a significantly larger development team) to create a game.

I've seen some people mention procedural generation as a potential solution to the problem. I'm not sure it's a good solution or the best solution, but it may end up being a required solution unless we want games to shrink even further in terms of scope and scale.

NOTE - this mostly applies to AAA developers which can't afford to lower graphical detail in order to go with a larger scale and scope. For example, compare the scope of a prior indie AA developer, Obsidian's Divinity Original Sin games (large scope, lower graphical focus) versus The Outer Worlds (much MUCH smaller scope but larger graphical focus).

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Yeah this is starting to get on my nerves a bit, but I've noticed something, any time you're in the slums or underneath Shinra the texture issue become very prominent, however as soon as you're above the slums or on Shinra without that sky dome the graphics go back to awesome again. This is pretty telling to me that the texture budget simply couldn't keep up with rendering such a huge sky dome, the resources are simply used up and you had to make do with reduced res or..simply not loading any at all lol. That dome could be all polygon and high res texture after all? That's just my theory. Hope I'm wrong tho and things get fixed via a patch, the Slums would look so much better with proper textures.

I know that there’s much better things to worry about, but it really, really is spoiling my experience.

The game is one corridor after the next, with very little extra detail in the form of objects scattered around and it quite literally feels like this Remake was started as a PS2-PS3 game which has now been copy and pasted here. They obviously upgraded the characters and some other things but a huge part of the environment is from a 15 year old generation.

I also thought maybe it was a PS4 not being able to keep up issue but I’m sorry, we have seen launch games which had environments with hundreds of times more detail, and more open at the same time too!

We’ve even seen UE4 games with much bigger and more open environments and much, much better detail in them.

Heck, FFXV looked much better consistently, in a fully open world, than this corridor walking simulator.

I’m really mad.

Last edited:
Uh, did my ps4 pro failed to load some object? The flowerbed cutscene was really weird.

when the girl showed something to cloud, there's nothing other than her hair and ribbon

but a huge part of the environment is from a 15 year old generation.
Yep, including the fake groundbox. It's a 2d image "skybox" that used to Visualize the sprawling slum below

Btw Gena rally the game feels like it was a less polished uncharted 4. It follows the "linear wide", really linear, and set pieces formula. But less polished

Yep, including the fake groundbox. It's a 2d image "skybox" that used to Visualize the sprawling slum below

The worst.

Right now I’m in the (very long) part after you escape the church with Aerith and I cannot believe my eyes. This is not a texture loading issue. This is the actual game. This is literally PS2 level graphics running at 30fps on a PS4 (Pro) and they think this is ok?
After making damn sure that the demo looked absolutely pristine?
I’m really mad.

The worst.

Right now I’m in the (very long) part after you escape the church with Aerith and I cannot believe my eyes. This is not a texture loading issue. This is the actual game. This is literally PS2 level graphics running at 30fps on a PS4 (Pro) and they think this is ok?
After making damn sure that the demo looked absolutely pristine?
I’m really mad.

Seems like ffxv. Good first half then it goes downhill. The experience become a mix of polished and unpolished.

But at least there's no jarring missing story points

Back