What are you playing now? [2018-2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.
As well as NookSlaveSimulator, I just restarted a play through of Skyrim. While I'm still a bit of a sneaky archer, mostly I'm hitting people in the face with my sword. So that's progress! :yep2:

I am *still* playing Beat Saber PSVR, in game clock (which only counts actual playtime) approaching 80 hours.

The new Timbaland pack adds some nice new tracks too, although I like the Monstercat packs the best along with the 3rd official set. And I still occasionally try some of the insanely difficult tracks too and am still a long way away from completing any of those on Expert+ without the help of no-fail mode [emoji16]

Nier: Automata via GamePass - already on [C]/[D] playthrough. Really like the... plot. :V

Hope Platinum Games is working on a sequel although I have no idea about the greater Drakengard/Nier universe. The plot twist reveal during 9S story makes me question the point of anything further! (meta-twist).

I'll wait for another sale, but I may end up buying it to own as I've already sunk 24 hours into it.

Love the OST, or at least a few of the main tracks.

Bought "World of Horror" game from steam. It's in early access. Weirdest game I have played in a while. Horror game with point&click interface and card like game for battles. It's also quite random so every game is different and so far I have just kept dying and not managed to get through whole game. I like it, but this definitely is not for everyone. Gives me similar feeling when I was young and didn't understand how to play games and just tried randomly.

oh, weirdest part, it's black and white and made by a dentist in poland. Most graphics made in mspaint.

Doom Eternal has a feature that adjusts the rendering resolution to maintain framerate. My GTX970 was literally never dropping below 60fps which I thought was cool, then I noticed the game just gets blurrier instead of dropping frames. This is very cool.
I still haven't tried that feature. I keep thinking changing resolutions will make a big blink in the gameplay, it just adds fuzzy for a bit?

Thanks, gonna try playing with it a little now. My RX580 is pretty good at everything 1920x1080, but some games have slow spots. Another trick to add to the gaming arsenal, appreciate it. :)

Eh yo.

I'm playing Gears 5 , since it's free this week end (steam). I've all and ultra and stuff, but the textures are kind of blurry, my guess is another kind of TAA (I hate that on pc for modern gaming...). Any way in the .ini and stuff to disable it ? Because right now it looks way too soft... I know I can adjust the sharpness, but it's not very effective.

I still haven't tried that feature. I keep thinking changing resolutions will make a big blink in the gameplay, it just adds fuzzy for a bit?

Thanks, gonna try playing with it a little now. My RX580 is pretty good at everything 1920x1080, but some games have slow spots. Another trick to add to the gaming arsenal, appreciate it. :)
Yea it literally just makes the game blurrier. The UI and stuff stays at native res. It works really well. I mean like really well. Why more games don't do this?

Funny thing is, this only seems to kick in at slow/transition areas when I'm fucking around looking at the scenery. In actual fights the game seems to never drop below 1080p60. A testament to id's optimization and level design imo.

Yea it literally just makes the game blurrier. The UI and stuff stays at native res. It works really well. I mean like really well. Why more games don't do this?

VRR is the lazy way out. Variable resolution is superior in almost every way from a gameplay perspective, IMO, but it requires work on the developer's part to make it responsive enough that it provides a stable framerate.

It also isn't something you can capture and show off in a screenshot which makes it bad for marketing or pushing your e-peen on a forum. :p

Funny thing is, this only seems to kick in at slow/transition areas when I'm fucking around looking at the scenery. In actual fights the game seems to never drop below 1080p60. A testament to id's optimization and level design imo.

The question is, when the action kicks up, are you going to notice if it is or isn't 1080p versus when there is no action and you can take your time and just stare at the image? Also, in motion temporal resolution will kick in and the image will appear higher resolution than what each individual frame is.

Regards,
SB

VRR is the lazy way out. Variable resolution is superior in almost every way from a gameplay perspective, IMO, but it requires work on the developer's part to make it responsive enough that it provides a stable framerate.

I feel it shouldn't be either or choice. Combination of vrr + dynamic resolution would be more optimal. Allow some amount of variability in refresh rate to make it easier/more efficient to implement dynamic resolution. Also allow user to choose how much resolution is ok. to loose. If resolution is going way too low the framerate can give up some to keep up the clarity. If user targets for example 90Hz allow the combined algorithm to hover somewhere around 80-100 to make predicting what to render easier. Trying to hit solid 90 and never below would mean the rendering resolution likely would have to be slightly too low as it's rather difficult to predict perfectly what resolution is needed for each frame to hit exactly 90Hz.

Games might also occasionally hit cpu bottlenecks where lowering rendering resolution wouldn't help but vrr would help.

Big part of the vrr to me is that it tends to come with higher refresh rate monitors. 60Hz is too little, 144Hz is excessive for me. For my eyes the sweet spot is somewhere around 90Hz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back