PS3 Revisiting thread [2020]

tuna

Veteran
I felt an urge to revisit some PS3 games so I unpacked my PS3 and started gaming. Here are some impressions.

Console: My HDMI output seems wonky and takes about 5 minutes before it works correctly. Weird as hell.....
Also, the update and game download process on the PS3 is crappy as hell.

One great thing is that games you bought on another PSStore is playable on all accounts. I could play some japanese games without logging in as my jap PSN user (unlike the PS4 and the Vita).

There are also some games in stereo 3D which is pretty cool!

Games then....

Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction: Really nice and accessible game which feels really smooth and nice. I really like the flying as well...
Can we have a PS4 remaster please?

Virtua Striker
Old Model 2 AM2 football game only released in Japan. Pretty limited but my kids love watching me play it for some unknown reason.

GT6: The Spanish mountain course feels awesome, like a realistic OutRun with boring environments!

OutRun2: Best racing game ever. Feels so good!

Daytona USA: Next best racing game ever!

I also played some Grandia and Puzzle Bobble 2, and those are also really nice!

I beat Resistance 3 a couple of weeks ago. I've mainly been playing that series, Killzone series, Infamous, Beyond Two Souls, and wanted to check out Crysis 2 on it for kicks. It's all part of my way-behind-the-times very-casual PS3 exploration. ;)

Gran Turismo 5 took like hours to get updated. (Why does this thing have GigE when I can't get it to do more than 30megabit/s?)

Last edited:
I only want one thing for next-gen.
I loved the Motorstorm games. The first was definitely my favourite despite the insane load times and lack of gameplay modes.

I used to love racing games but I burnt out on Gran Turismo 1 and 2 on the original PlayStation doing those 24 hours races in realtime. Motorstorm rekindled my love for racing with attitude. It just felt as great to drive, like you're always in control but always just about to lose control. So good. :(

I've played a little Motorstorm but I was much more into the Dirt series back then. But I haven't played much in the way of racing since Dirt 3.

I bought a PS1 only for Gran Turismo but that's the only member of that series I did. I've never been much into city racing like that. I think my favorite console racer back then was actually N64's Top Gear Rally.

StarDust was awesome and Flow as well. Simple games, yet so addicting.

PS3 had a very rough start. And then this happened.GDC 07.

For me this is the turning point for PS3, by that time Kutaragi was out and Hirai completed changed the strategy. Uncharted was released that same year, the console price was cut several times, multi-platform support improved. I remember 2008 to be a very slow year, playing mostly multi platform games like MW until MGS4 came out.

Then 2009 came, and Sony had several triple AAA exclusive titles ready for release.

By that time, PS3 was the second best selling platform and the WII was already loosing steam.

From 2010 onwards you could clearly see an evolving strategy to a more mature model. PS+ arrived, 3rd party support kept improving (you could use you PS ID to connect to Steam¡¡¡, remember that?) and then some real gems like Journey or The Last of Us were released.

It's amazing how Sony was able to recover in 2-3 years and sell almost 90 million units, Europe and Japan kept the console alive long enough for the big games to arrive. Microsoft did a lot of things right that generation and still finished 3rd, having a more advanced GPU, lower price and releasing a year before (ever more as PS3 was supply constrained for several months).

My favorites games of that generation, by far. And I'd say Journey stands above any other, but I think it really depends on your first experience with the game and with your personality.

edit: The music, the art, and the emotional component in coop. It's perfect.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have weirder motivations.

I'm most fascinated with seeing Crysis 2/3 looking as good as they do on a GPU that's only like 75% of a 7900GTX card. I'm more impressed with these than Killzone 3 or Resistance 3. Though they too have some impressive moments. Killzone 3's lighting seems weirdly wrong though. Resistance 3 took the resolution to like a new low but looks pretty fancy. Playing on an OLED is part of the problem though because you can see dynamic range and banding problems very clearly.

I get a kick out of the excitement over NVidia Quincunx AA too. Reading old articles and threads. It's GeForce 3 tech man. The original XBox used it too.... It looks interesting at super high resolution, but not so much at sub 720p. But on the other hand, the MLAA and FXAA back then sucked maybe worse. Killzone 3's MLAA is not very effective.

Of course games like Uncharted 2/3 and TLOU are extremely impressive. Heavy Rain and Beyond are too.

Last edited:
One great thing is that games you bought on another PSStore is playable on all accounts. I could play some japanese games without logging in as my jap PSN user (unlike the PS4 and the Vita).
You can do that on PS4.

That's how I use my ps4. I play on my US account, but the games are from EU, JP, AU accounts.

You just need to set your console as primary. It's inside one of the settings

I have weirder motivations.

I'm most fascinated with seeing Crysis 2/3 looking as good as they do on a GPU that's only like 75% of a 7900GTX card. I'm more impressed with these than Killzone 3 or Resistance 3. Though they too have some impressive moments. Killzone 3's lighting seems weirdly wrong though. Resistance 3 took the resolution to like a new low but looks pretty fancy. Playing on an OLED is part of the problem though because you can see dynamic range and banding problems very clearly.

I get a kick out of the excitement over NVidia Quincunx AA too. Reading old articles and threads. It's GeForce 3 tech man. The original XBox used it too.... It looks interesting at super high resolution, but not so much at sub 720p. But on the other hand, the MLAA and FXAA back then sucked maybe worse. Killzone 3's MLAA is not very effective.

Of course games like Uncharted 2/3 and TLOU are extremely impressive. Heavy Rain and Beyond are too.
What about Killzone 2? the muzzle flash and those dynamic shadows were amazing

I suppose it was a good game for the time. If you are into linear wave shooters. I haven't beat it because I just get bored with it. I'm pretty far into it though. The "you are playing narrated pieces of history" missions makes it feel like just a series of levels whipped up and kills attachment to any characters I think.

Resistance 3 is I think the best of the series with its moments of similarities to Half Life 2 when you get to take in some quieter periods of exploration seeing the conquered world. It also tries to attach you to some characters. But it devolves into a simple linear wave shooter most of the time. The campaign does have a lot of variety though. It also has some weirdness like sound effects from I think Everquest 2(?) and guns that magically level up with new powers.

Last edited:
This trailer was pretty epic back then.

Resistance was my first console first person shooter. It look me a while to get over my anti-controller bias and just work with the controller rather than feel like I was fighting against it. I've preferred controllers for FPS games (even on PC) ever since. I don't care that precisions clicking with a mouse is better, I much prefer the more fluid movement. Absolutely precise control about how quickly I can turn or how fast or slow I can move. Once that hit me, there was no going back to KB+M for me.

You can do that on PS4.

That's how I use my ps4. I play on my US account, but the games are from EU, JP, AU accounts.

You just need to set your console as primary. It's inside one of the settings

You still have to log in every so often...but yes, essentially don’t have to log in each time once set as primary.

You still have to log in every so often...but yes, essentially don’t have to log in each time once set as primary.

That's interesting.
It should not do that. Maybe a bug (PSN is buggy, not as buggy as windows store tho) or someone accessed your account?

Primary should be forever (online and or offline) unless it was revoked from website (IIRC limited to only a few times a year) or from your ps4 or from other ps4.

I have a few accounts that set my ps4 as primary since launch and it still sticks. Even when I was working in the middle of nowhere with no internet for 2 years, the primary setting sticks just fine.

Btw
Long time ago when psn was hacked or there were massive password leak (I can't Reem r which one), the ps4 subreddit was flooded with people "can't play game offline", so the conclusion was someone logged into their account and take over the primary ps4 setting. The solution was password change, activate 2fa, and re activate ps4 as primary.

Edit: this is how psn work on vita. Maybe ps4 ps3 is similar.

IIRC PSN licenses are checked independently from account login. As long as the console has been set as a primary on that account (and for vita, your one account automatically sets the vita as primary).

My ps vita was running a hacked firmware but due to this separation of licensing and login, I still able to buy digital games from PSN website and my hacked vita will download the game just fine without I'm logging in to PSN.

Same with ps plus. It automatically detects my extension despite I didn't login to PSN.

Sony changed that in one of the updates tho. Requiring a weird dance of "flight mode" a s a bunch more I cant remember before vita will start the download without login to psn.

Last edited:
That's interesting.
It should not do that. Maybe a bug (PSN is buggy, not as buggy as windows store tho) or someone accessed your account?

Primary should be forever (online and or offline) unless it was revoked from website (IIRC limited to only a few times a year) or from your ps4 or from other ps4.

I have a few accounts that set my ps4 as primary since launch and it still sticks. Even when I was working in the middle of nowhere with no internet for 2 years, the primary setting sticks just fine.

Btw
Long time ago when psn was hacked or there were massive password leak (I can't Reem r which one), the ps4 subreddit was flooded with people "can't play game offline", so the conclusion was someone logged into their account and take over the primary ps4 setting. The solution was password change, activate 2fa, and re activate ps4 as primary.

Edit: this is how psn work on vita. Maybe ps4 ps3 is similar.

IIRC PSN licenses are checked independently from account login. As long as the console has been set as a primary on that account (and for vita, your one account automatically sets the vita as primary).

My ps vita was running a hacked firmware but due to this separation of licensing and login, I still able to buy digital games from PSN website and my hacked vita will download the game just fine without I'm logging in to PSN.

Same with ps plus. It automatically detects my extension despite I didn't login to PSN.

Sony changed that in one of the updates tho. Requiring a weird dance of "flight mode" a s a bunch more I cant remember before vita will start the download without login to psn.

I think it’s when they change the terms, so you have to manually log in and accept the new terms.

Doesn’t happen often, but I notice because I have kids using my PS4 so g thy hey lose access to me games and I need to log in.

I almost lost my US account because of this, long story short, a while back someone stole my UK account- I managed to get it back but when I did I activated F2A on all my accounts. Fast forward and my US games stopped working, and when I tried to log on I realised I had a new mobile with no way to log onto my US account!

Even longer story short, I managed to sweet talk O2 into recovering my old number- it was a bit convoluted but got there eventually!

Back